Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 16, 2014, 04:30:02 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: In search of ... a favicon generator/transformer (that works!)  (Read 1624 times)
barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »

Folk,

I need/would like to take an existing .jpg and convert it to a favicon.ico.  I've tried this all afternoon, with no success whatsoever.

The last two (2) things I tried were a Firefox add-on, image2icon and a Web site, http://www.generatefavicon.com/, both to no return.  I've tried every Website/service I could find for this conversion.  I have Axialis' Icon Workshop.  All of these things purport to perform the conversion I desire.  They don't - or, at least, they haven't.

So, anyone with a pregnant idea?  One that might give birth to a working product?

No, I cannot create the damned thing myself ... when it comes to visual design, anyone else with just one (1) eye is likely to outperform me.  I stink at endeavors artistic.

Make a good day ... barn
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 01:35:04 AM »

I just tried this with a jpg and it looks like it worked:

http://www.dagondesign.co...s/favicon-generator-tool/

I think the trick with the favicon is to have a single 16x16 icon. Not multiple sizes in one .ico file.

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 03:08:55 AM »

Thank you, sir  Thmbsup.

That one worked.  Axialis liked it.  More to the point, the Web site liked it  tongue.

I'm curious why the others didn't, but not enough to do serious research.  Maybe download corruption?  I dunno, but as long as the site owner is happy ...
I think the trick with the favicon is to have a single 16x16 icon. Not multiple sizes in one .ico file.

Agreed.  I've seen a few that are like 32x16 (I thimk), and a few that act like GIFs, but I'll stick with the basics on this until such time as I can be certain of what I'm doing  huh.

Sidebar:
Huh!  The spell checker doesn't like thimk.  Apparently it's never been exposed to '70s & '80s inspirational posters  Grin.

Make a good day ... barn
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »

It's been so long since I did the favicon for my site that I'm not sure what I used to make the icon from the jpg. But it's a single 16x16.

Glad it worked for you.

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »

See if you can get a copy of IcoFX 1.6. (PM me with your email address if you can't and I'll email it to you -- IF you can accept an EXE in your email, e.g. Gmail doesn't allow EXE files.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
barney
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 02:30:27 PM »

embarassed I have IcoFX - forgot about it, haven't used it since XP - never installed under Win 7, but it's on my must-carry USB stick  embarassed.

Thanks for the reminder  Thmbsup.  Seems as though I'll be needing it in the immediate future - now the guy wants different favicons for different pages  ohmy  cheesy.

Make a good day ... barn
cmpm
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »

Bradicon! Has worked for me in the past.

http://ico.bradleygill.com/index.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.1 ]