topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: idea: outliner with folding text & picture/icone/image support (org was editors)  (Read 20157 times)

gtrur3476433

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have searched for an editor. Primarily I have need for only one feature.

I want to be able to type (or past) multiple sentences or list items (hopefully using return/enter) under a heading
(word or sentence). I then want to be able to click on the heading to collapse, the list or sentences.(clicking again would reveal them).

In this way, I could easily overview large text documents.(a good second feature would be able to change font size (even just globally(like notepad.exe)

Hopefully the editor would not be as big as adobe pro (& I have not seen it free)
Hopefully the editor would be free or free to try.

But it does seem that I need something more than notepad.exe

thank you, to all the posters who help the newbies, and to donationcoder.com admins.

(appended
I should redefine my needs as,
text folding (primarily),
font size change (even just globally (like notepad.exe)), and past in jpg,png,bmp (perhaps icons) for reference would
both make good secondary features.
(being able to specify picture/icon placeholder size would be a great additional feature) )
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:38 AM by gtrur3476433 »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: editors
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:13 PM »
sounds like your looking for an editor with 'folding'

Notepad++ is one such (note that you will need to enclose your groupings in brackets for this feature to work)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Tried Notepad++?

[edit]Target beat me to the punch by 1 second haha[/edit]

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:18 PM »
I found this list. But it includes code folding editors. Seems to be a few text folding editors in the list so...

http://en.wikipedia....h_folding_capability

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:33 AM »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:19 AM »
Sublime Text 2 (free to try, nag screens when saving files) allows text folding by simple indentations.  :Thmbsup:

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:27 AM »
Hi gtrur3476433, welcome! (How should we call you?)

You can use e.g. EmEditor for such tasks too:

EmEditor_Outline-Plugin.pngidea: outliner with folding text & picture/icone/image support (org was editors)

This is EmEditor with his Outline plugin, using dashes as folding markers.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 12:32 PM »
Starting in version 18.10, UltraEdit also supports folding by indent level:

This release includes native support for code folding in Python files based on indentation level. For other languages, you can enable indent-based code folding by adding the "EnableCFByIndent" keyword to the top of the appropriate wordfile.

I haven't used the feature so I'm not sure how well it works, but it seems like it should work for text-based outlines. Having to edit a 'wordfile' to enable the feature for a particular filetype isn't super friendly, but you should only have to do that once.

gtrur3476433

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Target,Stephen66515,MilesAhead,flamerz,Tuxman,mwb1100,AbteriX thank you all..

font size change (even just globally (like notepad.exe)), and past in jpg,png,bmp (perhaps icons) for reference would
(being able to specify picture/icon placeholder size would be a great additional feature)

AbteriX, using my own post to show what I describe was clever and brilliant.
(almost smart ***, imaging my face when I saw it ;> ..I loved it!

The editors I viewed seem to have more features than what I describe above, so I'll need to learn how to learn just the features above, among many options.

So far it would appear that both notepad++ and EmEditor both do text folding. If any know of an editor that is lighter and/or focuses on text folding and features above then posters can still holler.

as of now I have no need of folding of code(s),.. But one day I would like to learn how to make firefox addons.

@ AbteriX
"This is EmEditor with his Outline plugin, using dashes as folding markers."

sounds like I'll need to find, download&install an Outline plugin you are refering to here.
I hope EmEditor has the link/url in it's overhead menues.
I have yet to install it on 3rd machine,..

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 03:55 PM »
-gtrur3476433 (July 16, 2012, 03:50 PM)
Sublime Text 2.

font size change (even just globally (like notepad.exe))
Sublime Text 2. (Only globally and per-file, not by paragraph.)

and past in jpg,png,bmp (perhaps icons) for reference
This is not related to text editors, is it?

BTW:

If any know of an editor that is lighter and/or focuses on text folding and features above then posters can still holler.
I'm pretty sure Vim can do simple text folding too. I just think it's not made for you.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 06:27 PM »
(being able to specify picture/icon placeholder size would be a great additional feature)

So far it would appear that both notepad++ and EmEditor both do text folding. If any know of an editor that is lighter and/or focuses on text folding and features above then posters can still holler.

as of now I have no need of folding of code(s),.. But one day I would like to learn how to make firefox addons.

folding is probably something of a hack, ie the editors use a tag (like HTML) to indicate text 'grouping'.  It's a useful feature, but I've yet to see it in anything other than a plain text editor.

