Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 02, 2014, 09:15:59 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: xplorer2 at Bits Du Jour soon....  (Read 5026 times)
kunkel321
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:17:59 AM »

I can't see a date,
http://www.bitsdujour.com...re/xplorer/#comments32878
but I imagine it will be active in the next day or two.  50% discount.  Comment from Nikos (the developer) indicates you can also opt to get the "lifetime" licence at 50% off (i.e. for future versions).
MrCrispy
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »

I purchased xplorer2 but didn't upgrade to 2.0 since it required a new license (and because it didn't really offer much new features). If the lifetime upgrade is cheap I'll bite.
mwb1100
Supporting Member

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »

It doesn't look like there's going to be a 50% discount for the lifetime upgrade option on BDJ.

The 'lifetime upgrades' is normally $40 (this is an add-on - you still need a base license first).  If you buy the lifetime upgrade bump when purchasing xplorer2, there's a 25% discount, so it's $30.

If you purchase a license for xplorer2 with the BDJ deal, you'll be offered the normal 25% discount for the lifetime option.

Per the developer, Nikos Bozinis, on the BDJ discussion:
Regarding the lifetime cover, it is not part of the promotion but you can purchase it as a bundle for the reduced price of $30

So a lifetime license for xplorer2 would be a total of $45 on the day of the deal.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:29:51 PM by mwb1100 » Logged
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:29:22 AM »

-which still is cheap, I just don't have the money right now, but yeah, thanks; I had a fine Christmas...

Innuendo
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »

Hold the phone!!! At first I was thinking, hey...this isn't too bad of a deal & the guy doesn't seem to be out to gouge people for money since v1 has been around 7 years before he decided to release v2 and ask for more money.

Then I read this on his site:

"And now for the not so agreeable news. Version 2.0 has introduced new unlock keys. If you bought xplorer² in the past you will find your old key is no longer working — even if you bought the free lifetime upgrades policy. However many people will get free replacement keys or a discount for v2.0."

I'm sorry, but the only acceptable statement here would have been to say, "Don't worry. Anyone who bought a lifetime license will be receiving an email with a new key." Might be a false alarm, but it sure got my Screw-O-Meter buzzing. Makes it sound like not everyone will be getting a new key who paid for a lifetime license.

But, again...might be a false alarm.
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »

-I certainly expect it to be a false alarm! "Many have a lifetime key and will get a free upgrade, many do not have a lifetime key and will merely get a discount offer"

I remember why I don't have purchased a key for for xplorer2; although it looks like a normal Windows window, it isn't! Neither the Filebox eXtender button or the button from AnVir Task Manager is showing.
mwb1100
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »

moms 25.0%

What's that?  Is that some sort of jokey line item tag for a tax?
daddydave
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »

moms 25.0%

What's that?  Is that some sort of jokey line item tag for a tax?

I can't say for sure but there does seem to be a value added tax in Nordic countries called MOMS.
mwb1100
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »

Ah - I've often heard of VAT before, but never heard of MOMS before - I thought it was some kind of joke about having to pay the 'nanny state' (a term conservatives in the US use for government programs that they consider too far reaching) it's share.
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »

I remember why I don't have purchased a key for for xplorer2; although it looks like a normal Windows window, it isn't! Neither the Filebox eXtender button
I don't have xplorer2, but I have Listary, which says it works with xplorer2.  I have both Total Commander and XYplorer, and it works with both, to a greater or lesser extent.
kunkel321
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 03:50:26 PM »

RE False alarm:  The statement is poorly worded.  There were many version 1s, and they all used the same reg code.  The developer came up with a new "uncrakable" code system that was incompatible with the old code system.  Folks (like me) who purchased the "upgrade assurance" thing DID get a new code for version 2.

RE Incompatible: x2 has worked with all the different Windows hacks I've used.  e.g. WindowBlinds, ActualWindowManager.  If anything, x2 is TOO MUCH like a normal window...  A common complaint on the forums is that it is too "plain" and not aesthetic enough.  The developer is big into function-over-form.
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 05:37:39 PM »

-thanks. I am much into function over form, when it comes to software.

-----
moms is VAT, in Danish.
Innuendo
Charter Member

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »

It was, indeed, a false alarm.  smiley   If I hadn't been lazy & actually visited his support pages I would have found this:

Many of the existing customers are entitled to free replacement keys as long as:

You have bought a free lifetime upgrades warranty
    or, you bought xplorer² during the last 12 months

All other people will have to purchase a replacement key, possibly with a discount as follows:

if you bought xplorer² up to two (2) years ago then you can upgrade with a 33% discount
    All other (older) customers will need to purchase a license at full price

I think that's a fair policy with regards to who gets a free key or not. This file manager wasn't my style when I checked it out, but it's different enough from everything else out there that I can see where a lot of people like it. I hope everyone who wanted to was able to get in on the deal for a lifetime license at BDJ.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 09:46:54 AM »

I wish Nikos would have dropped the insanely stupid "Lifetime Assurance" idea when he introduced version 2.0. It's nothing but asking for trouble - eventually, you'll run out of new potential customers, and then you're S.O.L if the product is your main source of income... I was kinda surprised he didn't realize it was a bad idea after seeing people's reactions when he said version 2 would require purchasing a new license.

Btw, I'm not criticizing the paid v2 upgrade, that's only fair IMHO - there's been a lot of free updates to v1. I'm just saying the whole "lifetime license" idea is stupid.

- carpe noctem
Lutz_
Supporting Member

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »

BTW, this sale is still on TODAY.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:49:23 PM by Lutz_ » Logged
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 04:24:13 AM »

xplorer² version 2.1! for Mac & PC - Today Only
50% off Pro & Ultimate @ BitsDuJour

21.5 hours left

Tom
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »

Eh, for Mac?

- carpe noctem
mitzevo
Supporting Member

Control is power

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »

Not to rain on the parade but, I agree with f0dder, the licensing went south.  Sad

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
kunkel321
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »

Yup.  They have it again today.  Same deal.  50% off for the app, but no discount for the "lifetime upgrade."
Still a good deal, IMHO.  Also FYI, a long-time user of x2 (Narayan) recently updated his "unofficial" x2 Manual
http://www.free-downloads...ms/xplorer2_documentation
if you want a peek.   It's a PDF...  Like 450 pages or some crazy thing.
erikts
Supporting Member

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 11:17:17 PM »

Thanks to kunkel321 for the info. I purchased Xplorer2 last month after trialing it with Listary Pro.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.04s | Server load: 0.02 ]