topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: It doesnt retain position and transparancy between sessions  (Read 11300 times)

JarC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

New user here, found this yesterday hunting for a solution to keep my ObjectBar from being covered by windows or vice versa. Only got one problem. Desktop Coral refuses to retain its set position, size and transparancy, I need to set it to the desired size/location/transparancy each time I log in...

any ideas to overcome this?

edit: another problem is that if a program isn't started maximized, it is still possible for that program to cover the 'corral' when it is launched, similar to the problem of having the taskbar visible at the top of the screen and programs often opening with the caption covered by the taskbar, although this is strictly a Windows problem, it would be nice if the Desktop Coral would force any window overlaping it to resize so it nolonger covers the 'corral'. (If memory serves me right, there should be a winAPI that sets the dimensions of the actually available desktop area....? ) 

JarC

« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 02:36 PM by JarC »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: It doesnt retain position and transparancy between sessions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 02:31 PM »
hi jarc,

it should be remembering its position and transparency.

can you do a test to help me figure out what is going wrong?

go to the desktopcoral directory and see if there is a DesktopCoral.ini file, and let me know if there is.
if there is, delete it.

then run DesktopCoral from that dir (ie double click), don't run from start menu.
dock it to some side of screen and set transparency to some level, and then exit it.

then restart it and see if it remembers position.
if not, see if it at least created the ini file
if it did save an ini file try this: repeat the procedure, dock to side of screen, set transparency, then exit, then open up the ini file in notepad and post its contents.

what i'm tryign to figure out is if maybe the problem is in saving its ini file. either due to permission problems or bug.

JarC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 03:13 PM »
Hi Mouser,

:up: inifile ! that is the problem...it can't find it when it gets started, at least not the way I launch my startup items... :D and btw. forget that bit about the winAPI call, only realized after hitting post that this would probably force any window out of the designated area...

Ok, here's what happens, coz I got a shitload of stuff loading at startup, I switched to a different method of launching startup items. I just have one item in my startup folder and thats a vbs script that launches everything in the background, thus giving me immediate access to my desktop, which would otherwise be unresponsive for about a minute or 2 untill they are all started. The problem however with launching programs from a script, is that the working directory isn't set...and thats the culprit in this case. On launch DesktopCoral can't find any ini file, but DOES save it in its own folder...

so the solution is to just put the startup shortcut in the startup folder instead of having a launcher manage it. Thx! Its been a long time since I encountered that problem, luckily none of the other stuf I have in my startupmanager suffers from this, so its no big problem...

btw...about programs still being able to cover the 'corral' if they aren't started maximized.  The odd thing is that if I resize the 'corral', it will force any window 'out of the way' if that window would endup covering part of the 'corraled' area...

thanx
JarC
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 03:16 PM by JarC »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 04:06 PM »
my apps are *supposed* to be smart enough to set the working directory to their own dir no matter how they are started, but i may have messed it up on this one, ill try to fix in next version so this isnt an issue.