Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 25, 2014, 08:07:11 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A light-field camera? Ok. This is very cool!  (Read 2930 times)
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:00:25 AM »

There's a new and surprisingly affordable ($399-$499) camera using something called an 11-megaray light-field sensor that's due out in early 2012. Made by Lytro, it allows you to grab a shot and then focus within the picture after it's been taken. Almost like being in one of those police forensic or spy-thriller scenes where some character inevitably says "Can you enhance that spot over there?"

Well...now it looks like you can.

Very svelte and stylish form factor. It also packs an 8X optical zoom and features instant-on. Sweet!

In addition to some excellent uses in news and blogging photography, I'm sure this technology will also be a major boon for all the "up-skirt" and "down-blouse" photo creeps out there. Oh well...

Endgadget has a review of it here. Check it out!
 Thmbsup

(Note to moderator(s): Could one of you folks move this post over to the Living Room? I don't know why I put it on the software discussion board. Thx.) Thanks whoever did it! smiley
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:15:19 AM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »

Lytro's desktop software (which you'll need to open and export .lfp files) is currently Mac only, with a Windows version in development.

mad (Burn the witch, burn the witch!)
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »

-maybe when the Windows version comes, Lytro will have had time to further improve on their little wonder app. Fantastic as it may be (already is), the pictures for now seems to only stand out while shot on short distances.
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »

Meh, so what about the camera or software... What's their patent portfolio look like? tongue (Kidding -- it looks very cool!)

But actually, these guys look like they've got something that is really innovative.

So, who's going to buy them first?  huh

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »

I've wanted one of these since I first read of the "new" light field science/research by Dr. Ren Ng that led to the development of this newtech camera.
"Honey, I shrunk the plenoptic camera!"

This looks like it could be a more significant/disruptive technology than (say) either the digital camera, or Dr Land's Polaroid instant print camera.

But I won't be ordering a Lytro camera just yet, at those prices.
I'll just sit here drooling over it instead.
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »

Almost like being in one of those police forensic or spy-thriller scenes where some character inevitably says "Can you enhance that spot over there?"

Dammit! It all started with Blade Runner's Esper machine...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkcU0gwZUdg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkcU0gwZUdg</a>

...and has now bled into every.single.crime.drama.since.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk</a>

undecided undecided undecided

http://www.nuk3.com/galle...-Enhance-Numberplate.html

Now they go and make a camera thats one step closer.
Crap. mad

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
Renegade
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »

But I won't be ordering a Lytro camera just yet, at those prices.

At $400, it's not bad at all. You're basically paying for the option to take a picture NOW instead of farting around with a camera trying to focus, blah blah blah.

The only other option you have is to spend much more on a good, fast lens for a DSLR.

But, how many people really need to take pictures that quickly? Or need the option to change focus like that? If you need it, then it's likely $400 well spent. I just don't see that many people needing those options.

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 03:58:15 AM »

This is the kind of camera photo that I would like to take: Cappelle sistina

There's more here - "spherical panoramas".
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:04:10 AM by IainB » Logged
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 07:22:56 AM »

THAT is some seriously bad-ass, wicked cool stuff! cheesy

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 08:12:09 AM »

THAT is some seriously bad-ass, wicked cool stuff! cheesy

Now *that* is exactly what it's all about.

I can see this rapidly becoming a natural for game designers where you'd want to bring some heavy duty realism into the mix by using real locations for your graphics. So next time you have a shoot out in the Louvre or a chase scene in some mega-mall like the Cevahir Istanbul, you can use light-field panorama shots and not spend a fortune doing multi-camera video shooting to get decent interactivity.

Note: My GF has put some time into researching this little camera. She has that "Hmm..." look she sometimes gets when curiosity gets the better of her. If she decides to get one I'm not going to try to talk her out of it, that's for sure.  Grin

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 05:22:57 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5zlUe6gOE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5zlUe6gOE</a>

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 11:35:21 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5zlUe6gOE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5zlUe6gOE</a>
That was funky in the extreme!

Some "hexy" artifacts and whatnot there, but whatever -- it's a pretty damn cool idea~! cheesy

chaswill
Charter Member

"Yes!" ... Brain

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »

Very cool, but what happens when you can't catch it? I was thinking of the guy standing on the rock column in the video, diving for a grab...  Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.035s | Server load: 0.03 ]