Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 25, 2014, 01:21:33 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pause/Break Key has never been able to invoke the FARR!?  (Read 1598 times)
saurabhdua
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »

Hello Folks!

I have always been able to invoke the FARR only through Ctrl+Space. Entire Documentation, beginning from the "Introduction" of the FARR tells you to press "Pause/Break" key in order to activate the "Search Window" !?

Why doesn't it work in actual!? Hitting it twice didn't yield any result either!

Please help decipher this mystery!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:13:40 PM »

Pause/Break key is the only way to go -- I don't know how people settle for ctrl+space.

Now as to why it's not working for you, I'm not sure.. try creating a custom hotkey trigger in options and choose the Break/Pause(1) Break/Pause(3) or other alternatives.. maybe it's a non-standard keyboard issue.

Are you using a non-english keyboard?  What OS do you have?  Is it possible another application is blocking the key?

See what the bottom left of the custom hotkey configuration dialog in farr says regarding whether the hotkey is available.

One thing you might try is seeing if you can make the Ctrl+Break hotkey works -- if so that would be evidence that another program might be grabbing the normal break key..

Anyone else have any ideas?
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:05:44 AM »

IIRC when I have something that's running with admin privileges (and it's focused), Pause/Break doesn't appear to bring up FARR though Control+Space (if configured) seems to -- this is with Windows 7 64-bit.

Update: This appears to be when FARR is running without admin privs.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:28:44 AM by ewemoa » Logged
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:59:12 AM »

In a separate Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installation, this didn't happen.

This was a fresh OS installation as well as a fresh FARR installation.

May be an ownership / permission issue...?
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 07:01:35 AM »

If I had a pause/break key, I would try and verify this. Perhaps the default hotkey should change as this is not the first laptop (dell or otherwise) that does not have the pause/break key. Just sayin

Strength in Knowledge
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »

Odd...now that I look closely, I see that the notebook in front of me has one key for Pause and one for Break -- though I have to press the Fn key to get that functionality to work.

They don't both lead to the same behavior FWIW.

Pause works as expected and Break brings up a context-sensitive menu and then acts like Ctrl+Break (Toggle FARR and Copy Selection)...
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 06:24:49 PM »

In a separate Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installation, this didn't happen.

This was a fresh OS installation as well as a fresh FARR installation.

Tried running IE with admin privs and FARR using the privs of the logged in account.  Pressing Pause/Break with said IE focused does not appear to bring FARR's main window up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0.28 ]