topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Babylon discount  (Read 28004 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Babylon discount
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 01:30 PM »
Thanks, Curt, for your response.  Cacoder did say that he upgraded to version 9, not 8, for $35.50, but the link he provided seems to be for upgrades to version 8.  That's why I asked the question.

I appreciate your suggestion about the auto-copy extension, but I assume it's only for text in Firefox, yes?  Much of the stuff I read in Spanish is not in a browser, so I'm not sure how useful the extension would be for me.

I'd still love to know what advantages there would be in upgrading to Babylon 8 or 9 from version 6.  Most of the extras they list as new features are of little interest to me.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 02:55 PM »
I don't remember any new features...

An application like Click Cutter is very useful, regarding auto-copy&paste. However, it has been several years, since I last tried it - I don't know if it will work on a 64-bits; it *looks* as if it hasn't been updated since XP.

http://www.clickcutt...c/help/autotools.htm

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Thanks, Curt.  I've bookmarked Click Cutter and may give it a try, though I do worry about interference between it and other apps that monitor the clipboard, such as ClipMate and Surfulater.  I guess I can try it and see.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 06:45 PM »
it doesn't monitor the clipboard, but the mouse!

cacoder

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I did upgrade to version 9, even though the upgrade page initially said version 8 upgrade.  This was what I put in the cart: Babylon 9.0 - Upgrade Lifetime License

I found that mouse activation Ctrl-R Click stopped working in babylon a while ago.  After I upgraded today, it has worked again in firefox 5.0.1, and somewhat in IE.  Recognition used to work better though.  The old interface was better; it was more light-weight and it showed all the dictionary icons in the definition window and I could click a dictionary icon to get at a dictionary easily.  Now I have to scroll through the window to see all the dictionaries.  So overall, it has been a downgrade, except to make mouse activation work again (less well than before nonetheless).

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Thanks, cacoder, for your helpful account of your Babylon upgrade.  It sounds as if the pluses and minuses balance out in the move to version 9.  In that case, I think perhaps I'll stay with version 6, which I really like except for the fact that I now have to write or paste the words into Babylon. 

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 08:03 PM »
it doesn't monitor the clipboard, but the mouse!

Yes, i guess you're right.  Thanks.  If I get really fed up with having to spoonfeed Babylon, I'll probably give Click Cutter a try.  I'm glad to know about it.  I'm not too worried about its working with Win 7 64-bit, since just about all the programs I've moved from my WinXP machine work on the new computer, too.  I was really surprised to see that.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 05:02 AM »
Babylon 9 has long at last been updated. 6 months it took for this new version to be launched. They built inn an OCR scanner, but... unfortunately it didn't change anything. I am not going to use Babylon, (ever?), because it still doesn't support Firefox 4. So much for a lifetime license. Something is seriously wrong inside that company.

http://support.babyl...ditemid=13&nav=0

I can recommend WordWeb Pro... http://wordweb.info/

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Curt, what you and cacoder have said convinces me to stay with Babylon 6.  I'm wondering, though, about your statement re version 9 not supporting Firefox 4.  Perhaps I missed it, but is there a reason you don't just move to Firefox 5? 

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 12:17 PM »
-because of you I have now upgraded to Firefox 5, but
on my computer, Babylon 9 doesn't work with FF 4 or 5.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 02:30 PM »
There is an important lesson I learned a long time ago:

Avanquest = The place were software goes to die

They only have interest in taking money - once they buy a title the development is pretty much dead.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 03:49 PM »
-because of you I have now upgraded to Firefox 5, but
on my computer, Babylon 9 doesn't work with FF 4 or 5.

Curt, I asked the question simply because cacoder seemed to indicate that his copy of Babylon 9 does work on Firefox 5.  As you know, I have Babylon 6 and have no way to know first-hand how later versions perform.   :(

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 05:44 PM »
There is an important lesson I learned a long time ago:

Avanquest = The place were software goes to die

They only have interest in taking money - once they buy a title the development is pretty much dead.
-Carol Haynes (July 30, 2011, 02:30 PM)
Unfortunately that has been my experience too.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 05:11 AM »
I wonder what people think of lingoes. It does the job. I'm also stuck with babylon 5, which I don't use because they wanted money even to retrieve my lost license. The greedy bastards. Lingoes it is for me...

