topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Gadget WEEKENDS  (Read 581300 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gadget WEEKENDS
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Universal Wire Stripper (Weicon 51000100-KD)
Wire Stripper.jpg

2" Neodymium Bar Magnet
2inch neodymium-bar-magnets.Jpg

(More to come)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2013, 03:17 AM »
Can you people resize your images to sane resolutions? IMO these images don't need to be larger than, say, 800x600 or so. The thumbnails are a bit too small, but the fullsize are just way too huge.

(Didn't notice there was a new page where Stephen actually posted sanely sized images until after I submitted this)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2013, 04:04 AM »
2" Neodymium Bar Magnet
-Stephen66515 (April 25, 2013, 09:06 PM)

what do you use the magnet for Stephen?
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2013, 11:21 AM »
2" Neodymium Bar Magnet
-Stephen66515 (April 25, 2013, 09:06 PM)

what do you use the magnet for Stephen?

Sorting out magnetic metals from non-metallic :)

Basically, I attached it to another bar, as like a "scanner" type device, then you simply run it over an area to pick out anything magnetic.  :D

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Recently got a replacement digital scale after deciding that it was time for the old one to move on:

scale.jpgGadget WEEKENDS

Some features:

• Powered by 2 AA batteries -- less dependency on non-rechargeables
  • Largish LCD display for ease of reading
  • Tare / calibration / zero-ing functionality -- post and pre power-on
  • Supposedly can measure at accuracies of +/- 1 grams (up to 2kg)
  • Looks easier to clean than the white plastic of the older unit
  • Can be hung on wall (there is a hole on the back of the unit)
  • "Level" indicator -- for tilt?

Quite happy with it so far  :Thmbsup:

Only found a product page in Japanese:

http://www.dretec.co.jp/products/kitchen_scale/KS-209.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:05 AM by ewemoa »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Nice. I have a kitchen scale too but i can never find an excuse to use it..

You've inspired me to post about a very low-tech kitchen gadget that I occasionally have use of, a Bag-Holder-Opener:

bagger.jpg

Useful for holding a bag open so you can use your hands to pour stuff into the bag.

Video: http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=bSQm5GJRLsk

NOTE: SEE ALTERNATE INVENTION IN POST BELOW BEFORE BUYING THIS
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 08:25 AM by mouser »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2013, 12:02 AM »
Regarding kitchen scales, i just got one and I'll tell you why.  For years i've been trying to figure out the best way to make a cup of coffee.  I've tried all the gimmicks and methods.  The one I like the best is called a "pour over" using a V60 or something similar.  But to do it right, you need to properly measure the amount of beans you use, and the temperature of the water.  So i got the scale to measure the means.  I'll be trying it out this weekend.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2013, 06:34 AM »
He he -- I use my digital scale daily to measure my tea leaves :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2013, 07:41 AM »
I need one of those kitchen scales, but it has to be husband-proof (indestructable). Hubby is a diabetic and not very good at using my ancient, cheap plastic scale to measure portions that need to be measued by weight.

mIlDRfV735AcBeCS5Qt8MWg.jpg

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2013, 07:49 AM »
One of the key things about the digitial scales is that you can zero them out after you put a bowl on them -- the manual ones like the one you have their app make it harder to compensate for weight of container.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2013, 08:15 AM »
After my "bag holder opener" gadget post, DC members ewemoa, app103, and I were brainstorming about ways to use existing kitchen tools to hold open bags more effectively.

I believe we came up with an ideal solution, which is to use some thin flexible plasting cutting mats, and roll them up and place them INSIDE the bag like an expanding tube.

holdopen1.jpg
holdopen4.jpg

The solution is pretty great because:
  • It maximally holds open the bag (this is a huge advantage over the gadget, which only holds open the bag a tiny bit).
  • It takes up NO storage space (compared to gadget which does) and requires no setup.
  • It is super easy to clean and acts like a funnel.
  • Works on any size bag (you could even trim the plastic cutting mat to make a smaller size one for small quart bags.

Tips on buying the flexible cutting mats: Just make sure the ones you buy aren't too brittle (as you will have to roll them up) or completely limp/silicone (as you want them to try to unroll in the bag to provide tension). Some samples on Amazon.com:

mats.jpg
http://www.amazon.co...sorted/dp/B00337YF7Q
http://www.amazon.co...rd-Set/dp/B00011RTE8

As ewemoa has pointed out, one drawback of this approach is that you have to wash the cutting mat after use.  One alternative would be to use an INNER bag draped over the "tube".  That will work providing the mat is not too oversized.  Of course this will also work if you happen to have a pitcher of the right radius and height -- without need for mat at all.

holdopen5b.jpg
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:22 PM by mouser »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2013, 08:23 AM »
After my "bag holder opener" gadget post, DC members ewemoa, app103, and I were brainstorming about ways to use existing kitchen tools to hold open bags more effectively.

That was a fun game. We need to play it more often! I love brainstorming and "inventing stuff".  ;D

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2013, 08:28 AM »
One of the key things about the digitial scales is that you can zero them out after you put a bowl on them -- the manual ones like the one you have their app make it harder to compensate for weight of container.

That's actually the easiest of the issues to deal with. The hardest is keeping the container from sliding off the tiny platform while you do it. Or just sliding off, in general. Then there is the inaccuracy issue.  :(

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Can you people resize your images to sane resolutions? IMO these images don't need to be larger than, say, 800x600 or so. The thumbnails are a bit too small, but the fullsize are just way too huge.

