topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... opinions on synchronization software  (Read 5068 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In search of ... opinions on synchronization software
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Folk,

During a [somewhat drunken] discussion last night, the topic of synchronization software reared its head and hissed at us.

So, I thought I'd inquire here as to what y'all consider to be best of breed.

Reason for the conversation was that a friend of mine has a sailing school, and he's looking for something other than a backup software, something that'll give him immediate recovery potential for day-to-day mistakes.

I use Syncless - in my startup group - on a daily basis for a number of note/history files, and I've used SyncToy, SyncbackSE, GoodSync, Sync Butler from time to time, but I'd like to be able to recommend to him some software or combination based on a bit more than my personal usages.

There's been reference here to such software, but kinda dated.

So, do you use synchronization software?  If so, what?  And why?

Oh, yeah, Windows systems, Win7 for me, combination of Win7 and WinXP for him.  One (1) non-networked box (for security reasons) and one (1) Sony laptop that'll talk to the world.

sicknero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... opinions on synchronization software
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Hi.

I also gave up on dedicated backup software some time ago, for 2 reasons - the main one being that none of them seemed able to cope with foreign characters (e.g. č, š, ž etc) in filenames, and would either fail completely or just pass over them and not back them up. The other reason is that they all seem to bypass empty folders. And the great thing about filesync apps is that they don't create their own format of back up... so you can use different ones without having to re-create your back ups.

Anyway, after trying several, I've settled on FreeFileSync. It's on version 5 and I like it a lot... it can seem very slow at times, but when I actually timed it against other sync apps, there didn't actually seem to be much difference.
It's really easy to use; compares first and then shows you a list of pending changes, which can be kept or deselected as you please. It has various sync options... Mirror/Update/Auto/Custom, and an option for deleted files to go in the recycle bin, just in case. You can save jobs, can drag and drop folders onto it, and it can copy file permissions if you tell it to. Also it has a portable version.

Before FreeFileSync, I always used FileMenuTools which has a built in sync'er... excellent app overall but I stopped using it when I moved on to Windows 7.

Lastly you might like PureSync... I tried it and it seems very good, just a bit too heavyweight/over-complicated for my own needs.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Another vote here for FreeFileSync.  I used Goodsync for awhile (until the company changed their policies), and before that Synctoy and a couple others, but FFS is simple and works really well.  Can be run from a batch file too, and includes a realtime sync service that you can set up to sync whenever a folder changes.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:30 PM »
During a [somewhat drunken] discussion last night, the topic of synchronization software reared its head and hissed at us.

I've got nothing to add, but I do wonder what it's like getting inebriated with friends & then have a rousing debate about syncing our stuff. :D

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:56 PM »
I've got nothing to add, but I do wonder what it's like getting inebriated with friends & then have a rousing debate about syncing our stuff. :D
Ah, as to that, well, we both consider that an occasional adult beverage (every fifteen (15) to twenty (20) minutes or so  :-\) is both the lubricant and the progenitor of rational, reasonable, & intelligent conversation.  The profundities that we approach late in the evening are amazing  :P!  However, this was early on, so we were both still reasonably coherent  :Thmbsup:.

He has a backup system in place, but had not encountered the concept of synchronization.  Since the database machine is updated via sneaker net, e.g., a thumb drive, syncing software would make things a bit simpler while performing admin tasks (which he hates, btw  ;).)  Told him I'd check with some on line brains to see if there was something better than what I was using.  Since he's teaching this week - hands on, on-the-bay, overnight anchorages, sleep on the boat, lessons - I still have a couple of days to reach a decide.  As mentioned, I'm partial to Syncless, but concensus here (can two (2) references be called a concensus  :-\?) seems to be FreeFileSync.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 05:29 PM »
@kalos

That's one (1) that I've overlooked, methinks.  I thought it was a backup software, and my sailing buddy doesn't want to change his backup system.  However, when I followed your link, I saw that it does seem to have replication capabilities as well.  The important thing there will be whether we can pick the files to be replicated, not just the directories.  I'll give it a try in the next day or two (2).

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Since you're talking about sneaker net you might need to run USBDLM, (free for private use), to make sure Windows assigns the same drive letter to the flash drive each time it's inserted.

I don't think Bvckup works on anything other than the drive letter, (or UNC), so if it changes the backup/sync won't happen.

SyncBack SE/Pro, (which I use but aren't free), will also trigger from the drive serial number which only changes when you format the device.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 07:01 PM »
I thimk we've run USBDLM on his system.  That or something pretty close to it.

Yeah, SyncBackSE has been a mainstay (for me) for years, but it's a bit of a pain to set up in sync mode, at least for what we want to accomplish.

As mentioned, I'm partial to Syncless, but it's all directory level.  We're only looking at a few files, although that could grow a bit.  Part of the problem here is reactionary - meaning him  :D.  He insists upon a duplicate menu system for his site, one (1) hardcoded into index.php, the other as an include for other pages, because he's heard somewhere that Google doesn't always read includes.  So I have to cater, in part, to his attitudes - hey, sync a whole directory when only two (2) files have changed? - regardless my opinion  :(.