Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 27, 2014, 11:20:26 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: It's a Google world  (Read 2600 times)
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:52:08 AM »

But in pulling a couple of screenshots for Local University Advanced on Thursday, this one for “pizza” really struck me.

from http://www.davidmihm.com/blog/google/world/

2008 comparison shot:
https://twitter.com/MikeC...10208493662257152/photo/1

Personally I haven't been able to replicate this though, was wondering if you had?

4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 07:27:36 AM »

Comodo Dragon with AdBlock Plus, Do Not Track Plus & Ghostery installed and enabled.....and still the ads get through.

If I put it into Incognito mode then they stop.

Interestingly, if I disable AdBlock Plus, DNTP & Ghostery I get two sponsored ads instead of one.

Makes me glad I use Firefox smiley

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 08:58:03 AM »

Interestingly, people still use Google.

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »

No adds here using Crome with AdBlock -- have you tried clicking that "why these adds?" link and see if it's something you can disable perhaps?

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 01:05:30 PM »

No adds here using Crome with AdBlock -- have you tried clicking that "why these adds?" link and see if it's something you can disable perhaps?

No adds here using FF & Adblock - I wonder is it a European vs. US thing (me & Jibz being in eu/europe)

Tom
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »

No adds here using FF & Adblock - I wonder is it a European vs. US thing (me & Jibz being in eu/europe)

Good point.

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »

Good point.

I'm down under smiley

But yes, I tried disabling/enabling AdBlock/DNTMP/Ghostery a few times, (this is only in Dragon), and it's come good, ie. no ads.  Don't know what happened, maybe it managed to sneak in an extension update while I wasn't looking.

Firefox, (plus addons), has always blocked the ads - that's my main browser.  Dragon is my portable browser.

zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »

Most google search results now are tied to your location and social network. Start by getting rid of that Gmail account if you have one.

- zaine (on Google+)
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 03:48:36 AM »

I'm not sure why you think this is a personal problem, it's not my screenshot smiley maybe read the articles smiley

TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 04:11:50 AM »

Yikes. They must also have some kind of location thing using your IP address by region because when I type "pizza" I get *eight* listings for local restaurants in my town! I'm not even logged in to any Google services!   ohmy

I don't yet know what I have to fiddle with to turn that off. 
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 04:21:19 AM »

Good enough that I don't use Google anyway. I've used Startpage or the related Ixquick (one day when startpage was misbehaving on me). Not many ads there.
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 05:03:01 AM »

I'm not sure why you think this is a personal problem, it's not my screenshot smiley maybe read the articles smiley

Probably because with the hline and everything the links at the bottom of your post look more like a signature to me than part of the post embarassed.

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 05:04:42 AM »

Does anyone know how to remove the "google ads" from the results listings using either ABP or ad muncher?

Strength in Knowledge
4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »

Yikes. They must also have some kind of location thing using your IP address by region because when I type "pizza" I get *eight* listings for local restaurants in my town! I'm not even logged in to any Google services!   ohmy

They've had IP based ads for years - although I don't normally see them due to Firefox addons.

Does anyone know how to remove the "google ads" from the results listings using either ABP or ad muncher?

Here's mine for AdBlock:

And when you open AdBlocks Blockable Items list, I have:

The three items blocked are: Bottom Ads, Right-Hand-Side Column and Top Ads.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.13 ]