Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 23, 2014, 09:29:17 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chrome broke and I can't fix it. Setting Chrome as default browser.  (Read 1020 times)
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 24, 2012, 02:36:29 AM »

Hi folks,

About a week ago there was a power outage during the night time, and in the morning when I turned on my computer and tried to open my web browser, Windows told me that Chrome couldn't be found and asked if I wanted to delete the shortcut.

So first of all, does anyone know how it's possible for Chrome to completely disappear due to an unexpected shutdown?

But it gets worse. I downloaded and reinstalled Chrome, but it won't let me set it as my default browser. Or rather, setting it as my default browser doesn't work. When I click a link in other applications, nothing happens. I've tried setting IE and Firefox as my default browser, and those work, but ever since I reinstalled Chrome I cannot get my system to use it as my default browser.

Halp! Does anyone know how to fix this? Sad

I seem to be experiencing a similar issue as in this thread, except I haven't installed AVG, so I know it's not that. I tried all the troubleshooting steps in that thread and Chrome doesn't show up in the list of applications in my Default Programs settings.

Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 03:02:21 AM »

OK this is really weird. In the IRC channel, ewemoa recommended that I uninstall Chrome so I could reinstall it to see if that would fix things.

So I uninstalled Chrome, and then I clicked a link to see what was my new default browser. And guess what browser opened the link? Google Chrome. ohmy

So now that Chrome technically isn't installed anymore, it works perfectly as my default browser. huh How does that work? undecided

Case closed, I guess... stars

techidave
Supporting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:05 AM »

Weird... well I guess it isn't broke no more  cheesy tongue
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:06:29 AM »

In the IRC channel, ewemoa recommended that I uninstall Chrome so I could reinstall it to see if that would fix things.
Obviously ewemoa is a clever guy, and knows stuff that other people don't know Thmbsup tongue Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.033s | Server load: 0.13 ]