Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 17, 2014, 04:28:08 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Riff on a Standing Desk: Introducing the Sitting/Standing Desk Hybrid  (Read 2504 times)
40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 10, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »

No opinions or comments from me since I haven't tried it. But it does look like an interesting idea to either build - or use as a starting point for your own design.

Fitting yourself a sit-to-stand desk
July 9, 2011 – 3:06 pm

It’s been a while since I wrote about geeky things, so here goes: I love my new desk setup. Several months in the making and saving, a few days in shopping, and a few hours of setup and calibration… and it makes me smile every time I use it.

Design criteria:

• A sit-stand workstation that makes use of my existing laptop, monitor, and keyboard/mouse.
  • Assisted lifting that does not require power – which means hydraulics or springs or levers or something of the sort. Sorry, geekdesk.
  • Affordable on a grad student’s budget. (This desk is the most expensive piece of furniture in my apartment, but it’s also the one I’ll spend the most time at. The bed is the second most expensive, and it’s probably the one I’ll spend the second most time using, so this seemed fair.)
  • Sturdy — which, for something this specialized and load-bearing, means getting quality components meant for the use, rather than cobbling together stacks of boxes and books and clamps myself.
  • Portable, such that I can disassemble the components and haul them to the next place in a minivan (better yet: car).

I wanted a sit-stand workstation because I spend ridiculous amounts of time on my computer and am the restless sort, so being able to change positions and maintain proper alignment while I fidget around is a real boon to ergonomics. I’ve made makeshift sitting and standing desks for years, from kitchen counters to book piles to a strategically placed empty dresser, but no matter how well I set them up, a static desk just didn’t seem right.

The past few years of experimentation did teach me about how one should be aligned in both sitting and standing positions, though.

Link to full article here.

(With thanks to LXer.com for the find!) Cool

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »

Wow, that looks *really* interesting and promising. Have to check-in a month or two down the road and see if it ended up as good as it looks/sounds (or has it already been a while since this was built? the article is July 9th, haven't read fully yet, heh).

- Oshyan

The New Adventures of Oshyan Greene - A life in pictures...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.024s | Server load: 0.14 ]