Unfortunately the insertion of images (or anything other than text for that matter) is something that text editors do no do - for that you need (at least) a rich text editor  (like wordpad).

Have you considered using a notetaking or stickies app instead?  could use separate 'notes' for each group, and most offer a hierarchical tree view of your notes...

gtrur3476433

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:46 PM »

Have you considered using a notetaking or stickies app instead?  could use separate 'notes' for each group, and most offer a hierarchical tree view of your notes...

hmm.. if i use one of those and I click on the hierarchical tree, I am thinking that the tree might become unviewable at the same time (viewing only the text group or sticky..)

folding is probably something of a hack, ie the editors use a tag (like HTML) to indicate text 'grouping'.  It's a useful feature, but I've yet to see it in anything other than a plain text editor.

Unfortunately the insertion of images (or anything other than text for that matter) is something that text editors do no do - for that you need (at least) a rich text editor  (like wordpad).

hmm..yes, I seen that wordpad does past insertion of images (and does do other things), but yet is without the last features I described.. text folding seems to be something that wordpad most lacks.. (perhaps it is outside of .rtf standards)

hmm. so a simple editor like wordpad lacks text folding,..
"anything other than a plain text editor", lack text folding,..

and text editors lack image past insertion,..

If someone could extend .rtf unofficially (maybe with a tag)(maybe [foldline start] [foldline end]) (with wordpad or something other), with simple text folding, it would appear to be a useful small app for small, medium (even large) documents, for both students and professionals,..

I would have though that this would be surly already available,..but if not, it would make a (very) good addition, to what is available now..

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: idea: editors
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 07:41 AM »
What you're describing sounds more like a PIM or outliner to me.

e.g. I copied your last post below the quotes.
Pasted into what I use -InfoQube- and get a new item/entry after each return in the text (or all in one item if preferred).

Alt+ArrowKeys to move items up/down/around the hierarchy.

Screenshot - 2012-07-17 , 14_35_15.png

As you can see, I was not so successful with images (I think it can be done but never use that functionality & dont know how).
I'm not saying InfoQube is for you or your needs, but maybe some outliner out there is what you need - as opposed to an editor.
Tom
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:34 AM by tomos, Reason: spelling »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: idea: editors
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 07:46 AM »
I'm not saying InfoQube is for you or your needs, but maybe some outliner out there is what you need - as opposed to an editor.
I agree. Even though I don't know much about outliners, from what I've read on the long discussions here on DC, it sounds more suitable than an editor.
There's at least one thread here on DC which seems relevant to this discussion: https://www.donation...x.php?topic=2362.840 (warning: it's *very* long :P )

gtrur3476433

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Techno Notes Manager (looks sharp, ase password protection)
(pictures & folding of subjects)
( www.td-soft.net/notes-manager.html & www.technonotes.com )

(I wonder if it (& hope it) will fold & have picture(s) and content text on same plane!?)
(thank you jgpaiva),

EmEditor (thank you AbteriX),
InfoQube, (thank you tomos), and
Notepad++ (Target, Stephen66515)
all 4 look promising..

I hope to download them & try them on the desktop soon..

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You might want to also look into RightNote.  There's actually a mini-review on DC.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just possibly Noteliner?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dont know how important this is to you gtrur:

most outliners will show images (usually in RTF or HTML content) in a second pane. As in the screenshot in the mini-review of RightNote wraith808 links to above.
There may be some that allow you to show images in the same panel as the items or entries. As I say, InfoQube can do this AFAIK - if you want help with it, best ask at it's forums (here)
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just possibly Noteliner?

Thanks for that!  I'd forgotten that I wanted to take a look at that app!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not big into Pims/Outliners. I'm not sure how TreePad Pro stacks up against the others. But it's been around forever. There are 3rd party tools for conversion to other formats. I use the TreePadLite free myself. From the Pro page it seems like it supports inline images.

Also they publish the specs for the file format. If you do a little programming yourself you may be able to input something and output it to TreePad format as I did with a Folder comment command line tool that spits out a TreePadLite file with a node for each file in the folder.

http://www.treepad.com/

Edit: seems they have a bunch of versions. Not sure which feature goes with which tier of the program. But the pages is there if it looks interesting. :)

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A new version 8.0 Treepad Business edition :
http://www.treepad.c...iz/new_features.html

Comparison chart -all editions (chart is not upgraded yet for TPBIZ v8, but you get some idea) :
http://www.treepad.com/featurechart/

Ska