Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 22, 2014, 10:57:57 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: antivirus' negative impact on read/write/copy etc file speed  (Read 2382 times)
kalos

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:28:31 PM »

hello

I notice that running an antivirus, has a noticably negative impact on read/write/copy etc file speed
if this is true, I suppose it is because before accessing a file, it is firstly read and scanned by the antivirus, which causes a delay

to overcome this problem, I wonder if we can run every new file sandboxed by default, so that we wont have any delay (afaik, to be honest I 've never used sandbox) and afterwards, antivirus may scan the file, or afterwards, if antivirus will not detect malicious behaviour, the file to be removed from sandbox

this way, the whole system will be more secure (since malicious file detect wont lay only to heuristics analysis, but also its real behaviour will be examined), and moreover, the whole system will be more responsive and there will be no negative impact to its performance

your opinion?

thanks!
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 02:47:36 AM »

Would running files sandboxed have any less impact on file access times?

justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:05:05 AM »

If this is feasible I'm sure that antivirus is already doing it?

kalos

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:45:44 AM »

if you really ask me, I can't tell, I have no idea how sandbox works
eleman
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:38:48 AM »

Check the secret message under the comic.
x16wda
Supporting Member

what am I doing in this handbasket?

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »

Grin

vi vi vi - editor of the beast
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 11:27:45 AM »

To sandbox it it has to create a sandbox environment for the file before running it and then revert everything back after it has finished. I would have thought most AV apps could do a virus check more quickly.

kalos

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 01:07:58 PM »

To sandbox it it has to create a sandbox environment for the file before running it and then revert everything back after it has finished. I would have thought most AV apps could do a virus check more quickly.

surely more quickly, but also more resources efficiently?
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »

I would have thought an AV check is quicker simply because the AV engine is already running and apart from reading it there isn't much else to do.

If your AV is slowing your system down I would say get a better/more efficient AV.

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »

If your AV is slowing your system down I would say get a better/more efficient AV.

FWIW, I stopped using Avira because of this. I'm now finding MS Security Essentials is slowing things down a lot more than it used to...

Tom
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 04:29:08 AM »

Maybe you have a virus  huh

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 05:11:24 AM »

Maybe you have a virus  huh

who, me ??? tongue smiley

if so neither app found anything. I know that doesnt necessarily mean much. Avira (av-pro) was last year, it always slowed things down all round - too much for my liking, also, it was on a different machine. MS seems to take a lot more CPU than it used to, and it often stalls Firefox when e.g. I'm downloading or opening a file, it usen't do this before (there was always a little lag, like with any real-time scanning). This could also be todo with new version of FF. I haven't really been keeping a good record of things so cant be sure...
Maybe I'm just being a fussy beggar ;-) it's nothing I cant live with.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.035s | Server load: 0.08 ]