topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows' Google Talk clients cause me to lose messages  (Read 5355 times)

vitalyb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows' Google Talk clients cause me to lose messages
« on: November 24, 2011, 05:10 AM »
I am using Android, web (from different computers) and from my android.

One feature that I love is that if I start chatting with a friend on Android, the talk window in Gmail automatically fills with dialogue. That means that I can chat on the bed and then continue chatting from Gmail while seeing the whole conversation on the window.

Sadly, it only works inside GMail, Google+ and Android. In the windows clients: Google Talk for Windows, Digsby, Miranda and Pidgin there is no such feature :(, even worse, if I chat with someone from the android and then sit on the computer the chat sometimes would skip the windows client completely and just go to gmail/android, causing lost messages.

Anyone has any solution?

Thanks!

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows' Google Talk clients cause me to lose messages
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:14 AM »
I had lost messages even when using Gmail and Android only. It's one of the reasons why I don't use GTalk any more. I wish WhatsApp had a Desktop or Web Browser client.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Well the good news is you can keep your chatlogs saved to your Gmail account so you can review any messages you might have missed.

As far as I know, Google Talk client (for PC or Android) will update the conversation only to whichever client you used last. So if you're chatting on Android and then sit down on your PC, you have to type a message into the GTalk client for it to start sending messages to it. If you leave your PC and want to continue the conversation on your Android, you need to send a message from your Android and all future received messages will go there by default.

If you are idle from all Chat clients for a certain time, then they will all receive incoming messages.

It seems to me that Gmail and Google+ Chat both always get the entire conversation whether you want them to or not. :(

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 03:38 PM »
It works perfectly for me with the GTalk client - I find it a bit irritating that the chat Window always seem to pop up in GMail when running GTalk on the same box, but I can live with that. Having conversations stored and available from the web interface, searchable with Google powers, is pretty awesome.

Does anybody know if the GMail integration only happens with the GTalk client, or if it happens with any Jabber/XAMPP client?
- carpe noctem

vitalyb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 02:25 AM »
It works perfectly for me with the GTalk client - I find it a bit irritating that the chat Window always seem to pop up in GMail when running GTalk on the same box, but I can live with that. Having conversations stored and available from the web interface, searchable with Google powers, is pretty awesome.
Does anybody know if the GMail integration only happens with the GTalk client, or if it happens with any Jabber/XAMPP client?

GMail integration works with any client that you can use to talk on GTalk, which means any Jabber supporting client.

Regarding my original post, the only solution I found so far is to enable "Desktop notifications" in Gmail. These only work in Chrome, in theory, but using this extension it is possible to make it work in Firefox as well.

This allows me to close ALL Windows clients and just rely on open GMail for chat.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 12:27 PM »
I find Desktop Notifications to be annoying. They pop up but they don't ever go away unless you close them. It's useful for when you've got Gmail in an inactive tab and you were away from your computer, but when you come back it should close after a few seconds.

I often have GTalk running because I prefer individual chat windows rather than switching to Gmail all the time, but I also have Gmail running all the time. So when I get a chat message, GTalk will pop up the notification (which goes away after a few seconds), and Gmail/Google+ Chat will pop up the notification which doesn't go away unless I close it or highlight the chat window inside Gmail.

Even if I'm actively chatting in GTalk the GMail Chat notification will still pop up. Urgh! I wish Google would just update their GTalk client to have all the features of the current Gmail Chat so I could disable Chat in Gmail.