Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • October 22, 2016, 10:23:05 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A Web Host to Avoid - Always Look for REFERENCES!  (Read 1459 times)

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
A Web Host to Avoid - Always Look for REFERENCES!
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:37:50 AM »
A friend of mine has been CC'ing me on support tickets with a web host for double billing him... Santrex... Sweet Jesus... Nightmare... (Google them -- I won't link to them.)

I checked into them... Nightmare...

It doesn't matter where you check, they're rated horribly and every comment just about is that they're simply despicable.

Anyways... Whenever you get hosting... Check references and get a reputable company.

I'm sure others have horror stories. I know I have more.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A Web Host to Avoid - Always Look for REFERENCES!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Double billing was the least of my worries some years ago... ;-)

Years ago I was using GoDaddy. I got some shared hosting account with 100 gigs space (USD 75 a year). Of course I didn't know this space is for web hosting only, and not for backup purposes. So after one year or more I got an email telling me of my wrong-doing, I've to erase the files, else they'll be erased... bla bla bla... so there, my fault, no harm done. I erased my backup files and since I didn't need the 100 gigs account I downgraded to some smaller account, with 5 gigs....

And now the fun started. After the downgrade their system registered me with "hosting space overdrawn", because their "space used" calculation is following another cycle. So I got automatically billed hundreds of "Additional 100 MB" packages, which made about 7,000 USD. I found out about it, because I got an email telling me they tried to charge the money from my credit card, but it got rejected. I've been in a lot of luck, because it exceeded my limit only by a couple of hundred euros.

Anyway, no matter what I tried, the support insisted in paying the bill. After a while, I just gave up. They eventually suspended my account. I thought they'd send some lawyer after me, but perhaps someone figured out their mess.