topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: 1-action Unzip  (Read 40521 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: 1-action Unzip
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 01:43 PM »
The most seamless handling of zip files I've seen was by Zipmagic (not too sure what's become of the product... )

- they had something called ZipFolders.
Append .zip to a folder name and it gets compressed into a zip file.
Click on a zip file and it opens in Windows Explorer, just as a folder would.

Wonder why that didn't catch on or get built right into Windows Explorer... I'd love for a utility to handle .rar files that way.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:28 PM by nosh »

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Finished the update:

This turned out to be a really sweet app IMO.

After install you will get a settings dialog (see attached image) that will allow you to:
  • Set the file associations (supported file types are ZIP, RAR, 7z, TAR, CAB)
  • Set an Open With application to open archives (used when FastUnzip Snack is disabled or popup menu is used)
  • Disable FastUnzip Snack (must have an Open With application set)
  • Use a popup menu before extraction (see attached image)

You can also open the settings from Start > FastUnzip Snack > FastUnzip Snack Settings

Download from my original post as well as screen shots. I'm also going to put this under Announce Your Software.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 07:33 PM »

Wonder why that didn't catch on or get built right into Windows Explorer... I'd love for a utility to handle .rar files that way.

I got the impression that MS used to like to build "purposely bad knockoffs" of famous utilities just enough to cannibalize the premum app, and the extract wizard always felt like a junk copy of things like WinZip. I've seen more effort from some of y'all on like 3 weeks on an app than lots of MS's little trinkets. (System Restore was another one, felt like a junk copy of GoBack.)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Close, but I dunno if this is a quirk on just my machine or not, when it extracts it seems like the folder isn't created, so when it puts the archive into the folder, it looks like it's gone! However, Right Click - Refresh makes it appear.

Any advice?

(In a related note, another app that modifies show/don't show file extensions needs a refresh too.)

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Yeah, that does the same on my system. I have other apps that do that as well. WinRAR and 7-Zip both do that. I'll try to see if I can add a refresh to the folder after extraction. I'll get to this tomorrow.

Also, on a side note, if I am using an app like this in a folder that is inside a Dropbox folder that happens as well. But in another folder it shows fine.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Sure, you're almost there, so I can wait a day. If nothing else, do a refresh on the whole desktop, maybe with just a tail end script call or something.

Yay! Go away MS Wizard!
"You have opened a wizard. (next) This wizard will extract files. (next) Do you want to extract them here? (fair enough) (next) Wizard will now extract files. (next) Wizard has finished. (Need to uncheck box to not be bombed with the folder opening.) (Finish.) Are you sure you want to finish? (Yes) Clippy says you might need assistance finishing the wizard. (No I don't.)"

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 07:24 AM »
Ok. I updated FastUnzip Snack to refresh after extraction. Download from original post or here -> https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=30797.0;attach=65859

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 07:50 AM »
Ok. I updated FastUnzip Snack to refresh after extraction. Download from original post or here -> https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=30797.0;attach=65859

Heh What time zone are you in Chris? I just got to work so I won't know the results until tonight! Let's hope that I remember to test it when I get home! : )

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 08:06 AM »
I'm Central time. I'll try to remember to post a reminder about 8 hours from now.  :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 04:32 PM »
I think it works! Munch Munch!

Another Coding Snack Wins!

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Cool! Great to hear.  :D

magician62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Close, but I dunno if this is a quirk on just my machine or not, when it extracts it seems like the folder isn't created, so when it puts the archive into the folder, it looks like it's gone! However, Right Click - Refresh makes it appear.

Any advice?

(In a related note, another app that modifies show/don't show file extensions needs a refresh too.)

Windows 7 ? There is a known issue with explorer refresh in Win 7 32/64bit. I have not yet seen a solution for myself, but there are some suggestions out there that some seem to have had sucess with
Why an I Magician62? Because Magician1 thru 61 were gone. :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 02:21 PM »

Any advice?

Windows 7 ? There is a known issue with explorer refresh in Win 7 32/64bit. I have not yet seen a solution for myself, but there are some suggestions out there that some seem to have had sucess with

That was occurring for me on Windows XP though.

RobC

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Windows when extracting creates a sub folder, and places the extracted files into there.
I HATE THAT
It appears that your program (and perhaps many others) do the same.
7Zip appears to be the only sane one out there.
If you right click a zip file, and choose extract here - It does as commanded.
No flippin sub folder, that I have to go into, to move the files back where I intended (the same folder that I carefully placed the zip into).
And I don't then need to delete the sub folder, that was created out of thin air, without my permission.

