Newsletter for February 14, 2012
"Codename: Heart of a Bird"
1. Newsletter Editorial
Greetings. It's been about a month since we posted the results of our NANY 2012 event; if you haven't checked out the videos of all of the new free apps yet, you'll find a link in section 4 below -- I encourage you to give them a look.
Things have been a bit quiet on DC since then, except for the day we joined ranks with Wikipedia and went offline for 24 hours to protest and help kill the proposed SOPA legislation that would harm Internet freedom (see section 8 below), and except for a major new software release: Screenshot Captor 3.
I hope you will forgive me taking some space in the newsletter editorial to talk a bit about this release. I want to say thank you to all the Screenshot Captor users and testers, and especially the donators, who have made it possible for me to keep working on the program for all these years. Version 2 came out on September 3rd, 2005. That's six years and over 100 updates ago.
If you've not tried Screenshot Captor yet, this might be the perfect time to do so. And if you're already a user of Screenshot Captor but haven't yet made a donation -- I'm hoping you will take this opportunity to do so -- it would mean a lot to me. Even better would be to take some time and use our DonationCredits system to distribute your donation to different members on our site whose work you want to support.
Lastly, I want to dedicate this Screenshot Captor Version 3 release to Gizmo's Tech Support Alert website, which gave Screenshot Captor its Best in Class award for screenshot tools. Gizmo has always been super supportive of this site, and I can't express how honored I feel to have Screenshot Captor receive that award. It motivated me to double my efforts to improve the program. See below for links to more reviews as well as some videos showing off the new features.
Oh yes -- and happy Valentine's day!
2. DonationCoder Software Updates and Discussions
Below you will find some updates and discussion threads for some of the main DC applications. The Screenshot Captor and Find and Run Robot releases this month also mark the start of a new process for packaging the releases. In the past each program had a single zip-compatible installer. The new releases are now provided as two separate downloads, a standard installer and a portable zip file. This should eliminate any confusion with portable versions and eliminate some partial download difficulties. In addition you will find the files are now digitally signed, which should eliminate some annoying warnings about unknown downloads in some browsers.
- Milestone Release: Screenshot Captor v3 (5 years and over 100 updates in the making)
- FARR Version 2.104 released
- Screenshot Captor "best in class" on FreewareGenius
- More reviews of the new Screenshot Captor Version 3
- Farr freezes due to Microsoft Security Essentials: solved but...
- Screenshot Captor 3 - Window Object and Scrolling Capture Screencast Videos
- C# DirectX Capture (Adding to Screenshot Captor)
- Webcam Video Diary gets a nod - One of my lesser known tools makes someone's best of year list
3. User-to-User: Your Input Requested
We love nothing more than having interesting discussions on our forum -- and we love when new people participate in the discussions. In each newsletter we try to highlight a few topics that we think might interest casual readers and that are good candidates for making your first post.
- Lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?
- Show us a photo of your mutt or other creatures..
- Show us the View Outside Your Window
- All-In-One Multi-Touch Computers - Thoughts?
- SOLVED: better keyboard language switching
4. DC Member Software Threads
We love to keep up with projects that our members are working on. This month quite a few of the projects from NANY 2012 are seeing some active development.
- Qatapult - Ecaradec's new launcher from NANY 2012 continues development
- Ethervane Echo - Tranglos' NANY 2012 app continues development
- BARD - DC member commercial product - Organise your sample library
- BugAid - DC member commercial product - Debug C# code
- Kyrathaba's new forum section
- Watch videos of all of the the NANY 2012 programs
- NANY 2012 Write-ups found on the web
We are always interested in hearing what our forum members think of software they use.
- Mini-Review: Wing FTP Server
- Mini-Review: QuickFox Notes (Firefox add-on)
- Mini-Review: HTTPS Everywhere (Firefox add-on)
- Mini-Review: RightNote
- Mini-Review: Notefrog Review
- Mini-Review: Calibre - e-Book (Personal Library/Document) Management
- Mini-Review: Hard Disk Sentinel PRO -
6. General Software Discussion
Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we've split the recent content into sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.
- Best USB/Bootable recovery and "utility" tools?
- Software to watch the Web for specific words to appear
- Recommend less known macro apps and text expanders
- A call to all game design aficionados. Framework for making simple games?
- copy and combine multiple text
- Best Windows 7 desktop background changer?
- How to tell a Story: Live, Lite, Turbo
- ZOOM setting reminder ?
- Software to monitor ALL incoming/outgoing connections to computer?
- Any way to automate news compilation (rss feeds, websites, etc.) daily?
- How I fought Firefox and won
7. Specific Software Discussion
This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.
- Waterfox has now been accepted as a Mozilla project
- Is WinZip still worth updating?
- A Siri challenger emerges. Meet Evi.
- A drag and drop editor for wordpress themes: Headway
- Introducing BaDa - the new way to build web based database applications
- AmazingText Android Widget - Make your homescreen beautiful
- TreeProjects: organize your information
8. Fun and Education: Website Discoveries, Debates, Discussions
What's new in cyberspace? What exciting new sites have been discovered by forum members? What's the current hot topic and debate? Read on to find out...
- DC goes offline to protest SOPA on Jan 18
- Bjarne talks about C++11
- Essay: Mobile Sites vs. Apps: The Coming Strategy Shift
- Google Ends Privacy?
- Recommended website: paidContent.org
- IRLDD NYC - Martin and app103
- Anatomy of a Tear-Jerker: Very cool article on why songs give you chills
- ROSA - SciFi Short Film
- Found on the Web: Short Rant Against Users of Free Web Apps
9. Discounts and Giveaways
We haven't been doing too many discounts and giveaways lately. That's partly a reflection of the existence of some reasonable sites dedicated to such things. But I did want to note a few items.