topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Do you like CAPTCHAs?  (Read 4643 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Do you like CAPTCHAs?
« on: May 26, 2012, 10:56 PM »
While reading an article on another subject, I saw a link to an article about this. More research produced this article.

Are You a Human.jpg

Are You a Human replaces annoying CAPTCHAs with games

Do you think this system will succeed, now that CAPTCHAs are being hacked?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:03 PM by Arizona Hot »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do you like CAPTCHAs?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 11:46 PM »
Do you like CAPTCHAs?

No.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 11:49 PM »
There's an old saying - older than me  :P - that I cannot quote directly, but paraphrased, "What man can create, man can defeat/break."  (Well-l-l, I did say paraphrased  ;).)

There is serious doubt that any of us can devise/create anything that some other of us cannot defeat/circumvent.  Inventiveness prevails on both sides of the force, always has, always will.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 12:04 AM »
There's an old saying - older than me  :P - that I cannot quote directly, but paraphrased, "What man can create, man can defeat/break."  (Well-l-l, I did say paraphrased  ;).)

There is serious doubt that any of us can devise/create anything that some other of us cannot defeat/circumvent.  Inventiveness prevails on both sides of the force, always has, always will.

+1

As a solid example, prisons are perhaps the most secure areas around. Nobody gets in. Nobody gets out.

Why is it that you can always get drugs in prison?

Security theatre. More than just a show, an expensive one. :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 03:04 AM »
The idea isn't exactly new from the definition. (Too lazy to go to the actual link).

There are many illegal streams that ask you to choose and participate on a list of surveys to access say a video. I was too lazy to do it so I wasn't sure if it was some fancy form of spyware or not.

In the end, the problem is the philosophy behind the CAPTCHA and not the CAPTCHA itself. It's too mechanic.

Contrast this with a private torrent site that requires ratio to gain more access or even a a micro-credit based access point or a pay forum model and that's just 2.0 "social captcha" philosophy. The next level could be invite based and because of the sheer amount of invite demand, it could easily bypass the access problem of invites. The list goes on and on.

I'd rather opt for Paul's quote of "If you ban something, you subsidize it." over "what man can create, man can destroy."

Better creation stems from destruction. It happened with wars, it happened with failed food attempts, it happened with antiviruses with the fall of Norton...and I prefer this because it holds truer to the idea that man is fallible.

To quote Joe Rogan: (although he was using this in his stand-up skit)

Even the smart ones have just memorized a bunch of shit that other smart people have figured out.

He went further on this with his stand up by basically creating a version of the creation theory where the people who built the Pyramid of Giza died out and a surviving cast of survivors who had regressed from the wonderful years woke up, found the Pyramids and credited it to deities.

Mind you the joke started with an apocalyptic scenario of how vulnerable we are. Like he is a veteran comedian and yet he still didn't know how microphones worked. He just knew it produced sounds. The idea was that if electricity suddenly went away, we'd be more vulnerable than our ancestors. That in order for man to fix his destruction, he has to hope another man can innovate and then the rest would adapt quickly as possible because if society doesn't and we never fixed electricity, then it's a domino effect that would push us back to a cave man society only with buildings and over time, the cave men will forget that too and we'd just woke up as a species who are so awed at what our previous species have created that we'd attribute it to aliens, gods or legendary people until history and innovation recycles itself.

In terms of just relating to the contents of the actual paraphrase, it's a loose counter but in terms of inventiveness prevailing it's extremely relevant. If inventiveness prevailed, we won't have access to the internet because it would be so efficient at it's original design, it would have been mostly a military/rich people owned luxury and even with appropriate demand, we'd only create branched off "mass prototypes" much like an Android tablet is to an Ipad if the Ipad was a true luxury item for hipsters.

For CAPTCHA, it would be the same thing. It's not the inventiveness that would prevail IMO but the apathy. When CAPTCHA's are so broken that people actually are willing to be receptive to innovations irrelevant to the purpose of the CAPTCHA then people will invent and adopt that new service which will in time replace CAPTCHA.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:09 AM by Paul Keith »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 05:22 AM »
Are You a Human replaces annoying CAPTCHAs with games
-Arizona Hot (May 26, 2012, 10:56 PM)

-almost perfect ♥

Nice find, and Thank You for telling and linking!

direct: http://areyouahuman.com/demo

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:38 PM »
I hate captchas

I once stated an idea, where a device on mouse or keyboard will recognize the fingerprint of the user, to make sure that it is human and also to lifetime ban spammers by their fingerprint (ensuring ofcourse privacy), but it wasnt received with much enthusiasm

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 03:21 AM »
Captchas are pointless. Even reCAPTCHA is cracked by now, while we humans have serious problems entering "ᵺᴤᴃݩݝ" on a German keyboard.