Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 28, 2014, 07:25:06 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Logging out of Facebook is not enough  (Read 4830 times)
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 25, 2011, 08:43:17 AM »

I don't know if the technicalities are right, but it looks plausible, sadly:

http://nikcub.appspot.com...of-facebook-is-not-enough

But logging out of Facebook only de-authorizes your browser from the web application, a number of cookies (including your account number) are still sent along to all requests to facebook.com. Even if you are logged out, Facebook still knows and can track every page you visit. The only solution is to delete every Facebook cookie in your browser, or to use a separate browser for Facebook interactions.

Via Hacker News.

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:51:26 AM »

Sad

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, but it does mean that someone will...

I wonder if cookie blockers will make a comeback...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:29:59 AM »

That's why I use Facebook Disconnect

Facebook is notified whenever you visit one of the more than one million sites on the web that use Facebook Connect and has a history of leaking personally identifiable information to third parties.

Turn off the flow of your data to them!

Facebook Disconnect blocks all traffic from third-party sites to Facebook servers, but still lets you access Facebook itself.

rjbull
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »

Yet another reason to avoid Facebork.
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »

So does that mean that everyone knows that the site I visit most after DC is Vivid.com? tongue (Just kidding - it's NSFW.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:13:26 PM »

That's why I use Facebook Disconnect
Quote from: Chrome
Sorry, we don't support your browser just yet.
You'll need Google Chrome to install apps, extensions and themes.

Download Google Chrome
Extensions > Social & communication > Facebook Disconnect

Should it really help to install Google?  undecided

Anyway, public information:

Facebook Disconnect triggers a warning because the extension has to inject JavaScript into every page you browse to disable the component Facebook links.
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »

Hmm...Logging off may not be enough. But abandoning Facebook completely is still a viable option. smiley

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Ath
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 01:07:13 PM »

But abandoning Facebook completely is still a viable option. smiley

As would not creating a profile cheesy

Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:46 AM »

http://www.zdnet.com/blog...tracking-allegations/4044

I don't know .. somehow I still don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling undecided.

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »

I have the whole "apps" platform disabled in facebook, because I don't use it and I see it as a security risk. When visiting a lot of pages, I get a "you must have the facebook social platform turned on to view this box" kinda things... also when logged out.

- carpe noctem
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 11:35:33 AM »

Hmm...Logging off may not be enough. But abandoning Facebook completely is still a viable option. smiley

+1 - But then again I've got a 12-pack and a big bowl of popcorn waiting for November 5th...  cheesy
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »

http://uncrunched.com/201.../10/01/brutal-dishonesty/

Grin

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 02:32:01 PM »

Wonderful, short and to the point cheesy

- carpe noctem
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »

I'm glad I finally deleted my Facebook Account. I wonder if I still need Facebook Disconnect. . . undecided

Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 10:21:42 AM »

Facebook security hole allows viewing of private photos - I think essentially, no matter what security label you stick on stuff be it private or public, never post anything that you do not want to be public undecided.

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 10:42:33 AM »

I wonder if incognito mode in Chrome is enough?  I only visit facebook to play a game that's not outside of facebook...  embarassed

Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 12:44:42 PM »

http://donottrackplus.com/

http://donottrackplus.com/giveaway.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.051s | Server load: 0.16 ]