Any chance that you will join the sane programs ?

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 11:07 AM »
It depends on how the ZIP file is made. If the ZIP file has a folder in it, that is how it is extracted. That is the way my app works (unless you tell it to extract to a sub folder). I use the command line verson of 7-zip for my app, so if it is making a sub folder if you are not asking it to do so, then there is a folder in the ZIP file.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 11:34 AM »

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Wow, very cool. Thanks for letting me know.  :Thmbsup:

RobC

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 01:56 AM »
It depends on how the ZIP file is made. If the ZIP file has a folder in it, that is how it is extracted. That is the way my app works (unless you tell it to extract to a sub folder). I use the command line verson of 7-zip for my app, so if it is making a sub folder if you are not asking it to do so, then there is a folder in the ZIP file.
-c.gingerich (May 27, 2012, 11:07 AM)
The DotTech page that was recommending your program said -
"FastUnzip Snack works by becoming your default ZIP/RAR/7z/TAR/CAB handler. When you open one of these files, it automatically extracts it to a folder of the same name, just like every other program does"

MS extract has been creating a sub folder out of thin air for years, and I have been avoiding using MS extract for that reason.
When the Dottech chap appeared to be singing the praises of sub folder creation, that triggered my rant on their page. Then someone mentioned it was from Donation Coders, so I had a mumble here too

Sorry if I misjudged it.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 08:57 AM »
No Prob. I get frustrated with software that doesn't act the way I want either... so I write my own! :) If you have tried/use it, hope ya like it. I have some other apps on my site also if you are interested.

Also, I tried to reply a comment on dottech, (the one from Swim) explaining that no registration is used/needed and can just be downloaded and use either here or my site, but it is not posting. Any idea why?

RobC

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Also, I tried to reply a comment on dottech, (the one from Swim) explaining that no registration is used/needed and can just be downloaded and use either here or my site, but it is not posting. Any idea why?
-c.gingerich (May 28, 2012, 08:57 AM)

Are you a member.
I just had a look, and I assume the sign up label is top right.
(That is where my Logout label appears)

In the meantime, I will post your paragraph to their page.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 11:00 AM »
@RobC:  I'm just curious why you don't like it when an app puts a new folder?  Do you mean at the same level (in the same parent folder) as the ZIP file?

It seems logical to me that it should work this way.  As far as I'm aware, a zip file is just a folder that's been zipped.  If I "unzip" it, then I'd expect it to be a folder again, and be in the same location.  Putting new folder essentially does this--right?

RobC

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 11:13 AM »
@RobC:  I'm just curious why you don't like it when an app puts a new folder?  Do you mean at the same level (in the same parent folder) as the ZIP file?

It seems logical to me that it should work this way.  As far as I'm aware, a zip file is just a folder that's been zipped.  If I "unzip" it, then I'd expect it to be a folder again, and be in the same location.  Putting new folder essentially does this--right?

If someone zips a folder, then fair enough he probably intends the recipient to get a folder.
However if I zip two files, say a .txt and and .exe, then when someone unzips it, I expect those two files to appear in the same folder that the zip was placed in.
My understanding of this program is, if I happened to name the zip file - "UnzipTheseTwoFiles.zip" then the recipient is going to get a sub folder created called "UnzipTheseTwoFiles".
Windows has been doing that for years, and that is why I install 7Zip as my very first priority.
If you have 7Zip try right clicking a zip file, and choose extract here.
That is what I believe god intended. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 11:46 AM »
Adding my 2 cents to the issue.  The crux of the dilemma as I see it is that the risks are asymmetrical.  That is:

If you unpack into a newly created subfolder.. The worst case scenario is simply that the user has to go into the subdirectory to move them out.  If they want to "undo" the unzip operation, they just delete the new subfolder.

But if you unpack 500 files into the top-level directory where the zip is, the worst case scenario might be pretty damn bad -- it might mean you've dumped 500 files in with a whole bunch of other files and the user has no easy way to see which files are newly unpacked vs which were already there.  If they want to "undo" the operation they are screwed.

I think for this reason, the prudent thing for quick unzipping where the user hasnt explicitly right clicked and said to unpack into root of a specific directory, is to always create a new subdirectory.