topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Startup Software Needed  (Read 4693 times)

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Startup Software Needed
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:44 AM »
I have one laptop and one desktop computer:  Win 7, Home Premium, 64 Bit, plenty of RAM & hard drive space.

What I'm needing is software that will monitor, in real time, any application that tries to install itself on my computer, whether as a program or as a registry entry. When it detects such software I want an alert to popup letting me know and having me either give permission to allow it, or telling the computer to block / delete it. This monitor function would reside in the system tray.

The software will also have an autoblock feature that will enable an automatic block if the software tries to repeatedly install itself. And finally, this software would also have an internet search capability so I could search for info on software that wants to run at startup that is unfamiliar to me.

Additionally, the application would serve as a startup manager, listing all startup applications and registry entries running at startup. The manager function would also allow me to add, delete, disable, and edit startup entries, both as applications and as registry entries.

Though I'm posting it here as a freeware / donationware request, I'm willing to bet that people would pay for software that can do this, e.g., it has commercial potential! Questions gladly answered, and any suggested changes willingly considered. Thank you in advance,

BearPup7

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Startup Software Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:00 PM »
WinPatrol, perhaps?

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Thank you for replying. I'm aware of WinPatrol, and it has way too many other functions that I find overwhelming to deal with (cookies, services, processes, a multitude of tabs, etc.). I'm looking for a dedicated 64 Bit capable app that can do just this startup monitor and management function.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:10 PM »
I use winpatrol *just* for the features you request BearPup.
I've always ignored all the other stuff it has. It doesnt use much memory, and less cpu.
I believe you have to get the paid version for the online lookup - I dont think it will do a search - but gives you info from the winpatrol databank.
Tom

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:40 PM »
Thanks for replying. As I said, I've always felt overwhelmed by it, but I'll give it another look and see if I can ignore all the other stuff that seems to come with it.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:17 PM »
I think WinPatrol might be your best option as what you're requesting is not at all trivial to code.

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Didn't think of it as trivial, but I also thought it would be more of a "list, watch, and warn" type of software. However, I'm not a coder, and willingly take your word for it. So, I'll give WinPatrol another try. Thank you for taking a look at this.

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 05:18 PM »
appguard

BearPup7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Thanks for the idea, but I don't think that AppGuard will do what I'm looking for. Yes, it theoretically will block malicious code, but I'm looking for a lot more than just that. But again, thanks for the thought.