Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 19, 2014, 02:00:23 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Publishers shoot toes off again  (Read 758 times)
xtabber
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:10 AM »

An interesting article  in Wired provides yet another example of how content providers would rather protect their intellectual property from theft than make it worthwhile for people to pay for it.

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:46:03 AM »

An interesting article  in Wired provides yet another example of how content providers would rather protect their intellectual property from theft than make it worthwhile for people to pay for it.

in particular, how font foundries were afraid of their fonts being ripped off, so they didn't give licenses for html5 or PDF - so many magazines used PNGs until now...

Tom
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

Making a Post, Editing it twice to make it nice.

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »

Bleh - Fonts!

I'm as much of a detail freak as anyone, but fonts annoy me. Different programs shuffle between defaults. Times New Roman, Geneva, Arial, Calibri, Verdana (which doesn't behave nicely on my work printer! Prob. a driver issue - I hate drivers too!)

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »

@xtabber: Thanks for posting this and pointing to the very interesting Wired article - which I had not read before.
I guess the situation is that the newly-emerging technology in the iPad is running foul of and having to workaround the legacy of what we can now perceive as archaic, mountainous copyright-locked business models.
Since the mountain is Big Corporations, I would guess that we are stuck with "Mohammed will have to keep going to the mountain".
That's just more innovative technological adaptation, I suppose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.035s | Server load: 0.23 ]