topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: POSTING 101  (Read 24760 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
POSTING 101
« on: January 28, 2012, 06:36 AM »
Is there a Post Practice Area on DC where I can work on my posting ability but not actually post it?  Like a SANDBOX that nobody else has access to?   :-[
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:25 AM by crabby3, Reason: typo,typo,typo »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: POSTING 101
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 07:01 AM »
Try here:

https://www.donation...index.php?board=55.0

Check at the very bottom of the forums list on the "Forum Home" page. You should see "My Personal Area".

HTH

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 07:44 AM »
Try here:

Check at the very bottom of the forums list on the "Forum Home" page. You should see "My Personal Area".

HTH

Thanks, Renegade!   :)  I have started a DC session many times, with the specific intent of exploring the whole site, but inevitably something catches my eye and I forget all about it.   :-[

If by some chance I compose something I really like... can I post it from My Personal Area ?

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 08:02 AM »
If by some chance I compose something I really like... can I post it from My Personal Area ?

When your post in Personal Area looks the way you want, click Modify, copy the source (the text that appears in the editing textbox) and then paste it into a new post on whatever thread is appropriate. I think only moderators can Move a post.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Try here:

HTH

Thanks, Renegade!   :)  I have started a DC session many times, with the specific intent of exploring the whole site, but inevitably something catches my eye and I forget all about it.   :-[

I have the same problem -- with blog posts as well...

Here's something that also might work for you --- try "TextEditorAnywhere". Do a search in the forums here to find it -- it simply ROCKS~! I use it all the time. It lets you use WIN+A to compose in your default text editor instead of the browser. You end up with a local file as well, so, if you forget and close your browser, you still have it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Here's something that also might work for you --- try "TextEditorAnywhere".
+1.  It's here: Text Editor Anywhere – Edit Text Anywhere with Your Favorite Editor.  And it's free!  :Thmbsup:

It lets you use WIN+A to compose in your default text editor instead of the browser.
Hotkey is configurable  :)

You end up with a local file as well, so, if you forget and close your browser, you still have it.
I periodically archive up these files, and delete the really old ones.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Is there a Post Practice Area on DC where I can work on my posting ability but not actually post it?  Like a SANDBOX that nobody else was access to?   :-[
You might also want to look at this editor that understands bulletin board code. With it, you can compose your messages while offline and polish them to your heart's content before posting them (just copy from the editor and paste into a new message or a reply. It was written by DonationCoder member fenixproductions. BBC Editor provides you with a text entry pane on one side and an output pane on the other, so you see a real-time preview of what you type and how it will look on, say, DonationCoder.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 07:17 PM »
 ;D at post practicing!

It's totally something I would do (and have done).

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 09:00 AM »
Is there a Post Practice Area on DC where I can work on my posting ability but not actually post it?  Like a SANDBOX that nobody else was access to?   :-[
You might also want to look at this editor that understands bulletin board code. With it, you can compose your messages while offline and polish them to your heart's content before posting them (just copy from the editor and paste into a new message or a reply. It was written by DonationCoder member fenixproductions. BBC Editor provides you with a text entry pane on one side and an output pane on the other, so you see a real-time preview of what you type and how it will look on, say, DonationCoder.
-cranioscopical (January 29, 2012, 05:22 PM)

Thanks to you, cranioscopical, I downloaded BBC Editor.   :)   I really like the real-time preview idea and the offline use too.   :Thmbsup:  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:25 PM by crabby3, Reason: grammar »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 06:36 AM »

When your post in Personal Area looks the way you want, click Modify, copy the source (the text that appears in the editing textbox) and then paste it into a new post on whatever thread is appropriate. I think only moderators can Move a post.

Thanks for your info, kyrathaba, you've indirectly answered another question of mine.  :)   I was wondering if I could totally screw-up and post something from My Personal Area and the answer is NO.  Because I have to copy/paste where I want it to be.   ;)

Sorry for the delayed response   :(   and Thanks Again!   :D

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Is there a Walkthrough Video or link to a step-by-step explaination, at DC, of how to insert a photo into a DC-PM ?   :huh:

I have inserted pics in Windows Mail emails before... but have never uploaded anything directly to the Internet.   :-[

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 10:36 PM »
Is there a Walkthrough Video or link to a step-by-step explaination, at DC, of how to insert a photo into a DC-PM ?   :huh:

I have inserted pics in Windows Mail emails before... but have never uploaded anything directly to the Internet.   :-[

sadly there is currently no facility to do that - you may have to go with 1000 words instead ;)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 10:56 PM »
sadly there is currently no facility to do that - you may have to go with 1000 words instead ;)

Thanks Target... but I have to supply actual proof... so even 10,000 words wouldn't help.   :(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 11:05 PM »

Thanks Target... but I have to supply actual proof... so even 10,000 words wouldn't help.   :(

You could upload to one of the image hosting sites, e.g. imageshack.us or flickr.com, then send a link.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 12:06 AM »
just a general note. if you're going to use an external image hosting site, please use a service like imgur, TinyPic and etc.. images posted at imageshack tend to turn into frozen frogs.

i've heard that the frozen frogs can be fixed by creating an account with imageshack. then again cookies go missing, your browser can't find your credentials and you're left staring at the frozen frog..

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 12:06 AM »
You could upload to one of the image hosting sites, e.g. imageshack.us or flickr.com, then send a link.

Thanks Renegade... but I think the key words here are never uploaded anything.  If I already knew how to upload to a hosting site... would I still need help with this issue?   ;D   Or maybe it isn't the same thing...   :huh:

That's okay............