(Didn't notice there was a new page where Stephen actually posted sanely sized images until after I submitted this) 

For a forum, 800 X 600 which works out to be approx. 11.11 X 8.33 inches, is still too large.  640 X 480 pixels (8.889 X 6.667 inches) is about the right size.  Of course, this is only MY OPINION!  And we know what those are worth, eh?   :P

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2013, 01:08 AM »
 :two: ?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2013, 01:42 AM »

For a forum, 800 X 600 which works out to be approx. 11.11 X 8.33 inches, is still too large.  640 X 480 pixels (8.889 X 6.667 inches) is about the right size.  Of course, this is only MY OPINION!  And we know what those are worth, eh?   :P

Really? Since you bothered to take the time to actually measure, so did I...and on my screen, the 800x600 measurement is about the same as the one you gave for 640x480. I am guessing your resolution is lower than 1280x1024? That would definitely have an effect on your opinion. Now imagine what the opinion of most people, that have even higher resolutions than I have, would be.

I remember when 800x600 was HUGE...the size of most people's desktop wallpaper. It was my opinion that creating artwork that was larger than that would be an unnecessary waste of disk space. I have since retracted that opinion and re-released all my old desktop wallpaper art under a CC-BY license and encourage people to chop and crop away and try to make them useful for something, since they are no longer useful as wallpapers (because of their small size). I wish I had made them twice the size, now. I really miss some of them a lot, and they would be impossible for me to recreate. Amazing how a little bit of time and progress can easily change one person's opinions.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2013, 01:50 AM »
dang!  i didn't realize the tea drinkers do that.  cool.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2013, 02:32 AM »
One of the key things about the digitial scales is that you can zero them out after you put a bowl on them....

And here's the analog version:

IMG_6342.JPGGadget WEEKENDS

Rotate the base when you've measured one ingredient to re-zero for the next ingredient to be added.  The cover which acts as the measuring bowl has an indented base so it doesn't slide off the measuring platform.

Here's the exact model at Amazon.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:40 AM by 4wd »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2013, 03:03 AM »
There is also another non-retired analog scale here that can do calibration / zero-ing -- takes more time but doesn't require batteries :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2013, 03:04 AM »
dang!  i didn't realize the tea drinkers do that.  cool.

Gotta be careful with powerful stuff that's ingested regularly, right? ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2013, 04:33 PM »
OK, followup on the cheap chinese TV devices I've been playing with.

The "1080p Media player" by a company called Diyomate is the best device for a tiny thing that will connect to your TV with an HDMI cable and play HD movies from a flash (or any external USB drive).  It does not struggle at all with the playback.  But it doesn't have internet or anything like that.  it is strictly for playing back videos (and audio if you want).

Then there's this MK808b device, which is about the size of a pack of gum.  It is a full Android device.  So if you plug it in with the HDMI cable, it will turn your TV into a "smart" TV.  Meaning it has a wifi internet connection, you can install android apps on it, play back video and audio.  As far as video, it is not very smooth so I don't recommend it for that.  The other one is much better for video playback.  But for internet related activities this thing is great for it's tiny size and cheap price.  Also, you will need to get that RC11 remote so that you can use it as an airmouse and keyboard.  Either that, or some kind of keyboard/mouse combo that can be connected to an android device through usb.  I recommend the RC11, as I tried a couple of other options.  One area that was impossible to get around: pinch zooming.  I don't know how to do this with just a mouse and keyboard.

Now, what's so great about this?  Just because the devices are small and cheap, that's all.  I know those of you that have xbox and playstations can do all this with those things.  But this may be a more convenient option.  Also, people like me that have a full desktop pc connected to a TV will also not be that interested.  So it's just a price/size thing.  Amazing nonetheless.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: June 07, 2013, 05:30 PM »
My gadget recommendation for this week is Double-wall drinking glasses, which prevent condensation and help liquids keep their temperature.

The most elegant are these roundish glass Bodum ones:
S6_7_2013 , 5_24_51 PM.png
http://www.amazon.co...lasses/dp/B00076ZD22
The main drawback is that they are like $14 each and they are so fragile that they break if you drop an ice cube into them the wrong way.

After a couple of sets I've given up on them and switched over to these unbreakable polycarbonate kind:
S6_7_2013 , 5_27_51 PM.png
http://www.amazon.co...ulated/dp/B003AZZR6E
They are a little cheaper at $9 each and aren't nearly as elegant, but they are functionally the same or better. They are available with different decorations which is nice for guests.

All of these come in multiple sizes and styles.  Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:37 PM by mouser »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: June 07, 2013, 08:56 PM »
After a couple of sets I've given up on them and switched over to these unbreakable polycarbonate kind

Yeah, I quit Bodum after the first glass broke in my grip - had not been aware that my grip was that strong  :o.  As did you, I switched to polycarbonate.  There was a local outlet store that sold them quite cheaply.  Then it got raided, put out of business (they don't allow you to run a commercial warehouse from prison  :tellme:), and I'm not quite ready to put out online prices, even though they're nearly as unbreakable as the advertisements present.

<sidenote>
Not certain I'd want to drink from vessels with lizards or frogs - 'specially anything green or yellow  :-\ :P.
</sidenote>

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: June 10, 2013, 09:38 AM »
After a couple of sets I've given up on them and switched over to these unbreakable polycarbonate kind:

http://www.amazon.co...ulated/dp/B003AZZR6E
They are a little cheaper at $9 each and aren't nearly as elegant, but they are functionally the same or better. They are available with different decorations which is nice for guests.

When drinking from the polycarbonate, does it feel more like plastic or glass? I like the implied durability but... I really hate drinking from plastic.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: June 10, 2013, 12:31 PM »
When drinking from the polycarbonate, does it feel more like plastic or glass? I like the implied durability but... I really hate drinking from plastic.

For me, neither.  Not a plastic sensation, nor a glass sensation.  Has a feeling all its own, although that could be - probably is  ;) - influenced by my perceptions and knowledge that it ain't glass.