Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 21, 2014, 12:53:16 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Babylon discount  (Read 13065 times)
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

Thanks, Curt, for your response.  Cacoder did say that he upgraded to version 9, not 8, for $35.50, but the link he provided seems to be for upgrades to version 8.  That's why I asked the question.

I appreciate your suggestion about the auto-copy extension, but I assume it's only for text in Firefox, yes?  Much of the stuff I read in Spanish is not in a browser, so I'm not sure how useful the extension would be for me.

I'd still love to know what advantages there would be in upgrading to Babylon 8 or 9 from version 6.  Most of the extras they list as new features are of little interest to me.
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 02:55:10 PM »

I don't remember any new features...

An application like Click Cutter is very useful, regarding auto-copy&paste. However, it has been several years, since I last tried it - I don't know if it will work on a 64-bits; it *looks* as if it hasn't been updated since XP.

http://www.clickcutter.com/sec/help/autotools.htm
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 06:38:03 PM »

Thanks, Curt.  I've bookmarked Click Cutter and may give it a try, though I do worry about interference between it and other apps that monitor the clipboard, such as ClipMate and Surfulater.  I guess I can try it and see.

Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »

it doesn't monitor the clipboard, but the mouse!
cacoder
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »

I did upgrade to version 9, even though the upgrade page initially said version 8 upgrade.  This was what I put in the cart: Babylon 9.0 - Upgrade Lifetime License

I found that mouse activation Ctrl-R Click stopped working in babylon a while ago.  After I upgraded today, it has worked again in firefox 5.0.1, and somewhat in IE.  Recognition used to work better though.  The old interface was better; it was more light-weight and it showed all the dictionary icons in the definition window and I could click a dictionary icon to get at a dictionary easily.  Now I have to scroll through the window to see all the dictionaries.  So overall, it has been a downgrade, except to make mouse activation work again (less well than before nonetheless).
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »

Thanks, cacoder, for your helpful account of your Babylon upgrade.  It sounds as if the pluses and minuses balance out in the move to version 9.  In that case, I think perhaps I'll stay with version 6, which I really like except for the fact that I now have to write or paste the words into Babylon. 
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »

it doesn't monitor the clipboard, but the mouse!

Yes, i guess you're right.  Thanks.  If I get really fed up with having to spoonfeed Babylon, I'll probably give Click Cutter a try.  I'm glad to know about it.  I'm not too worried about its working with Win 7 64-bit, since just about all the programs I've moved from my WinXP machine work on the new computer, too.  I was really surprised to see that.
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 05:02:22 AM »

Babylon 9 has long at last been updated. 6 months it took for this new version to be launched. They built inn an OCR scanner, but... unfortunately it didn't change anything. I am not going to use Babylon, (ever?), because it still doesn't support Firefox 4. So much for a lifetime license. Something is seriously wrong inside that company.

http://support.babylon.co...wnloaditemid=13&nav=0

I can recommend WordWeb Pro... http://wordweb.info/
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 08:50:31 AM »

Curt, what you and cacoder have said convinces me to stay with Babylon 6.  I'm wondering, though, about your statement re version 9 not supporting Firefox 4.  Perhaps I missed it, but is there a reason you don't just move to Firefox 5? 
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »

-because of you I have now upgraded to Firefox 5, but
on my computer, Babylon 9 doesn't work with FF 4 or 5.
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 02:30:29 PM »

There is an important lesson I learned a long time ago:

Avanquest = The place were software goes to die

They only have interest in taking money - once they buy a title the development is pretty much dead.

cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 03:49:04 PM »

-because of you I have now upgraded to Firefox 5, but
on my computer, Babylon 9 doesn't work with FF 4 or 5.

Curt, I asked the question simply because cacoder seemed to indicate that his copy of Babylon 9 does work on Firefox 5.  As you know, I have Babylon 6 and have no way to know first-hand how later versions perform.   Sad
steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »

There is an important lesson I learned a long time ago:

Avanquest = The place were software goes to die

They only have interest in taking money - once they buy a title the development is pretty much dead.
Unfortunately that has been my experience too.
urlwolf
Charter Member

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 05:11:58 AM »

I wonder what people think of lingoes. It does the job. I'm also stuck with babylon 5, which I don't use because they wanted money even to retrieve my lost license. The greedy bastards. Lingoes it is for me...
Shades

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2011, 07:45:51 AM »

I wonder what people think of lingoes. It does the job. I'm also stuck with babylon 5, which I don't use because they wanted money even to retrieve my lost license. The greedy bastards. Lingoes it is for me...

