IN preparation for my next vacation, I purchased the Sansa Clip Zip. Not because I didn't already have 3 or 4 mp3 players, just because. It's really quite cool!! I'm no mp3 player expert, but I have followed it closely over the years simply because I'm all about music. I'll break down what makes this thing so freaking cool. If you've ever had a Sansa Clip of any model, I'm probably preaching to the choir:
1) Super cheap. I got the 8GB model for $70, and the 4 GB model is $50.
2) Well, what if you want more memory? It has a microSD slot for more memory. Isn't that amazing?!
3) Not only that, but it's not a pain to use the card slot like other players. Very simple menu choice.
4) TINY! It's about the size of that tiny ipod rectangle model. Obviously the build quality is much cheaper, but who cares at this price.
5) GREAT sound quality. Even ignoring the price, it has great sound quality. Easily better than 90% of the players out there, including Apple.
6) No proprietary cables, just regular USB with the tiny microUSB slot on the player.
7) Firmware updates are fast and reliable.
Sansa asks for feature requests...and then implements them in future firmware! Who else does that?!
9) Don't like the stock interface software? You can Rockbox it! Rockbox is a custom firmware for these players. It's not ready for this latest clip zip model, but the other clips have it and people love it.
There you go. Very easily the best bang for the buck player out right now. I would be shocked if there was another even close.