I think I'll just forget about it.  I've been a member at DC for a little while now and have never needed to backup a claim I made... until now.  If the person 'needs proof' they'll have to either take my word or download the program and see for themselves.   No big deal...  :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:18 AM by crabby3, Reason: too harsh »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 12:26 AM »
@lanux128

;D frozen frogs

Thanks for your warning!   :Thmbsup:   But I've chosen my most frequently used option... give up!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 03:07 AM »
@lanux128

;D frozen frogs

Thanks for your warning!   :Thmbsup:   But I've chosen my most frequently used option... give up!

http://imgur.com/ makes it really easy to upload images. Simply click the image and drag it onto the website.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 01:12 PM »
Thanks, I downloaded DuplicatePhotoFinder.
Great wedding photo!

Hey, IainB, could you please supply me with a How-To for the Click to Reveal/Hide box in your Reply #4 here?  I can't seem to figure it out by myself.   :-[

Still a great photo   ;D   Renegade

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Hey, IainB, could you please supply me with a How-To for the Click to Reveal/Hide box in your Reply #4 here?  I can't seem to figure it out by myself.   :-[

That's called a "spoiler". Just select the stuff you want to hide behind the button, then click the little button that looks like this: Screenshot - 1_25_2013 , 2_53_20 PM.png

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 03:26 PM »

That's called a "spoiler". Just select the stuff you want to hide behind the button, then click the little button that looks like this:  (see attachment in previous post)

I'm a mess... I want to hide an image I have but... how do I get it from my machine to DC?    :huh: :-[

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 03:36 PM »

That's called a "spoiler". Just select the stuff you want to hide behind the button, then click the little button that looks like this:  (see attachment in previous post)

I'm a mess... I want to hide an image I have but... how do I get it from my machine to DC?    :huh: :-[
You still practicing??  You should get a degree or something.  How about a badge?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57 PM »
Easiest is to first write your post without the images.

Once your text is done, switch to preview by hitting button at the bottom of the box.

Next - decide what type of image you want to display. Most times it will either be an image or a thumbnail.

Position your cursor where you want the picture to go.

For a full size image hit the little picture button between the YouTube and globe icons up above on the second line.

That will put an anchor in place where the image will eventually be loaded

Wherever the anchor is will be where your picture gets displayed in your post. You can't see the picture until you actually post it to the forum because it also needs to be uploaded before the forum software can display it..

You do that by scrolling down to the bottom of the posting form to where you see Attach:

Click the browse button and locate the picture you want to post.

You'll see the file name is now shown in the box.

Hit post - and when it finishes loading you'll see it on the forum page.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:03 PM by 40hz »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 04:27 PM »
This may be a little bit overboard depending on what you are practicing and if you know this already, I apologize.

Some software I think like Latex and it's WYSIWYM cousin Lyx, holds this concept of never use bold, italics, underline until you have typed all your text.

Some novel writing concepts also hold this minimum, no working/editing on your header and chapters until you have written out all the stories and filled all the section.

For images, you can slow down the necessity of worrying about the anchor by creating a placemark instead. If you can Ascii art it, I guess it helps but mostly instead of [ Invalid Attachment ] you can type in:

[mood: warm]

Every prolonged bloody war gets to a point where a dad must appreciate the birth of their only child before the sunset drops hours after the red hot noon.

[face: bearded] Athalaxix the warlord:

How goes the siege?

[face: young] ???:

It goes...ACK!!! [spurt: blood]

It's not really advisable but if you really have a hard time grasping the attach and the browse box, placemarking without attaching an image helps disassociating yourself from the task and hones you in on how everything in a forum editor is essentially an anchor concept.

For example, you attach an image from browse (which opens your machine) and so once you are in the link inline image box stage instead of thinking this attach thing goes here or image 1 should be in attach 1, you already have a concept that attach 1 should replace placeholder x.

For example [face: young] will be deleted for an image.

When you start getting this consistent world view of forum editors, everything churns in a singular pattern of placemark -> attach.

Insert quote button once clicked attaches a placemark of the quote.

Titles above posts once clicked attaches a jump towards the post you are talking about.

Example, Hey, IainB, could you please supply me with a How-To for the Click to Reveal/Hide box in your Reply #4 here?  I can't seem to figure it out by myself.

Try clicking the blue link in that sentence and see where it loads differently from when you did it.

When you can do that, concepts like tables, permalinks, attaching images versus pasting image urls...they all start to function the same mechanically i.e. they are all one and the same. Clicking a button like SP and writing
Spoiler
has the same role as typing [url] or writing
. It's all anchoring something inside and it's all replacing what's inside and turning it into what you want it to be turned.

There are no real differences. The boxes are all the same. The anchors all hook something.
plus image is image hooked and pulling anchor to the center while image is in turn hooked to [ Invalid Attachment ].

Sometimes (apparently not in the case of spoilers), you can even cheat because when you quote someone's post, the editor is forced to unhide the newly born image and roll back to all the formatting that you see when you or that person is typing. Like if you quote my text here now, you'll see in the posting window how things were written. Where things were messed up. Where things formatted correctly. It's like you have an editor for the thing I wrote even if you didn't type it.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:32 PM by Paul Keith »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 04:23 AM »
Does anyone know the approx. time of day that DC runs the forum backup?

I think the Trigger is: Whenever crabby3 clicks reply/quote/new topic/or anything   ;D