topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google Tablet  (Read 25660 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Tablet
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 08:30 AM »
I was just thinking: maybe it doesn't need to be very large. Since this is not very common, it could display the dual pages when you change the orientation to horizontal, slightly scaled down. This might screw up the aspect ratio, though, which I reckon is sort of a big thing for these mobile OSs.

Colour e-ink... got to be available within five years. Easy.
I wouldn't say it will take that long, there's so much competition for that market that one of the big ones is bound to find the solution soon. However, "colour e-ink that can also emit light when necessary" I'd say might still take a while :P

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 08:44 AM »
Colour E-Ink is already available and apparently Amazon is going to be using it.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Hehe, you have no faith. What about all the little sea microbes that emit their own light - they could genetically modify them and make a screen out of a few billion of them. Perfect.

...they just haven't got the courage to try it.

Colour E-Ink is already available and apparently Amazon is going to be using it.

Oh, spoke too soon.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 08:50 AM »
Hehe, you have no faith. What about all the little sea microbes that emit their own light - they could genetically modify them and make a screen out of a few billion of them. Perfect.
I honestly have no idea why you don't work as a researcher! Your out of the box thinking would surely be a huge success :)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 10:53 AM »
If only. What a beautiful world I could help make... for the radioactive cockroaches that will dominate.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Storage is really not an issue unless you want to use the device primarily to watch video or listen to music, which I don't.  I mostly use my current 10" tablet for reading and browsing and have a lot of  productivity, database and reference apps installed, along with many books and documents in ePub or pdf formats.  By far the largest storage hogs are dictionaries. But out of the base 32GB storage, I still have about 25GB available.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Storage is really not an issue unless you want to use the device primarily to watch video or listen to music, which I don't. 
I guess my problem is that I listen to music while I work, read, and pretty much else and I fear that my music library would fill up that small disk.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 11:52 AM »
The Nexus 7 is going to compete based on price and speed; you're not going to find that many [hardware] features in a 7-inch tablet right now. My ideal device would be a 10-inch tablet that lets me plug in a keyboard/mouse at will, has more than 1Gb or memory, and USB 3. I might drop all else if that were a reality. Don't need an external keyboard most of the time, but for posting in forums like this, it's quicker. (And no, I don't want an ASUS business tablet, which is an ultrabook with the keyboard half ripped off.)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 12:20 PM »
I'd still love to see someone manufacture a large-format tablet -- something with a 8.5 x 14 inch screen or higher.

That puts it pretty much in the specialty area, so I wouldn't expect that anytime soon.

Mind you, it would be easier to read on that... (I read a lot of PDFs on my tablet.)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 12:27 PM »
For UK buyers, order here and get Free Delivery :) http://www.ebuyer.co...t-pc-90ok0mi1100550u

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 12:37 AM »
The Nexus 7 does not even support external memory through the USB port - which is not a matter of cost.

http://www.eweek.com...ch-Tablets-656002/1/

I guess Google intentionally wants to force your data into "the cloud" - more specifically their cloud. The Nexus phones are also the only (?) android phones without mSD card ports.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:40 PM by Lutz_ »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 03:58 AM »
The Nexus phones are also the only (?) android phones without mSD card ports.
Unfortunately not true: Sony and HTC are also on that same boat. Even though they do have mSD cards on other phones, their top-of-the line ones lack that feature (even though they do have twice the space of the Nexus, which is still not much).

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21 AM »
Oh, yeah - let's follow the shining example of aluminum apple then.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 09:37 AM »
Oh, yeah - let's follow the shining example of aluminum apple then.
Yeah, apparently they follow the rule of "if apple can sell products lacking important features, so can we". Terrible way of thinking, IMO.