topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kyrathasoft How Long Since? (my 2nd Coding Snacks fulfillment)  (Read 11333 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How Long Since? is a tool for finding the time that has elapsed since a particular date-time; you set the name of the event, its description, and the exact date and time on which the event occurred. Clicking a given event in the listbox, you'll be presented with time elapsed since that date. This value updates each second. You can delete a particular item by double-clicking it in the listbox. When entering the time component of the DateTime of an event you're about to save, simply enter the time as it would be in the local time used by your PC. The program will convert this to UTC, and any items in the listbox that you click upon will show the UTC version of the time.

click to download
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:39 AM by kyrathaba »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kyrathasoft How Long Since?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46 PM »
New version prevents illegal characters from being used for the short description, since the short description is used as a file-name when a historical event is saved to disk.

Also, be aware that the conversion of the time from local PC time to UTC can have the effect of shifting the day's date forward 1 day. For example, if you entered December 28, 1970 11:57 PM and saved it while running the program on a PC set to Central Standard Time, when you clicked on the saved item in the listbox, you'll see the Date and Time change to Dec. 29, 1970 5:57 AM.  Same moment in history, but the shift occurs because we've converted to UTC.

Also, be aware that one year is actually 365.25 days, which is why every 4 years is a Leap Year, and adds a 29th day to February.  So if you're watching the one-year-elapsed-time mark arrive on one of your events, you're going to see this:

howLongSince1YearAgo.png

"0y" doesn't change to "1y" until the Days part of the elapsed time TimeSpan  is 91.25.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:51 AM by kyrathaba »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kyrathasoft How Long Since? (my 2nd Coding Snacks fulfillment)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Newest version available for download is v1.0.0.3, and adds the ability to import Historical Event files (*.hevnt). The key combination Ctrl-I brings up the Import file-open dialog.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Newest version, 1.0.0.4 adds the ability to edit an existing historical event (i.e., one already shown in the listbox). Just change the long description, date, and time to your desired values, then right-click the item in the listbox and click the menu item to save your changes to file.

download newest version

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 05:04 PM »
Newest version is 1.0.0.5. Be sure that the version you have installed is at least v1.0.0.5, because as of this version, the program checks for an update at startup.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:00 PM »
New version, 1.0.0.6, can add two times together:

addTwoTimes.png

download newest version

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 04:50 PM »
v1.0.0.7 corrects the title of secondary form from "Add Two Times Together" to "Add Two Timespans Together".