topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Python vs. Ruby -- what's your take?  (Read 5146 times)

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Python vs. Ruby -- what's your take?
« on: April 27, 2006, 09:11 AM »
I have the books, I have the project, I don't have the time... but I need to do something.

I've been trying to start a project for a few months... pretty simple web-based db type application.  I will be creating the first application/database that will be built upon and used for many things in the future.  I will be using Apache, MySQL and Linux.  I own the server.

So what do I want to learn, Ruby or Python?  Here are my basic thoughts... I'm interested in yours as well.

Python good:  Looks neat; I'd use Plone as a CMS to get started.  Lots of development.
Python bad:  Whitespace sensative!  Which freaking version?  I need Zope for Plone, but I can't use the latest because CentOS needs an older Python for yum, etc.  The new version of Python breaks the older stuff.  wtf?  no compatability?

Ruby good:  Looks neat, lots of momentum... rising in the top used languages a lot.  Has Rails framework.
Ruby bad:  OOP to the max.  Uses a lot of characters in language @ =>.  Non-strict rules for formatting method calls (can be puts ("some stuff") or puts "some stuff")

Thoughts anyone?
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Python vs. Ruby -- what's your take?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 09:16 AM »
make it a poll and I'll vote for python...

But actually you should try both to some extent, and then decide which one suits you better. *I* would go with python as far as possible. But let's not forget that the Ruby folks have had some neat ideas in the past.

I expressedly do not want to "diss" any language, but I just like python best!

Bitwise

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Ruby is one of the two most interesting of the 'emerging' languages at the moment (the other one being D). Its OOP is pretty straightforward and apart from a few exceptions to the rule (e.g. Blocks/Closures aren't objects), it is a very 'pure' form of OOP. Which in my view is good. I mean, I'm happy with OOP, I'm happy with procedural - not so keen on the 'mix-and-match' approach...  8)

Bear in mind though that the Rails integration with Apache is awkward - and is one of the reasons why very few web hosts currently support Rails.

best wishes
Huw

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 02:21 PM »
Ruby on Rails is getting a lot of attention  (http://www.rubyonrails.org/) -
it's a pretty full and powerful framework for implementing web-based online services (shopping carts, etc.), and quite impressive.

From what i can see Ruby use seems to be moving towards web development, while Python use is moving towards client development (wxpython is getting some real attenion as a GUI toolkit [though there is also wxruby]).

I've done some python coding.  It's ok, though I didn't find it anything special and I am not happy with the significant whitespace stuff.

Ruby likewise seems ok to me, but doesn't blow me away.  It does seem to get a bit more respect from the language mavens, but i'm not much of a scripting-language guy so I always find myself turned off by non-static typing (http://en.wikipedia....g/wiki/Static_typing).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 02:21 PM »
btw, let me point out that the self-teaching programming school assignments have sections for Ruby, Python, PHP, and more:
https://www.donation...index.php?board=77.0

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 08:14 PM »
it might be a little too late now, but...

Actually it should be possible to install several versions of python parallel. (can someone turn that into proper ingleesh please?). I know it is possible on debian and its derivatives.