Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 20, 2014, 11:39:20 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ccleaner settings Windows  (Read 2633 times)
PitrPaulus
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 17, 2011, 05:18:10 AM »

Good day!,
Looking at Ccleaner - Windows - System
i see the check-mark for: Font Cache.
What is this? And is it recommended to clean this cache from time to time?
And
Under Advanced: Several options:
What is recommended to check/uncheck?
Thanks for help.
PitrPaulus
hpearce
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:00:49 AM »

I would only bother if you have some indication is has been corrupted ... You can delete it; but it will just be recreated. This will actually slow down your machine while that takes place.

There are defaults set. I would only override those that I was pretty sure what they do. particularly windows/system settings.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:25:00 AM by hpearce » Logged

Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:05:38 AM »

I have been a user of CCleaner (and Revo Uninstaller) for ages, and, coincidentally only today I was using CCL experimenting with it to see just how much disk space it could recover if I set it to be be more aggressive than usual - e.g., including (for the first time) getting it to zap the Font Cache. The results were quite impressive.

I think @hpearce is correct though in what he says. Anyway, I won't be getting CCL to zap the Font Cache very often.

One problem I have noticed though is that using registry cleaners seems to occasionally blow away my xplorer² bookmarks (they are held in the Registry) - which is very frustrating (tedious to rebuild my bookmarks). I have now set up a regular backup and easy restore process for the bookmarks - on the advice of the author of xplorer² at http://zabkat.com/
Incidentally, he reckons that registry cleaners generally are a waste of time, but I can't agree with that as it does seem pretty certain that junk tends to accumulate in the Registry, over time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.025s | Server load: 0.24 ]