You might be interested in this: FreeFileSync
It does all of what you say you need, and it can do more than I need right now. It is absolutely fantastic.
I have been trialling three alternative backup proggies for a few weeks now, and I have already chosen FFS and retired my previous backup software.
I particularly like its real-time monitoring capability and maintenance of versions in the backups.
I need a program that will monitor specific files...Key Features:
.... and copy them to a specific folder in order to have copies of them...
... it should constantly monitor for changes and update/synchronize them
... [needs to be] reliable...
...should save many previous versions of each monitored file, because if the monitored file is unwantedly overwritten or get emptied of data, then I would want to find the just previous version of it
(copied from Help file)
1. Compare files (bytewise or by date) and synchronize them.
2. No limitations: An arbitrary number of files can be synchronized.
3. Unicode support.
4. Network support.
5. Transactional file copy
6. Built-in support for very long filenames (more than MAX_PATH = 260 characters).
7. Synchronization database for propagation of deleted files and conflict detection
8. Copy NTFS alternate data streams, compressed and encrypted file attributes
9. Support for multiple folder pairs with distinct configuration
10. Full support for Windows/Linux Symbolic Links and Windows Junction Points.
11. Lean & easily accessible UI: Highly optimized for speed and huge sets of data.
12. Algorithms coded in C++ completely.
13. All progress indicators optimized for maximum performance!
14. Create Batch Jobs for automated synchronization with or without GUI.
15. Focus on usability:
a. Only necessary functionality on UI: no overloaded menus or icon jungle.
b. Select all folders via drag & drop.
c. Last used configuration and screen settings are saved automatically.
d. Maintain and load different configurations by drag & drop, load-button or commandline.
e. Double-click to start external application (e.g. show file in Windows Explorer)
f. Copy & paste all grid data as text
g. Delete superfluous/temporary files directly on main grid.
h. Right-click context menu.
i. Comprehensive status information and error reporting
j. Sort file-lists by name, size or date.
14. Support for filesizes larger than 4 GB.
15. Option to move files to Recycle Bin instead of deleting/overwriting them.
16. Ignore directories "\RECYCLER" and "\System Volume Information" with default filter. (Windows only)
17. Localized versions are available for many languages.
18. Delete before copy: Avoid disc space shortages for large sync-jobs.
19. Filter functionality to include/exclude files from synchronization (without requiring a re-compare!).
20. Include/exclude specific files from synchronization temporarily.
21. Automatically handle daylight saving time changes on FAT/FAT32 volumes.
22. Portable version available (selectable via installer).
23. Native 64-Bit version.
24. Check for updates from within FreeFileSync automatically.
25. Copy locked files using Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service. (Windows only)
26. Create regular backups with macros %time%, %date% within directory names
27. Copy file create/modification times when synchronizing.
28. Advanced locking strategy to allow multiple synchronization processes (e.g. multiple writers, same network share).
29. Case-sensitive synchronization of file, directory and symlink names