Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 21, 2014, 01:10:16 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend bulk editor for EXIF/IPTC metadata?  (Read 7760 times)
rjbull
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »

My compact digital camera records some EXIF data in JPEGs, but not author or copyright.  It doesn't appear to write any IPTC data at all.  I know very little about digital images, so:

1) Is it possible to add author and copyright data to EXIF, when IrfanView doesn't show any such fields at present?  I.e., can those fields be added?

2) If so, please can you recommend a batch/bulk means of adding and/or editing EXIF/IPTC data?  I'm thinking of something like a file manager with a thumbnails view where I can mark the images for a particular operation, as opposed to a bulk rename-type utility where all files in a folder are operated on, without much choice.  However, if all else fails, or works out too expensive, I'd be prepared to take that route.

I'm not looking for image alteration features, only EXIF/IPTC data.  Naturally, the cheaper the better  smiley

I've heard of several that claim to do something close to what I'm looking for, including (apart from programs that are primarily image editors):

[Edit at UK time 2012-05-16, 22:06:-] Added Photo Mechanic.  Some of these programs are very expensive, given the prices of photo editing programs now. [/Edit]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:08:11 PM by rjbull » Logged
skwire
Charter Member

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:40:53 PM »

Time to save your money and get chummy with ExifTool GUI.

barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »

Metanull might do what you want, according to the description from Addictive Tips.  Haven't used it, just have the reference from AddictiveTips.  Also a reference from ghacks.

Make a good day ... barn
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »

GeoSetter is free, has a thumbnail view and will allow you to copy/paste EXIF/IPTC data from one picture to as many as you like.

Data is not written to the pictures until you choose to do so - uses exiftool to do the work and updates it when a new version is available.

This is my number one tool for general picture EXIF/IPTC manipulation - you don't have to use it for just doing Geo-tagging smiley

Add info through the edit data dialog:

You can edit the Custom View to only display the metadata you want to edit, metadata relating to specific things will be under a tab, eg. Location:

Author appears to be equivalent to Contact Byline in GeoSetter.

Copy data and then paste into selected images:

You can also create templates of EXIF/IPTC data from an image, (location, author, copyright, etc), and save them to apply to other images, eg. select your images, choose a template - job done.

But then, you can also use it for what it was originally designed for smiley
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:43:52 PM by 4wd » Logged

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.08 ]