Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 24, 2014, 10:40:17 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How To Write Unmaintainable Code  (Read 3233 times)
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:39:50 AM »

I hadn't read this one before, but it is absolutely brilliant:

http://thc.org/root/phun/unmaintain.html

Grin

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 05:40:30 AM »

I saw the title and immediately thought about mouser coming out of the woodworks and talking about his coding "style" ;-)

Strength in Knowledge
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 06:09:20 AM »

That was very good. I skimmed a lot of it, but there are some real gems in there. smiley

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 07:02:18 AM »

Great stuff.  Grin
capitalH
Participant

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:11:48 AM »

Blocked at work - will read later.

Luckily I do not need instructions - it comes naturally to me cheesy
Renegade
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 08:43:16 AM »

Luckily I do not need instructions - it comes naturally to me cheesy

Hahahahaha~!

Nice one! smiley

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »

You could always hire a certain someone I know. Lovely person to talk to. She handles web projects for her employer - who thinks she's a wizard. She's the living embodiment of the 'stream of consciousness' school of programming... smiley

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
iphigenie
Supporting Member

curiosity FTW!

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 03:17:20 AM »

You could always hire a certain someone I know. Lovely person to talk to. She handles web projects for her employer - who thinks she's a wizard. She's the living embodiment of the 'stream of consciousness' school of programming... smiley

Actually that style worked pretty well for web programming for the longest time, since http is a)linear and b)amnesiac. The industry is full of people like that who managed quite well on the server side programming.
It's harder in our days of ajax, html5, rich interfaces in javascript, flash and silverlight etc.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 05:24:21 AM »

Actually that style worked pretty well for web programming for the longest time, since http is a)linear and b)amnesiac. The industry is full of people like that who managed quite well on the server side programming.
It's harder in our days of ajax, html5, rich interfaces in javascript, flash and silverlight etc.

It can be extremely difficult sometimes when you're working with umpteen trillion different technologies.

In 1 portion of 1 project, this is what I need to deal with:

C#
VB.NET
ASP.NET
X/HTML
CSS
XML
TXT
HTTP
JavaScript
2 Frameworks
4 Components
1 Database
6 Projects
4 Web applications (3 are also projects)
? APIs... I don't feel like counting...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but whatever. Point is, it takes a lot of effort to keep each section separate and clean and working well with every other part. It's easy to see why some things turn into complete disasters. (I've been taking my time to make certain that things are as maintainable as possible. e.g. TONS of comments in code with everything as atomic as possible.)

In some ways, you're kind of like a conductor when you're programming -- it's up to you to orchestrate everything and "make music".

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:07 AM »

Iphigenie is perceptive as ever.  Cool Thmbsup

The woman I was speaking of dates back to the "fly by the seat of your pants" era in web development; and built her reputation back when transparent 1-pixel gifs were considered a brilliant web hack. Unfortunately, she has not kept up with current best practices.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »

and built her reputation back when transparent 1-pixel gifs were considered a brilliant web hack.
What, why are you using past tense?

- carpe noctem
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 01:35:04 PM »

and built her reputation back when transparent 1-pixel gifs were considered a brilliant web hack.

Yeah. There is that.  undecided
But I was thinking more along the lines of it being clever rather than sneaky.
 Grin Thmbsup

Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »

Utterly hilarious. What's also great about that piece is that it serves as a good reminder about annoying practices.

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »

[Related to spoiler in previous post... ] Aaaaah. This just made me feel better. I love you guys  Kiss

http://www.donationcoder....26284.msg244024#msg244024
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:56:03 PM by Armando; Reason: wrong link. » Logged

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
ewemoa
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 04:33:41 AM »

From the source:

If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.
- Anonymous

smiley

Thanks for sharing, Jibz!
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »

^^^Would make a great "signature".

Glenn Gould
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 07:25:02 AM »

Hahahahahaha~! Grin

Nice one~!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.01 ]