topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Well, I got it: Nokia Lumia 920, Windows 8  (Read 52698 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Well, I got it: Nokia Lumia 920, Windows 8
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Funnily enough, now that Zune is out of the equation iTunes and that connector problem seems to be the only way to sync podcasts right now. (You can subscribe to them via the Marketplace on the phone, but there's no desktop connection and no way to add podcasts that aren't in the market place. . . )
Do you think MS is going to insist on their closed ecosystem?  Or do you think people are going to start complaining a lot and they will open up the features?  I think the latter will happen, but I'm way out of the loop.  I'm more worried that MS has designed the OS in such a way that certain important functions won't even be accessible to developers that were accessible with previous windows versions.

I am almost certain that it wasn't a purposeful move, they just didn't get it done before launch. Like every other complaint I have with Windows Phone 8, this is functionality that was previously accomplished using the Zune desktop application that they didn't account for when cutting Zune out of the picture.

It could be worse, though -- at least in the US I have access to podcasts in the store. The international community just can't listen to podcasts unless they do so using a third party application.
I think I feel the same way.  From everything I've heard, MS and Nokia did their best to rush the phone out.  Not sure what they were so concerned about schedule-wise, though.  Perhaps 12/21?  ;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2012, 10:13 AM »
theprawn!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23 AM »
theprawn!

lol - that sounds like a man at work
Tom

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2012, 08:24 PM »
 ;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2012, 02:57 PM »
Not 100% certain, but I think the latest WP8 updates for the Nokia 920 have improved battery performance a lot.  I'm on my second day now with 30% left.  before, I could barely get through one day.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2012, 09:25 PM »
There haven't been any WP8 updates yet, just Nokia updates as far as I can tell. Maybe those helped battery life, though... my observation has been that out of the box the battery indicator is insane. My phone would be 100% for hours, then suddenly much less. After a week or so it became sane and battery life is perfectly acceptable (good even) for an often used smart phone.

I do have a couple complaints -- the hole for the speaker (where your ear goes for the calls) isn't sealed, apparently. There's a bunch of dust in my front facing camera's cavity.  I don't think it has any effect on the picture (yet) but given time, I'm sure it will. It kind of bugs me. On the bright side I absolutely never (ever) use the front facing camera, so my annoyance is more on principle.

My other issue is the proximity censor -- it's way too sensitive. I've found that more often than not, once I'm on a call I cannot get the screen to stay on. That makes it really tough (impossible) to use the keypad when dealing with an automated system. I don't know if that's the result of dust getting in the sensor area or if it's a software thing.  I haven't really tested it since the last updates from Nokia, so it's possible it's been fixed... rather than test it, I'm just going to sit here and be hopeful. Sure beats being disappointed. :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47 PM »
There haven't been any WP8 updates yet, just Nokia updates as far as I can tell. Maybe those helped battery life, though... my observation has been that out of the box the battery indicator is insane. My phone would be 100% for hours, then suddenly much less. After a week or so it became sane and battery life is perfectly acceptable (good even) for an often used smart phone.

I do have a couple complaints -- the hole for the speaker (where your ear goes for the calls) isn't sealed, apparently. There's a bunch of dust in my front facing camera's cavity.  I don't think it has any effect on the picture (yet) but given time, I'm sure it will. It kind of bugs me. On the bright side I absolutely never (ever) use the front facing camera, so my annoyance is more on principle.

My other issue is the proximity censor -- it's way too sensitive. I've found that more often than not, once I'm on a call I cannot get the screen to stay on. That makes it really tough (impossible) to use the keypad when dealing with an automated system. I don't know if that's the result of dust getting in the sensor area or if it's a software thing.  I haven't really tested it since the last updates from Nokia, so it's possible it's been fixed... rather than test it, I'm just going to sit here and be hopeful. Sure beats being disappointed. :)
I think your description of the battery life is accurate.  it might be just a display thing...ignoring that, ultimately, it's like most smartphones I've seen.  With a screen this big, your phone is not going to last 2 days with a lot of usage.  My charging pad should arrive soon, I'll have that placed at work and should take care of the any battery inconveniences.

Not disappointed at all...just describing the details of the phone, hope it's helpful to others in their decision making.  It's a good phone.  I recently checked out the other flagship model, HTC 8X, and it is sooooo much lighter.  I tend to like heavy things, but just fyi to others.  The HTC feels like nothing in the hand, the 920 is quite heavy.  To make an analogy, the 920 feels like the old iphones, and the 8X feels like the new iphone 5.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Now there's an OS update out, at least on AT&T. Highlights include: from Nokia improved battery metering, sharper photos; from Microsoft  the option to have WiFi always on and SMS drafts. The auto brightness setting seems to be a bit more dynamic too.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2012, 02:21 PM »
Now there's an OS update out, at least on AT&T. Highlights include: from Nokia improved battery metering, sharper photos; from Microsoft  the option to have WiFi always on and SMS drafts. The auto brightness setting seems to be a bit more dynamic too.
just got it, thanks.  i'll be picking up my charging pad tomorrow as well.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2013, 05:46 PM »
I got the Nokia wireless charger.  It's pretty cool.  You just place the phone on the pad and it charges, pretty quickly too.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2013, 08:26 PM »
I will never buy another phone that doesn't have wireless charging.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57 PM »
I will never buy another phone that doesn't have wireless charging.
yea, seriously.  question: did you also feel like you were getting a vip backroom treatment when getting your first one?  i did.  it was supposed to be free, but they didn't have it right when the phone was available.   so you had to go back a few weeks later to the store and say you wanted one.  then they ordered one, and it arrives a week or so later.  then they call you to pick it up.  then you go in and have to talk to the store manager, who brings it out from the back.   ;D  very involved process.  they must have REALLY limited supplies of them or something.  you have to really want one to get it in your hands.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2013, 10:19 PM »
Mine, shockingly, came in the mail with the phone!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Mine, shockingly, came in the mail with the phone!
what?!  why wouldn't they mail mine to me??  i went to 4 stores, and called them.  told me i had to go pick it up in the store. sheesh.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2013, 10:50 PM »
The release was a mess... I think I just got lucky, ordered early and got in with the first wave of preorders. Did you get a choice of color?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37 PM »
The release was a mess... I think I just got lucky, ordered early and got in with the first wave of preorders. Did you get a choice of color?
oh yeah.  i was NOT going to get anything other than black no matter what.  funny too...the whole att store thing is 100% bullshit.  they had, no joke, about 15 people working in the store, with maybe 10 customers in there.  yet they made everyone log in to the ipads, and then each customer had to wait minimum 15 minutes before getting served.  so while waiting, i was wondering how come the wait was so long? well, of the 15 employees there, only 2 were able to help you buy something, the rest of them do nothing...i mean, except write your name on the ipad.

this stuff makes me honestly, in a serious way, question certain things about our economy.  whenever i bring it up, people dismiss it as overthinking.  but this is supposedly a bad economy, and things like this are taking place.  it is wild to really think about.  this is actually working for large successful companies, and smaller folk with really great ideas and great business sense and etc etc just can't do anything.  why??  oh, it's just the way it is, it has always been this way.  i don't know...doesn't make sense to me.

but yea...i got the black phone.  :D

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2013, 11:18 AM »
It is a really great economy for some of us... just, you know, not us.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2013, 04:58 PM »
OK, now I'm getting even more annoyed...
the Windows Phone will not allow you to download an exe file, presumably because you can't just install it (plus security reasons i'm sure).  Really annoying.  What kind of windows OS doesn't let you download ANY file you may desire?  Great.

PS.  Can someone attach the latest bittorrent sync windows installer here?  ;)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2013, 12:54 AM »

D'oh

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2013, 10:04 AM »

D'oh
Thanks!