topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Stop Forum Spam!  (Read 3100 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stop Forum Spam!
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:50 AM »
http://www.stopforumspam.com/

Welcome

We provide lists of spammers that persist in abusing forums and blogs with their scams, ripoffs, exploits and other annoyances*. We provide these lists so that you don't have to endure the never ending job of having to moderate, filter and delete their rubbish.

We provide a "free for use" site where you can check registrations and posts against our database. We list known forum and blog spammers, including IP and email addresses, usernames, how busy they are and, in some cases, evidence of their spam.

There are two ways that you can access this information, either by searching or by using the API provided to automate the searches. The API will allow your site (via a "mod" or plugin) to then make decisions about how you wish to handle the activities of spammers.

Most Recent Submissions

Below are the most recent 200 submissions to our database. Its a small percentage of the 3975817 records that we have.

FAQ

Here you will find a brief overview of what StopForumSpam is about and how we can help you. If you cannot find the information you require, please check out our forums.
What do we do?

We provide free access to our database of known forum and blog spammers. The database provides their email addresses, IP addresses, usernames, spamming frequency, and, in some cases, evidence of their spam.
How can I see this information?

We provide this information throughout the site, including the home page and the daily pages, If you want to find something specific, then you can use the search page. Here you can search by email / IP addresses and usernames. The search page will show you how often someone is listed and over what period of time, plus a lot more. It's a good gauge to determine whether someone is a spammer.

In addition, we provide an API that enables the automated searching of our database. The API allows for forum and blog software (along with countless other systems) to check the database in a way that is easy for them to process.
Im listed on your site but Im not a spammer

Firstly, its not an accusation of anything. A lot of the information that is listed is gathered from "honeypots" setup to trap spammers. Being listed on the site doesnt mean you have been sending spam. The IP address that you have, mightve been inherited from someone that spammed, someone may have just used your email address or even that you have downloaded a virus or trojan. If you use the contact page and be polite, then we can figure out whats going on and get it fixed.
How can I tell if someone is a spammer?

You can search for someone by username, email address or IP. Some telltale signs are ridiculous, gibberish and unreadable usernames, or broken language posts, or links to other sites, either in messages or in user profiles. Some spammers will copy/paste random messages in a thread and post a link there as well. Some will even quote posts, reply with another post and insert a tiny link into the quoted text. Others may not even post, but may just use your site to link to other sites. It is really difficult to offer a 100% "sure-fire" method of identifying all spammers. That's why we provide a search page and a forum in which people discuss their experiences and how to spot spammers.
I run a network. Can you notify me if we get listed?

Sure, send us an email through the contact page, and we can discuss this.
Can I help?

Yes, you can. In fact, this site would not be as popular and accurate as it is if it weren't for the assistance of its members and users.
How can I help?

You can submit any users that have spammed your forum or blog through the Submit a Spammer page. You will need a key in order to do this -- that's how we keep track of what's going on. In order to obtain your own key, please join our forums and check out this page to start.
How much does it cost?

Nothing at all -- that is a promise. However, if you find our services helpful, feel that it saves your sanity, or you would just like to see us stay open, we won't turn you away if you would like to donate toward our costs. If you have a small VPS on offer, we can set up a mirror as well. We do this for the love of it, unpaid, but we have costs to cover, the biggy being the costs of the servers that the website is hosted on. Please consider helping out, as we can't afford to run the site without financial support.
How can you support me?

We will try to support people as much as possible, but we are few and have limited spare time outside our real lives and day jobs, but please feel free to ask about this in the forums. Remember the golden rule: Be nice and you might be surprised at the response you get.
Im going to sue you for listing me!

Firstly, we didn't list you and we aren't liable for any details listed. We are one of the good guys. Secondly, you cant libel an email address, an alias, a domain name or an IP address, they aren't actual beings. Further more, what accusations have been made in the general wider public? Any lawyer that says otherwise is after your money. For more information, see our legal section in the footer of our site.
Who has helped you?

We extend a big thank-you to dZone, who now host the server. We welcome their generous offer, support and technical expertise that they provide.

Privacy policy courtesy of Automattic makers of Wordpress.

http://www.stopforumspam.com

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stop Forum Spam!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26 PM »
StopForumSpam works, and is a very useful service  :up: