Fresh clean unmodified copy, with both .wav and .mp3 file extensions, loaded into the latest version of Trout.
That's pretty weird! But you can clearly see that it hasn't been able to parse the file as MP3, since bitrate, samplerate and channels are wrong. Perhaps it just directly feeds the file to a 3rd-party library, which then correctly parses the data as WAVE nonetheless?
Your FFmpeg screenshot mentions the file being created with GoldWave, which is not the sndrec.exe which shipped with Win95 that Tinman says he created the file in. I am guessing it was an older version of this app that he used.
Indeed - shouldn't really make much of a difference, though, any WAVE editor that supports the codecs available on the system would produce more or less the same output.
Gee, I didn't mean to start such an ordeal over one lousy wav file. Anyhow, I'm uploading the original (I do believe) codec that I installed. This is a self-installing zip file, but you need to rename it back to .exe. (see attachment in previous post)
- well, unless somebody has played tricks on you, that codec isn't the codec used to compress the Define.wav. That file is clearly TrueSpeech and not mp3-encoded... just tested on a clean XP VM, installing the l3codec above still doesn't enable me to open the file.
It also seems that the codec is decode-only (unless Audacity isn't able to use system codecs) - which is fine and well, since the compression-enabled codec iirc was commercial
Meh, file formats and compression are just some of those fun things!
Indeed - this was a fun bit of detective work