Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 03, 2014, 02:12:25 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: free antivirus  (Read 5994 times)
eleman
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »

or just use the VirusTotal Uploader

Here's a quick autohotkey script that makes virustotal uploader even more simple:

[copy or print]
^!v::  ; hotkey to call upload to virustotal.com function (ctrl-alt-v)
; virustotal uploader must be installed at "C:\Program Files\VirusTotalUploader2\VirusTotalUpload2.exe"
{
VirusFile := % gst()   ; assign full path of the selected file to a variable

Run, C:\Program Files\VirusTotalUploader2\VirusTotalUpload2.exe "%VirusFile%"
}
Return

gst() {   ; GetSelectedText or FilePath in Windows Explorer by Learning one
   IsClipEmpty := (Clipboard = "") ? 1 : 0
   if !IsClipEmpty {
      ClipboardBackup := ClipboardAll
      While !(Clipboard = "") {
         Clipboard =
         Sleep, 10
      }
   }
   Send, ^c
   ClipWait, 0.1
   ToReturn := Clipboard, Clipboard := ClipboardBackup
   if !IsClipEmpty
   ClipWait, 0.5, 1
   Return ToReturn
}
Return

press ctrl-alt-v with the file selected in windows explorer, and voila!
Here's the compiled script - 199.6 Kb

btw, virustotal uploader must be installed at "C:\Program Files\VirusTotalUploader2\VirusTotalUpload2.exe"

p.s.: I got the gst() function from someone else's script. I don't remember whom or where though.
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 01:43:45 AM »

Have you never opened the AVG window? Usually adverts there.

I also hate AVGs regular scans that seem to grind your system to a complete standstill.

No ads in the main window, and all my scans are set to "User Aware" which means it only uses minimal resources so I've never noticed lag

Strange every version of AVG Free I have seen has had ads in it, and popups at the most annoying moments. Are you running some sort of OS level ad blocker (like AdMuncher) ?

Nope, none at all

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
kalos

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 05:12:34 PM »

Still no resident AV here. When I download something, I scan it with ClamAV or just use the VirusTotal Uploader (usually someone other have already checked it, so the results are instantaneous). If I am very suspicious of some executable, first I run it under Sandboxie and try to figure out if it's doing something fishy.
So far so good.

I have gone for years without AV too. But I dread to think that one day, a new threat may compromise my system beyond repair. Better safe than sorry. Or you think one can still go on without AV?
Mark0
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »

I think if a PC (or a small network) is a one man operation, one could be reasonably confident.
If there's more than 1 person with access: hardly.

kalos

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »

but you can still accidentally click RUN to that popup in your web browser that offers to download a virus...
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »

Precisely. Software does not avoid human stupidity.

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Mark0
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »

True of course. But Chrome usually need you to explicitly confirm a download if it involve an EXE. Then there's the UAC. And so on.
And then again, one can also click on the wrong gadget when an AV turn up a window screaming about a possible virus ad asking what to do.

What can I say? I take my chances. Works for me. YMMV.
Not that I recommend it...

RachelBuzz
Participant

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 07:09:07 AM »

I think I will go for a free solution with VIPRE engine/signatures, before moving to paid solution
I read all the time that it's superior
so far, I only found UnThreat that uses it, any others?
I'm glad you found it! I like Unthreat, it's really light on my system and they came out with a new version that I think it even better!
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 09:49:25 AM »

Thanks for the generous and selfless offer, dear first-timer.

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 04:43:35 AM »

Oh, and the next Optimo AV developer here? Or are you the same guy?

- @VeryGrumpyCat
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.037s | Server load: 0.16 ]