topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Steganography Software SecretLayer on bitsdujour.com - 65% Off  (Read 5896 times)

denn

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is something new - Data Hiding (steganography) software  SecretLayer on BTJ - 15.11.2012 http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/secretlayer/ 

Combination of the data encryption and data hiding  can be good thing. See http://www.steganographypro.com/

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Steganography Software SecretLayer on bitsdujour.com - 65% Off
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:20 AM »
Do you know if it is compatible with other steganography programs?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

denn

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:26 AM »
No. No way. It is not secure, each steganography software have its own algorithm.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:31 AM »
I wasn't too sure. I don't know enough about the underlying guts of steganography. Thanks for the info.

I suppose for individual use, and not sharing, it'd be ok. For sharing though, an open source program would most likely be more appropriate. Some are listed here: http://en.wikipedia..../Steganography_tools

denn

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:53 AM »
There are few main factors to take in to consideration while you select steganography software:

- Support of the jpg and png. With few nuances like small fluctuation of the file size after hiding, no "signs" or unusual symbols in the final image code) - to avoid detection.

- Strong encryption of data before hiding to the image. You can hide a True Cript container of course,  but its much more comfortably to use encryption inside of steganography software.

- Possibility to hide big files in to few images (You can't hide a lot in to one image)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:17 AM »
I can come up with so many ways to deal with problems, that the only real one is if someone else can decode the message. e.g. Take some open source program, change an image in it, then compile and upload it somewhere as an "alternative". Mission accomplished, provided that you can get the message to the intended recipient. That's another issue though, and beyond the scope of steganography.

BTW - Thanks for bringing up this topic. I know someone who needs this in life and death situations and have already sent him a quick message on the topic. You very well could have saved someone's life by creating this thread. That's not an exaggeration. Thank you.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 10:26 AM »
@Ren - Just remind your friend not to neglect strong encryption prior to using steganography to conceal his payload. Steganography gains the lions share of its power from going unnoticed. Most of what I've heard says that detecting hidden data within an image or other filetype isn't all that difficult once you start actively checking for it. I know of private company e-mail systems that scan all attachments for the presence of hidden data. At least if his stuff was initially encrypted its secret would be preserved even after being detected as an embedded payload.

Of course once they spot you using steganography it's tantamount to an admission you're up to something.

In some places that alone is enough to "do ya in."

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:35 AM by 40hz »

Shogan Meller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 03:08 PM »
among different steganography apps (commercial and open source) this SecretLayer seems to be the most developed tool. of course it hasn't some features that other apps do, but in general there is more functionality and convenience (e.g. multiple storages, different encryptions, intuitive gui)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Steganography in and of itself ( :huh: ) is security by obfuscation, i.e. insecure to anyone who's suspicious.  It'll fool any innocent, unsuspecting viewer (like me  :D?), but 40hz's comment is right on the money.  Steganography alone is scant security.  Add some encryption, and it's a lot more secure.  It is cool, though  :P.

denn

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 07:23 AM »
to 40hz: You are right - the best way is to combine steganography and strong encryption. This is something what we did in SecretLayer.

Regarding detection: its not so easy. Images done with SecretLayer are not detected yet. Additionally - to reduce chances of the detection of your message - do not load it with 100% of data. Use 15-25% of capability of the container image. 

Shogan Meller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 04:49 PM »
features we're working at:
- Mac OS version
- new storage formats
- asynchronous encryption
- bugfixes

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Images done with SecretLayer are not detected yet.

I'll have to take your word for that. I'm not qualified to agree or disagree on that. Earlier I was merely parroting back something I had read by someone who was qualified to have an opinion on the topic. ;D 8)

BTW are you with the product? If so welcome! It's always good to get the developers in on the discussion. :Thmbsup: