Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 17, 2014, 05:36:58 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Programming School - Instructions for Taking Part  (Read 11205 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 19, 2006, 12:38:18 PM »

I've finally finished the forum modification coding to support the Programming School section of DonationCoder.

This section is not meant to hold your hand and teach you. Instead it is meant to motivate self-teaching.

Essentially, you will have to get yourself a book or e-book and teach yourself.

What you will find here is a "ladder" of increasingly challenging programming assignments, meant to motivate you to learn and use different facilities of each language.

How this section of the site works:

• To help inspire you, each challenge assignment is only unlocked after you submit a solution to the previous one.
  • Assignment also often have bonus challenges which you can complete for extra recognition.
  • Users will be rewarded with special stuff in their forum identity - badges or text, etc. so you can show off of your achievements.
  • Other bonus prizes (dc cups and tshirts) may be available to high achievers.

• You will be able to see other people's solutions after you submit yours.
  • It is your job to test your programs and make sure they work!  Your program is not going to be tested by us - it's up to you to test it and make it work.

• Submit your assignment as a new post.
  • No one will be able to read it until it is accepted officially.
  • After it is accepted you will be able to read other people's solutions and the next assignment will be accessible.

IMPORTANT: expect critiques on your programming style to help you improve - a MAJOR point of this school is to help you improve your STYLE of coding, promote good programming habits, and help users learn to think like good coders.  It is not enough to get a program to work, it should be well designed.  Your code should be fully documented and well organized.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 02:53:28 PM by mouser » Logged
Peter Adi S
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:08:07 AM »

Hi mouser,
I want to participate in programming school, but I don't know how to apply. Can you explain to me how to apply?
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:53:26 AM »

you dont have to "apply", just jump right in and do the first assignment in your language of choice.  after you complete it and post your solution, you will be advanced onto the second assignment, which will remain invisible until then.

languages to choose from are here: http://www.donationcoder....orum/index.php?board=77.0
karl ward
Participant

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:15:09 AM »

I am using Visual c# express how do i upload my code
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:20:14 AM »

you can just paste the important main part of the code as text in a post, then select it and choose the correct language from the "Code Highlighting" box in the post form -- that will format it nicely for display.

and you can also upload/attach a zip file of the program if you like, which makes it easier to test -- though this is usually optional if it's one of the assignments that doesnt really need to be tested.
Polkie
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »

Hi mouser.

I have completed the first assignment uploaded/pasted the code.
But I don't know if it has been accepted.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 01:29:24 AM »

i left a comment for you to try to improve your code a little bit first before i advance you smiley
x16wda
Supporting Member

what am I doing in this handbasket?

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »

A reasonable list.  Not as much call for PL/I or 360 Assembler now, although I tend to use Rexx and batch (with about a million utility programs) for most of what I need to do these days.  I really miss the long hours of 68000 assembler on my Atari ST when I did it for fun...

I'd like to pick up a nice modern language like C#, so I'll probably start on that section some time soon just to get familiar.

Eweek's daily slideshow today was "Why Programmers Should Use the Haskell Language Now"... anyone have a feeling about that?
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/...kell-Language-Now-669827/

vi vi vi - editor of the beast
CryoGenesis
Participant

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »

Hey I signed up and It is saying I do not have permission to go onto the first Java Assignment (or any other language assignment)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »

That's really odd -- you should be able to go into the FIRST assignment of any language.
CryoGenesis
Participant

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »

I was thinking because I've only just joined.
I clicked on java assignment 1 which took me to another page with a list of threads and I clicked on Assignment 1 and it says "An Error Has Occurred! You don't have permission to read this topic."
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »

Can you go to the c++ first assignment here: http://www.donationcoder....orum/index.php?board=96.0
CryoGenesis
Participant

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »

Yeah I can go on that page.
Is the actual assignment post called "Read Challenge Assignment Here"
Because if it is I was clicking on the wrong thing.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »

Yes, "Read Challenge Assignment Here" is what you want.

Can you give me an example url of a post you can see in the listing but are denied access to?
CryoGenesis
Participant

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »

I'm denied to all other posts on the java assignment page apart from the Read Challange Assignment post.
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »

I'm denied to all other posts on the java assignment page apart from the Read Challange Assignment post.
You're supposed to 'solve' the assignment and post a new answer in the forum there, like the last lines of the assignment say Wink

Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »

All other posts are peoples solutions.  Nobody except the person grading the solutions is granted access to those.  You may read the challenge assignment and create a new topic in that section containing your proposed solution.

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

Making a Post, Editing it twice to make it nice.

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:06 PM »

What about a FreeForm Language section? My initial hunch is that it goes two ways - someone wants practice in a language not here, and the other is coding jokes - like writing programs in LolCat.   cheesy 
CryoGenesis
Participant

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 10:05:32 AM »

Hey, I posted my solution to java assignment one. What do I do next?
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »

Now you wait for someone to reply and advance you to the next assignment (and allow you to see the other people's solutions).. It will happen sometime today.
Polkie
Supporting Member

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 05:45:37 AM »

Are we able to delete a post?

I double posted HTML assignment 1 by accident, and would like to know if it can be deleted?

Sorry about that. embarassed
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 06:06:43 AM »

I double posted HTML assignment 1 by accident,
Just edit your post, deleting the duplicated content, and placing a marker like [duplicate post] is fine.

Polkie
Supporting Member

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 06:35:38 AM »

Thanks Ath.
 Thmbsup
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.13 ]