topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: UN Trying to Hijack YOUR Internet  (Read 3426 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
UN Trying to Hijack YOUR Internet
« on: December 13, 2012, 08:07 AM »
You probably didn't think that the UN would relent in trying to usurp control of the Internet, and you'd be right.

http://www.weeklysta...internet_666391.html

In the middle of the night at a U.N. conference in Dubai, the presiding chairman of the International Telecommunication Union conference surveyed the assembled countries to see whether there was interest in having greater involvement in the U.N. governing the Internet. A majority of countries gave their approval.

Because they never relent... ever...

The proposed resolution resolves that the secretary general of the U.N. "continue to take the necessary steps for ITU to play an active and constructive role in the multi-stakeholder model of the Internet," according to a draft of the text.

Stakeholder? BS alert is screaming...

The preliminary draft resolution also states, "To foster an enabling environment for the greater growth of the Internet ... that, as stated in the WSIS outcomes, all governments should have an equal role and responsibility for international Internet governance and for ensuring the stability, security and continuity of the existing Internet and its future development and of the future internet, and that the need for development of public policy by governments I consultation with all stakeholders is also recognized."

Here's the newspeak translation:

• Growth = Lock down
  • Stability = Control
  • Security = Surveillance
  • Continuity = Domination
  • Governance = Tyrannical power
  • Future Development = Censorship
  • Public Policy = Censorship controls
  • Stakeholders = NOT YOU!

For more:

http://www.newspeakd...ary.com/ns-dict.html

And just one definition:

blackwhite - The ability to accept whatever "truth" the party puts out, no matter how absurd it may be. Orwell described it as "...loyal willingness to say black is white when party discipline demands this. It also means the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know black is white, and forget that one has ever believed the contrary."

Free and open communication, like we enjoy here at DC, is the only way forward. Technology should liberate, not enslave.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: UN Trying to Hijack YOUR Internet
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Fortunately, to the extent that the network is controlled at all, it's controlled by a combination of public and private entities in the US, who haven't (yet) been taken in by UN nonsense. They understand that just because a bunch of appointed delegates say they believe something, doesn't make it so.

Given that all the technical stuff *works*, the international community shouldn't have any more concern. After all, the Internet is just a network of networks; nothing more, nothing less. If they don't like what's in that network, they can then go ahead and cut the wires and keep their network(s) separate.

Really, it's nothing but the "if you don't like what's on TV, change the channel" argument, but at a huge scale.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 08:27 PM »
  I just read the other day that the U.S., Canada, Japan and a couple of more countries threw all that out the window, saying that they wouldn't even bring it up for a vote.  Don't tell me someone changed their mind.....

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:51 PM »
  Saw the story again on my news feed:

U.S. announces will not sign ITU treaty, period
The U.S. has just announced that, "U.S. cannot sign revised telecommunications regulations in their current form."
http://www.zdnet.com...ty-period-7000008769

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:55 AM »
The UN's failure is our victory:

http://www.rawstory....ternet-treaty-fails/

A proposed global telecoms treaty that would give national governments control of the internet has been blocked by the US and key western and African nations. They said they are “not able to sign the agreement in its current form” at the end of a International Telecoms Union (ITU) conference in Dubai.

Thank God.

There is NEVER a good reason to regulate, control, and censor information.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Well, watch out for the phrase "in current form".
The US has lots of fun censoring things when we're the ones doing it for the Trinity of Social Root-Commands - Media Pirates who also terrorize children. So those other countries must not have found the right bargaining card to use ... this round. Give therm seven months and we'll see what June brings.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Why would the US sign such a treaty - it would usurp all the lobbying vested interests in the US. Sorry to be negative but, whilst  I don't want the UN to be in charge, I am not sure that Hollywood lobby (now largely owned by the Japanese) is any more agreeable to an open internet.