Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 22, 2014, 03:05:19 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Extension List Dumper (Firefox add-on) - Quick overview.  (Read 3064 times)
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »

Originally posted:2012-05-06
Last updated:2014-02-26

Looking for something to replace the Firefox Add-on Mr Tech Toolkit, I was browsing some earlier posts in another thread - Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful - and I saw @Curt's post:
« Reply #446 on: 2012-03-22, 09:52:05 ». In it he says:
After two weeks with Waterfox I am pleased with this setup:
Application: Firefox 10.0.2 (20120219181052)
Operating System: WINNT (x86_64-msvc)
- and then follows a list of all the Add-ons in his configuration.

I thought "How the heck did he make that list?", and rummaged through the list and discovered Extension List Dumper..
After downloading and installing it, and then playing about with it, I realised that it's a potentially hugely useful tool to help manage Firefox Add-ons.
Here are some a shots of its UI, showing what I selected to produce my list below, and the 2 drop-down menus:

After a minimal amount of learning time, I got it to make this list of my Add-ons. Note that I set it to display the ID, which is the extension's curly-bracketed file name in the user profile, as for example, in the path:
C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\2vuv8r8c.default\extensions\{bcd47b5a-43be-433f-9051-7ce2cdf94ac0}

If an add-on is giving me strife, and the inbuilt methods for turning them off are locked (as happens from time to time), then I now I have a tool for targetting the ID of that add-on's installation folder and I can just zap it. I've had to do that before, and it was really difficult not knowing the folder's exact ID.
Thanks to Extension List Dumper, I am now better-informed.

Note on display/output: (a workaround)
To produce the list of extensions as per my list in the spoiler above, all I did was select the appropriate output (BBS was selected), and then press Copy to clipboard, and paste into the DCF spoiler field.
@Curt would have done the same in his post (per the link above), except he posted into the DCF comment field directly.
However, I also wanted to have a copy of the list of extensions in my OneNote repository, but there's no "Rich Text Format" output option in Extension List Dumper.
So I Posted the comment, then opened the spoiler, selected all the listed text in there, copied it and posted it into OneNote.
Bingo! Nice RTF output!

So whenever I want an updated extension list, I simply use the DCF comments field as an intermediate step to getting the list in RTF, by Previewing the list in a DCF comment field, and then copying/pasting the RTF text into OneNote, and then discarding the comment (i.e., not posting it).

Here's a sample of the output I get, in OneNote:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:28:39 PM by IainB; Reason: Update review. » Logged
eleman
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »

faviconize tab's functionality is now offered by firefox itself you know.
right click on any tab and select "pin as app tab"

one less add-on, one less memory leak.
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »

That's a lot of add ons!  ohmy
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »

faviconize tab's functionality is now offered by firefox itself you know.
right click on any tab and select "pin as app tab"
one less add-on, one less memory leak.
That's a lot of add ons!  ohmy

Thanks @eleman and @TaoPhoenix!
Yes, I put up that list of add-ons at the start of a long-overdue weeding-out process that I had been putting off for ages. A lot  of those accumulated add-ons have already been either disabled or deleted by now (Faviconize has been deleted).
I keep some of my favourites amongst them in a disabled state (e.g., Mr Tech), hoping that the developers will rejuvenate them at some point, because their functionality may still be special/unique, but when they are clearly obsolete/redundant, then they get deleted.
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:54:55 PM »

Just updated the opening post with this workaround note as to how to get an RTF copy of the extension list:
Note on display/output: (a workaround)
To produce the list of extensions as per my list in the spoiler above, all I did was select the appropriate output (BBS was selected), and then press Copy to clipboard, and paste into the DCF spoiler field.
@Curt would have done the same in his post (per the link above), except he posted into the DCF comment field directly.
However, I also wanted to have a copy of the list of extensions in my OneNote repository, but there's no "Rich Text Format" output option in Extension List Dumper.
So I Posted the comment, then opened the spoiler, selected all the listed text in there, copied it and posted it into OneNote.
Bingo! Nice RTF output!

So whenever I want an updated extension list, I simply use the DCF comments field as an intermediate step to getting the list in RTF, by Previewing the list in a DCF comment field, and then copying/pasting the RTF text into OneNote, and then discarding the comment (i.e., not posting it).

Here's a sample of the output I get, in OneNote:
(see image in opening post)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:27:29 PM by IainB; Reason: Minor edits. » Logged
J-Mac
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »

There was at one time an extension called "Fx InfoLister" that did the above. The author decided not to continue the extension back when Mozilla initially put Add-ons Review Team concept in place and they were exceedingly stringent. They wanted him to do a lot more than he felt it was worth since his extension really did nothing but read the extension list and put it into a few different formats for you to save or print. A shame as it was a nice and light but useful add-on.

Jim

"I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath."
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »

It should be noted that I actually have two "addon listers": The mentioned Extension List Dumper, and one that is part of the QA/Automation/Projects/Addons/NightlyTesterTools: >Nightly Tester Tools :: Add-ons for Firefox<

Menu Bar > Tools > Nightly Tester Tools:

-but I don't like the overcrowded design of the output:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:29:56 AM by Curt » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.17s | Server load: 0.37 ]