topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: Suspend and resume network activity  (Read 4756 times)

lothark

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: Suspend and resume network activity
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:36 AM »
I'd like a tool that can live in the system notification area which when clicked toggles suspending/resuming network activity.

As you know, the installers for many programs do all sorts of things behind the scenes, including phoning home and possibly more nefarious things. What I want is a quick way to suspend network activity prior to initiating an install, and then resuming activity on completion.

I'm aware that some firewalls have or had options to do this, but I mainly only use the Windows' firewall.

I'd need this for Win XP and Win 7 machines.

My trawl of the Internet didn't turn up anything, but perhaps some of you know of such a tool? Or can create one?

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: Suspend and resume network activity
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:20 AM »
Internet Off might do what you want.
The advantage of this tool is that it lets you quickly turn off (and on) your internet connection from system tray. When you go offline all those distractions disappear. There's no Twitter, no chat, no web, only you and your tasks.

InternetOff can be downloaded from developer’s site here. It supports Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 (both 32 and 64bit)

I've had no opportunity to test it, but if it performs as advertised, it should do what you want.

Addendum:  here is another review.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:28 AM by barney »

lothark

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: Suspend and resume network activity
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:40 PM »
That's pretty much exactly what I wanted. There's an extra click when turning back on, but it gets the job done.

Many thanks!