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2011, 07:45 AM »
I wonder what people think of lingoes. It does the job. I'm also stuck with babylon 5, which I don't use because they wanted money even to retrieve my lost license. The greedy bastards. Lingoes it is for me...

Lingoes is quite nice, I use it only in off-line mode, which hampers the translation of full texts, but for translating word by word it is great because there are a lot of (free) dictionaries you can download. Besides this it is free, portable and works like a charm on Win7 (64-bit).

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Thanks very much, urlwolf and Shades, for this recommendation.  I've been looking for something to put on my netbook, since my Babylon 6 license is only for my desktop.  (Indeed, as I was in the process of transferring Babylon to my new desktop, I got a message from Babylon claiming I was using it on too many computers.  I explained to them that I was merely transferring it to a new computer, and they gave me a new license # and told me the old one would expire in a week.  This seems fair enough, and it sure beats the nasty response they made to urlwolf!)

Shades, is there some reason you use Lingoes only in off-line mode?   

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2011, 10:22 AM »
@cyberdiva:
If you must know...that particular PC is not connected to any network...and I want to keep it that way.
As I use the PC to write to my Paraguayan girlfriend, it forces me to think more about what I say and not take the easy way out by writing in English and use Lingoes (that in turn can use Google or other web-based translation service) to do the complete translation for me.

My girlfriend only speaks Spanish (Latin-American) and Guarani...my level of Spanish is not that high I'm afraid to admit. Most of my days are spent talking/writing in English, Dutch and German...so that is not helping my studies of Spanish. Guarani I am not even going to try: that is a really "hellish" language to learn (which is spoken only in Paraguay, it is a very 'rich' language though and I understand from the Paraguayans here that the language is excellent for telling jokes).

Ah well lets expand this post with a travel tip for the time you might end up in the 'campo' from Paraguay. Never say: ejapiro, because people cannot translate its meaning even when they speak Spanish fluently, but it is highly offensive.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Hi, Shades.  Thanks for your response.  I wondered whether perhaps you distrusted Lingoes, but I see that's clearly not the case.  I've now downloaded and installed it on my desktop to try it out, and I think I will go ahead and put it on my netbook.  It's not as good as Babylon Pro, but with the Vicon Spanish-English and English-Spanish dictionaries, it's better than I'd expected.  And the price is certainly right.  :)

Muchas gracias otra vez.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Lingoes is fine :-) However, it is worrying that nothing regarding Lingoes has been updated since 2010. It was updated for Firefox 3, and then we heard no more.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2011, 08:59 AM »
Both the Babylon site and the program have been updated. However, Babylon 9 still doesn't work with Firefox (8.01). My reason for posting is that Babylon right now is offering a 50% discount (and why wouldn't they), but you better first TEST IT!

https://store.babylo...D=55555&trkInfo=[TType%3A260910_oldcnd][dw%3A1][organic_word%3Awaterpas][textlink%3Agkn19880]&vid=1272619788-3447543158&lang=1&template_id=6

-wow, that is a long address! Does it even work?  :tellme:

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 11:44 AM »
Curt, I just went to the Babylon web site and what I found there was "Last Sale for 2011 - 35% Discount."  Perhaps they'll go back to 50% in 2012?  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 11:55 AM »
-just click my link in my previous post, it works okay in 3 of my browsers

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2011, 12:35 PM »
You're right, Curt, your link works and carries the same message, except that it says 50%.  Duh.  That seems so typical of Babylon--the left hand often doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  If I had more time now, I'd be tempted to try version 9, though I'm quite happy with version 6 except it doesn't have the ability to define words when I right-click, or whatever it was I used to do.  I'd like to have that capability back, though if Babylon 9 still doesn't work in FF 8.0.1, it surely won't work in later versions.  Thanks very much for letting us all know about the 50% offer.  One of these days, I may give Babylon 9 a try.  I doubt that this is the last we've seen of 50% discounts.