topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A custom dictionary  (Read 3885 times)

Quidnunc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A custom dictionary
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:31 AM »
Hi
As I have already dealt with Timms in the past I will give him first refusal on doing this but if anyone else would like to offer then please do.

I need to build custom dictionaries--designated by subject--either by adding words as needed or from a 'word list creator' (selecting word(s) and automatically placing them in the dictionary of choice) and the simpler it is to use the better.

I have searched the coding snack are for anything that would do this but to no avail.

As I haven't had the need to log in for some time I am not sure if I have any balance left on my account, if not then I will update so that I can make a donation to the author (should a member wish to take on this task).  Thanks in advance.

quidnunc

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: A custom dictionary
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:59 AM »
Could you explain a bit more? What you're asking for seems almost trivial. Please give some details about your work flow for it.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Quidnunc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Hi
I am not a computer literate person so what may seem a trivial task to some one who is, seems almost impossible to me; I just use them, I have no idea of how computers do what they do so please bear with me.  I am retired and I read a lot of non-fiction papers and want to analyse the texts for meaning (what I see as implied by the author, not necessarily what he says).  Some words could just be added to the appropriate dictionary (along with the sentence it appears in and my interpretation of it) for future use, others I would harvest from a wordlist creator.  If I come across the term again then I could compare the two contexts thus building up a useful repository of knowledge.  I hope this helps and thanks for your interest.

quidnunc   

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:58 AM »
As Renegade mentioned, could you please give your current workflow for this task?  That is, how do you currently accomplish what you're requesting?

Quidnunc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:13 AM »
Hi

Well, because doing it by cut & paste is such a labour intensive job I don't really do it very often, hence the request.  But when I do attempt it, cut & paste is the method I use.  If I had an automated way of doing it then it would be almost a daily event.  As I said earlier, Timms made my work so much easier with a way to split a text into numbered separate sentences I thought some one might help me again with my second request.