topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: GUD (BIG idea)  (Read 5200 times)

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: GUD (BIG idea)
« on: January 16, 2006, 10:05 PM »
When I say big, I mean as in big project, big pain, etc...  It'd be really cool tho.  :-[

Anyway, I was reading a thread about yet another desktop reminder program when it hit me... shouldn't this be part of the OS?  No, it should be an add on, but my calendar program can be a reminder, so can Act and 1/2 of my other apps.  Lots of overlap, nothing is quite right... you know how it works.

So the big idea is this:  The Grand Unified Desktop.  Basically it would just be the coordination point for many applets to do the things we all want.   

Then I Google'd GUD and found a couple.  Zope aims to do this via the web.  RedHat tried this with a KDE/Gnome combo, but I don't think it went very well. 

To do this on windows, you'd probably need to replace explorer.exe and start with something like blackbox.  There are lots of interesting GUI's to examine to see what works best.  AmigaDOS had REXX ports built into just about every app.  I think XML could server a similar purpose here.

At any rate, it's be a lot to take on... anyone intersted in starting a concept list... or is this just too... (insert your negative adjective here)?
Insert Brilliant Sig line here
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 04:58 AM by brotherS »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: BIG Idea: GUD
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:40 AM »
blackbox, geoshell, litestep, <etc>. And widget things like the bloated Konfabulator.

I prefer blackbox (bb4win/bblean) - because it's *lean*. And it's not too hard to write plugins for, either. Konfabulator is okay, I suppose, if you like eyecandy but don't mind bloat; it's not a shell replacement, just a widget-thing, using javascript and stuff.
- carpe noctem

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:38 PM »
fodder,

Do you know if any of these applets support sync'ing to blackberry or palm os? 

What's that?  Google it myself? :o  OK... going to google... ;)
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 08:42 PM »
blackbox/windows: www.bb4win.org

No idea if there's any such applets for Konfabulator - but you can have a look at their site, there's a lot of different stuff.
- carpe noctem

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 10:50 AM »
Maybe start with a bare-naked Litestep config and use LsLua for the scripting. Lightweight and C-like, it should do well. If I remember correctly, BBLean also had a super-powered script engine in the works. Recall?