Lingoes is quite nice, I use it only in off-line mode, which hampers the translation of full texts, but for translating word by word it is great because there are a lot of (free) dictionaries you can download. Besides this it is free, portable and works like a charm on Win7 (64-bit).

cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »

Thanks very much, urlwolf and Shades, for this recommendation.  I've been looking for something to put on my netbook, since my Babylon 6 license is only for my desktop.  (Indeed, as I was in the process of transferring Babylon to my new desktop, I got a message from Babylon claiming I was using it on too many computers.  I explained to them that I was merely transferring it to a new computer, and they gave me a new license # and told me the old one would expire in a week.  This seems fair enough, and it sure beats the nasty response they made to urlwolf!)

Shades, is there some reason you use Lingoes only in off-line mode?   
Shades

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2011, 10:22:28 AM »

@cyberdiva:
If you must know...that particular PC is not connected to any network...and I want to keep it that way.
As I use the PC to write to my Paraguayan girlfriend, it forces me to think more about what I say and not take the easy way out by writing in English and use Lingoes (that in turn can use Google or other web-based translation service) to do the complete translation for me.

My girlfriend only speaks Spanish (Latin-American) and Guarani...my level of Spanish is not that high I'm afraid to admit. Most of my days are spent talking/writing in English, Dutch and German...so that is not helping my studies of Spanish. Guarani I am not even going to try: that is a really "hellish" language to learn (which is spoken only in Paraguay, it is a very 'rich' language though and I understand from the Paraguayans here that the language is excellent for telling jokes).

Ah well lets expand this post with a travel tip for the time you might end up in the 'campo' from Paraguay. Never say: ejapiro, because people cannot translate its meaning even when they speak Spanish fluently, but it is highly offensive.

cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2011, 06:33:06 PM »

Hi, Shades.  Thanks for your response.  I wondered whether perhaps you distrusted Lingoes, but I see that's clearly not the case.  I've now downloaded and installed it on my desktop to try it out, and I think I will go ahead and put it on my netbook.  It's not as good as Babylon Pro, but with the Vicon Spanish-English and English-Spanish dictionaries, it's better than I'd expected.  And the price is certainly right.  smiley

Muchas gracias otra vez.
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2011, 08:21:14 PM »

Lingoes is fine :-) However, it is worrying that nothing regarding Lingoes has been updated since 2010. It was updated for Firefox 3, and then we heard no more.
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2011, 08:59:59 AM »

Both the Babylon site and the program have been updated. However, Babylon 9 still doesn't work with Firefox (8.01). My reason for posting is that Babylon right now is offering a 50% discount (and why wouldn't they), but you better first TEST IT!

https://store.babylon.com...ffilID=55555&trkInfo=[TType%3A260910_oldcnd][dw%3A1][organic_word%3Awaterpas][textlink%3Agkn19880]&vid=1272619788-3447543158&lang=1&template_id=6

-wow, that is a long address! Does it even work?  tellme
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »

Curt, I just went to the Babylon web site and what I found there was "Last Sale for 2011 - 35% Discount."  Perhaps they'll go back to 50% in 2012?  smiley
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »

-just click my link in my previous post, it works okay in 3 of my browsers
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »

You're right, Curt, your link works and carries the same message, except that it says 50%.  Duh.  That seems so typical of Babylon--the left hand often doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  If I had more time now, I'd be tempted to try version 9, though I'm quite happy with version 6 except it doesn't have the ability to define words when I right-click, or whatever it was I used to do.  I'd like to have that capability back, though if Babylon 9 still doesn't work in FF 8.0.1, it surely won't work in later versions.  Thanks very much for letting us all know about the 50% offer.  One of these days, I may give Babylon 9 a try.  I doubt that this is the last we've seen of 50% discounts.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.03 ]