Actually you are probably stuffed if you want to do much with faulty memory or hard disk as Apple laptops are notoriously difficult to take apart and probably require specialist tools.
For a Mac Powerbook, you'll need a T6 and T8 Torx screwdriver plus an (I forget which size) mini-Phillips. Keep track of which holes you take each screw out of too. They're not interchangeable. There's something like 6 different screws used in the Powerbook case assembly if my memory serves. Talk about smart industrial engineering practices. Is it any wonder they cost what they do?
*Googles for images and bookmarks them* Good to know thanks
You can blow serious money on this stuff buying "pro" tools made by people like Xcelite and Jensen. But the simple truth is any decent quality screwdriver set will work equally well.
I keep one each of these two sets made by Husky
. They're available at any HomeDepot store. One is a mini slot/Phillips, the other is the Torx set. They're small, fit comfortably in the hand, and all the bits get stored in the handle so they're completely self-contained. I probably do 95% of all my laptop tinkering with these two combo screwdrivers. (A small roll of Scotch Tape, a paperclip, a wooden or plastic toothpick, a small pair of non-conductive tweezers, and a hemostat takes care of the remaining 5% in case you're interested.)Looking for advice, tips, wisdom: Adding my 1st Mac into the [tech] family... Looking for advice, tips, wisdom: Adding my 1st Mac into the [tech] family...
They used to run about $8 USD each although somebody told me they just went up significantly in price. I wouldn't willingly pay more than $10 for either. Right now they're $7.00 and $8.49 at my local store.
Sears also has a nice selection of precision screwdrivers available either in sets or as singles. Singles run between $3 and $4 per. Nice because you only have to buy what you need. (IMO only amateurs show up with a tech case brimming with every screwdriver and pair of pliers known to mankind. A real pro packs only what she/he needs to get the job done.)Looking for advice, tips, wisdom: Adding my 1st Mac into the [tech] family...
There's also a nice 3-piece pen-style combo precision screwdriver made by AmPro that Sears carries for about $22. Comes in three colors and oozes 'Tech-Ninja' vibe with those knurled aluminum handles. This little set has more than you'll ever use. And it should last forever unless you lose one - or it gets stolen. Which happens far more often than we'd like in places (like corporate offices) where you'd normally least expect it.Looking for advice, tips, wisdom: Adding my 1st Mac into the [tech] family...
The only problem with the AmPro (or any combo tip screwdriver) is the shaft length and diameter. If there is a screw in a deep well in the case, the diameter or length of the shaft may not allow you to reach the screw that's lurking down there. Which is why I prefer screwdrivers like the above Husky 'multis' or the Sears precision singletons which have narrower and longer shafts.
That's my 2¢ anyway.
P.S. If your bits aren't already magnetized - magnetize them. It won't damage anything in the laptop since the magnetic field will be very weak. But it will save you time by allowing you to pull a tiny screw out of a hole without needing to turn the laptop over to do so.
Not having to flip the laptop will also save your sanity
by eliminating the need to go searching for that same tiny screw when it bounces off the tabletop and disappears into the rug or gets lost in all the dust and debris found on most office floors.