Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 20, 2014, 07:41:47 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: In search of ... downgrade option for Win7 install.  (Read 1254 times)
barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 12, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »

I remember seeing this when Win7 first came out.  In fact, I used it once to help a friend.  But I lost it  Sad Angry.

There's a way to install a lower version of Windows from an Ultimate CD.  Actually, the tip worked both ways.  Basic premise was to copy the CD files to a hard drive, modify one (1) particular file, then create an ISO on a new CD and run the install.  Of course, the proper key is required for the version you are installing.

My sailing friend headed out to see his SO this evening.  He took along my Ultimate CDs, 32-bit and 64-bit.  His lady's laptop locked up on her, and he couldn't cure it over the phone (she's somewhat less than technically patient  Wink).  He created a recovery disc when they bought her laptop, but may not be able to find it.  And those recovery discs don't always work as advertised - I've had two (2) that failed, and have heard of others.  So I loaned him the CDs I bought, with the understanding that he'd use the key on her laptop. 

But I think he'll need to do the correction thing in order for them to work.  I've mentioned before that my short-term memory - say five (5) to ten (10) years - ain't what it used to be, and it's failing me now in finding the aforementioned instruction  mad.

So the question is, does anyone have a link to that instruction, or perhaps know how to accomplish the kinda/sorta downgrade?

Make a good day ... barn
mwb1100
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:50:13 PM »

As I understand it, the "downgrade" is an entitlement that Microsoft gives to people who have licensed Windows 7 - you just install the downgrade version of Windows that you want (you still need to have a key for that version) and you install it.  If it doesn't activate, you call Microsoft and they'll give the activation code over the phone because the downgrade option makes it legit. It appears that you can downgrade using an OEM key for the older OS too, which normally isn't permitted to be installed on a different machine (but I might be mistaken about that).

See:

- http://www.microsoft.com/...ges/downgrade_rights.aspx
  - http://www.microsoft.com/..._do_downgrade_rights.aspx

barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:50:32 AM »

Have you ever been on the phone to MS  undecided Cry?

This was a different route to accomplish the same thing you describe, but it was a matter of altering one (1) file to make all installations available.  Proper key needed, of course.  Note:  this is not an illegal process, it's just a way of making all versions available from the same CD.

Make a good day ... barn
mwb1100
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:35:49 AM »

Sorry, I think I was a little confused about what you really wanted.   But, I think I found what you're looking for:

Convert Win7 Ultimate to Pro or Home Premium

Here’s the crux of the matter: If you put a DVD containing Win7 Ultimate in your PC and run the installer — either by booting from the disc or running the setup program from inside Windows — you end up with Win7 Ultimate. No surprises there.

However, if you first delete a tiny file named ei.cfg before making the installation DVD, the Win7 installer will give you the choices shown in Figure 1.

In fact, no matter which Win7 installation DVD you have — Ultimate, Pro, or Premium — if you delete the ei.cfg file from the disc, you’ll be offered the same choices and can install any version of Windows 7.
4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 03:29:33 AM »

Create an ISO of the W7 install DVD, (any retail version), use the ei.cfg Removal Utility on it, then write the ISO back to a DVD.

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
barney
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »

Thankee, both  thumbs up.

That's the little monster I was trying to remember  Thmbsup.  Now I'll be ready when he calls  tongue.

Make a good day ... barn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.029s | Server load: 0.08 ]