Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 20, 2014, 01:04:59 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: MoveIt - windows management app - Mini-Review  (Read 1900 times)
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 26, 2012, 05:07:14 PM »

App NameMoveIt
App URLhttp://www.favessoft.com/hotkeys.html (scroll down a bit) - dc thread is here
App Version ReviewedMoveIt 1.2.3.0
Test System SpecsQuadCore, 8GB RAM, Win7 x64
Supported OSesXP, Win.7
Support Methodsdc forum thread above; also per email http://www.favessoft.com/contact.html
Upgrade PolicyN/A see below
Trial Version Available?N/A see below
Pricing Schemedonationware/freeware (?)
Author (of the app) Donation LinkDonate to MilesAhead, the app Author (here on dc); or http://www.favessoft.com/donate.html
Screencast Video URL --
Relationship btwn. Reviewer and Product I use the app, I've asked for features - and gotten them; I've made a small donation to the author at one stage - ooups, that was for a precursor app embarassed That's it ;-)

Intro:

MoveIt is a windows manager, not unlike GridMove but it takes a different approach.

Tray Hotkey to move and size the active window.
[...] MoveIt can also position and size multiple Explorer windows in a pattern.

It uses a limited number of preset, but customisable, window sizes.
You hit a hotkey combination (also customisable) and then one of the following letters (fairly intuitive) to resize the active window to the chosen size
L = Left
R = Right
T = Top
B = Bottom
C = Center
S = Square

Screenshots of some window layouts I use

The beauty of the app is that you can modify all these window sizes very easily on the fly:
resize your window to whatever size you want for e.g. "top", press your default hotkey, then
press "z", you get the following dialogue - press "t" for top -
you can change the current window size to default for any of the above options (Left / Right / etc.)

Other very nice features:

# Default hotkey plus keys 1 to 9 will move the active window from bottom left of screen through to top right - without resizing it.

# Ctrl+Winkey+ArrowKeys will move active window incrementally in the direction of the arrow key (again without resizing it).

# An easy way of making four equal sized windows:
Move a window by dragging the title bar - press alt before releasing the mouse and the window will snap to the quadrant in which the mouse was released.

NOTE: I have no idea if this app caters to multipile monitors

Who is this app designed for:

you've got to be a keyboard person !
With MoveIt you have to hit a default hotkey and then another key - initially I thought this would be too much key pressing but I'm finding it no problem at all to implement, and easy remember all the keys in spite of the fact that I use it relatively little. I do use it most sessions though.

The (possibly) needs improvement section

this aspect doesnt necessarily need improvement, but watch out for the default hotkey -
it's Ctrl+Shift+S
If you use this for "save as" in other apps, you will want to change it to something else -
easily done via right-click on the tray icon:

or,
for advanced users:

Why I think you should use this product & How does it compare to similar apps

well I'd recommend this and GridMove -naturally only if you want to arrange your windows ;-)
Use MoveIt only if you're comfortable with keyboard shortcuts. I know GridMove is also mouse friendly, but I've only ever used it via the keyboard so cannot really comment on it's mouse capability.

I have MoveIt and GridMove both running in the tray - I havent had any problems with that.

Initially I liked MoveIt mainly for the ability to move windows without resizing, but now I rarely use GridMove as I find MoveIt (also) intuitive to use, and it has more than enough options for most of my needs.

Conclusions

I love it smiley

Links to other reviews of this application

[none I know of]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:27:40 AM by tomos; Reason: trying to improve the English » Logged

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.032s | Server load: 0.08 ]