topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Easy Remote access to another PC?  (Read 41234 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Easy Remote access to another PC?
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 11:39 AM »
If it is just a single PC behind the router, you don't need the VPN. My setup has 7-8 pcs behind each router/firewall and as such, forwarding 3389 can be problematic.

There are two options available that don't require anything additional:
For multiple users, change the TS/RDP listening port for each machine to something else so each user has their own port to connect to (I set this up for the brass at work for after hours access).

For a single user, have only one entry point machine and connect to the other internal machines from it (I do this quite frequently on client networks - I've actually gone 4 sessions deep without issue).

Actually there's 3 options if you count the TS-Web option on SBS, but I try not to do that.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 12:59 PM »
For a single user, have only one entry point machine and connect to the other internal machines from it (I do this quite frequently on client networks - I've actually gone 4 sessions deep without issue).

Really? Wow! Good to know. I've gone two deep and thought I was pushing it. Gonna catalog that one. Thx SJ!  :)

Actually there's 3 options if you count the TS-Web option on SBS, but I try not to do that.

+1. That way madness lies IMO. ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 01:23 PM »
used join.me a short while ago -
it took ages to get control - their instructions just kept saying easy easy easy but they left out a step - or else it was acting buggily - we got so addled by it not working that I'd have to do it again to describe exactly what happened. Note, I'm a great beta tester - if something can be done wrong I *will* do it wrong :-) and with beginners at the other end I'm sure they're similar.

Worked well in the end anyways! Both now have it on the desktop so easier access next time.

I ran into a problem with troubleshooting - I am unable to see uac demands for password at their end (more accurately, I'm not able to see the password dialogue itself) - so I'm not able to do anything requiring admin rights from within their user account. I guess this would be a problem with any method....
I guess the only solution is have someone there the whole time to fill in the password, or to use an admin account.
Tom

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 01:30 PM »
Note, I'm a great beta tester - if something can be done wrong

No, no, that makes you a very *good* beta tester! :D

- Oshyan

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I ran into a problem with troubleshooting - I am unable to see uac demands for password at their end (more accurately, I'm not able to see the password dialogue itself) - so I'm not able to do anything requiring admin rights from within their user account.

We use it for code reviews and the like, so I'm not sure of how it interacts with password dialogs, so I can't be any help there. :(  As far as the taking control, on the host computer a control panel should appear at the top of the screen.  A similar control panel will also appear on the viewer's screen at the top of the screen (in full-screen mode) or at the top of the browser window if not in full-screen.

join.me.png

The viewer can click the indicated button to request control; the host will be prompted.  Similarly, the host can click it to give control.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 02:01 PM »
I ran into a problem with troubleshooting - I am unable to see uac demands for password at their end (more accurately, I'm not able to see the password dialogue itself) - so I'm not able to do anything requiring admin rights from within their user account. I guess this would be a problem with any method....
I guess the only solution is have someone there the whole time to fill in the password, or to use an admin account.

I think not being able to take over the UAC prompts may be by design -- if a remote control program could "click" them, then any local badware could as well. I don't know if you can choose to run the client with higher privileges to avoid it.

I've seen the same with TeamViewer, which btw has worked great for me when I've had to fix problems on relatives computers in the past. You can talk even the least computer savvy people through going to their homepage, saving the quick access module on their desktop, double-clicking it, and giving you the login info.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 02:11 PM »

I think not being able to take over the UAC prompts may be by design -- if a remote control program could "click" them, then any local badware could as well. I don't know if you can choose to run the client with higher privileges to avoid it.

running as admin uses a different desktop space (not sure of the terminology) so I presume that's why I dont see it - and yeah, I presume too that this is part of the design/security
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 02:17 PM »
[/url])[/i]
The viewer can click the indicated button to request control; the host will be prompted.  Similarly, the host can click it to give control.

that's what I thought but it didnt work as expected - I think we did stress it a bit :) They tried clicking the mouse button first and were just shown the two names without any dialogue. Then there was confusion about the names - who was the presenter (them, but initially I was thinking it was me seeing as I was telling them what to do :-\ ) In the end I opened the list of users at my end and clicked on their name, and it worked then.

I think it will be easier next time...
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Probably not a shock ... But Remote Desktop (or assistance) works perfectly with the UAC prompts.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 03:22 PM »

running as admin uses a different desktop space (not sure of the terminology) so I presume that's why I dont see it - and yeah, I presume too that this is part of the design/security

I believe the server app would also have to run as a service for you to see them. This was an issue with the older version of TightVNC on Vista/Win7 systems, which I believe was fixed in v2.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 02:24 AM »
Probably not a shock ... But Remote Desktop (or assistance) works perfectly with the UAC prompts.
next on the list then :)

can continue using join.me when wanting to share the desktop
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 03:28 AM »
FWIW TeamViewer allows the remote desktop to interact with UAC without issue.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 04:32 AM »

and free for personal use - that fits the bill - rereading the thread it gets the most votes, also available in German
Thanks for reminding me of it Carol :up:
Tom

Stac

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Id' just use microsoft remote assistant since they are both running Win7.  If you have any issues with that use Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/) free.  Since it is for personal use it is allowed.   If you ever need anything more robust check out ScreenConnect (http://www.screenconnect.com/).  I found them after using (and paying and arm and a leg) for LMI123 for years.  Much cheaper and I can run on my own server.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 11:12 AM »
If you ever need anything more robust check out ScreenConnect (http://www.screenconnect.com/).  I found them after using (and paying and arm and a leg) for LMI123 for years.  Much cheaper and I can run on my own server.

Wow! ...If $275 a seat is a deal...I'd hate to see what you were paying!

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 11:20 AM »

and free for personal use - that fits the bill - rereading the thread it gets the most votes, also available in German
Thanks for reminding me of it Carol :up:

TV is one of my most used peices of software...highly reccomended :D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 08:19 PM »
If you ever need anything more robust check out ScreenConnect (http://www.screenconnect.com/).  I found them after using (and paying and arm and a leg) for LMI123 for years.  Much cheaper and I can run on my own server.

Still, it's cheaper than a USB cable.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 09:13 PM »

Still, it's cheaper than a USB cable.

O_o WTF!!! ...That's completely insane. ...Wow! (you win :))

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 09:25 PM »

Now extrapolate to the maximum length of 5m......that new car is looking a positive bargain now  ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 09:29 PM »

Now extrapolate to the maximum length of 5m......that new car is looking a positive bargain now  ;D

Damn Straight!  :D

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 03:38 AM »
I love the return policy at the bottom - if it doesn't work properly you can return it for a refund less 20% - ie. $700 !!).

So you buy a USB cable that doesn't work and only pay $700 plus two lots of p&p for the privilege. Sounds like a bargain to me.

That site HAS to be a joke

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 05:06 AM »
That site HAS to be a joke

Well, easy way to find out, he gives contact info for dealers in the UK - give one a ring ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2011, 05:18 AM »
"How do I allow remote connections on the computer I want to connect to?"
You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to a computer using Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.
http://windows.micro...ntly-asked-questions

I think that rules out remote desktop (AFAIK they using 7 home premium)
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 06:35 AM »

True, but remote assistance works for all editions and doesn't require any router configuration as the active connect to session time window is (configurably) ephemeral.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 08:10 AM »

True, but remote assistance [...]

gotcha, missed the difference earlier
Tom