topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Show HD fragmentation in tray  (Read 5269 times)

ade1952

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Show HD fragmentation in tray
« on: May 06, 2006, 06:51 PM »
Hi,

I've been looking for a long time for a program that could take the place of a program I used 4/5 years ago that informed the user of the fragmentation level of your hdd unfortunately the program doesn't work on XP however just recently another program has appeared but the freeware version only allows for hdd up to 80gb what I would like to see is something for any size hdd and can also sit in the system tray near the clock monitoring in the background showing a real time figure and then perhaps flashing when reaching a predefined danger level.

Heres hoping.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 03:04 AM by brotherS »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fragmentation
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 09:41 PM »
I feel like I'm stating the obvious here but XP, like previous versions of win before it, has a disk defragmenter. Admittedly it doesn't run in the background telling you when to defragment but do you really need that feature? It sounds a bit like a waste of resources to me.

Otherwise though sorry, I'm not being of much help.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Show HD fragmentation in tray
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 03:07 AM »
Hi ade1952 (and welcome to the forums!), I'm with Eóin here. Read https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=2166.0 for a nice discussion about defrag programs. You could set most to auto-defrag while you are sleeping (every night or every x nights).