Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 23, 2014, 08:46:24 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Google-Funded Study Says Firefox Less Secure than Internet Explorer  (Read 2352 times)
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 09, 2011, 07:14:19 PM »

Remember when you downloaded Firefox circa 2004 because Internet Explorer was inundating Windows XP with viruses? Those days have long since passed, and according to a Google-funded study carried out by Accuvant, Firefox is now among the least secure web browsers. Naturally, Chrome is the best.

Obviously this has to be approached with a fair amount of skepticism, Forbes points to Accuvant's industry cred for objective reports on security. his particular report calls out Firefox's inability to sandbox code in the browser, thus preventing hackers and malicious code from gaining access to the rest of someone's operating system.

Source @Gizmodo

Strength in Knowledge
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »

Also curious about this report: where's Safari?

That was my first question too. While I've been a long time IE user I have zero faith in Chrome.
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 01:10:54 AM »

I'll take the risk!  Grin

- zaine (on Google+)
mahesh2k
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:34:01 AM »

So a company which got penalized for hosting pharama ads and now under scrutiny for search monopoly in EU says FF is risky ? Hail google.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 09:05:52 AM »

You can say what you want, but MS has been putting a lot of effort into securing IE in later versions - sandboxing, running in reduced privilege mode (unless you're stupid enough to be running with UAC disabled), ASLR, fuzzing the hell out of their code, et cetera.

What security measures does firefox have? smiley

- carpe noctem
JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »

Security is in an Extension. Duh! Wink

Seriously though, they do have plugins running in separate containers now, and I think per-tab protected memory or something. Both things that I do believe Chrome has had for ages, not sure about IE. But I'm pretty confident both IE and Chrome do have more built-in security measures. Most people responding to this report cite NoScript or other extensions as being FF's security ace in the hole, but it's pretty stupid to say that an extension makes FF secure so it's ok that the base browser isn't.

- Oshyan

The New Adventures of Oshyan Greene - A life in pictures...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.028s | Server load: 0.11 ]