topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Automatic Archiving?  (Read 6181 times)

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Automatic Archiving?
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:21 AM »
I was wondering if any application existed that would automate the archiving (to save disk space) of files in a directory after a certain amount of time? Something that I could specify to archive files in a directory 30 days after they were last created/modified would be great. Anything?

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Automatic Archiving?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:48 AM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:53 AM by ha14 »

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:24 PM »
Great tools but both of them only move files. Have any that compress/archive them?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 05:08 PM »
This would actually be a piece of cake to write as a Coding Snack if you can't find anything already out there.

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 05:17 PM »
I've still not really found anything to accomplish this.
The end goal here was because I use Juice to automate downloading podcasts, which I download to my Dropbox so that I can listen to them across my devices. After a while, the files began to suck up a lot of space and I don't necessarily want to delete them because I still may have not listened to them, would rather just compress them in a .rar or something like that. With an application like this, I could have it monitor that podcast directory for files that are a certain age old from today and have them automatically compress. It wouldn't need to monitor folders in realtime because then we'd be compressing files one by one, rather something that I could run manually, or on a schedule, every few days.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 05:23 PM »
I assume the podcasts are MP3 or some other lossy (compressed) format.  If so, you do realise that you're not going to save hardly any space at all by compressing those files, right?

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:29 PM »
I assume the podcasts are MP3 or some other lossy (compressed) format.  If so, you do realise that you're not going to save hardly any space at all by compressing those files, right?
Yeah, that really wasn't the best singular example. Another though: http://screensnapr.com/v/UcBk8X.png (folder comprised entirely of scraped .txt files)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 02:18 PM »
Something that I could specify to archive files in a directory 30 days after they were last created/modified would be great.

Which datestamp would you like me to use?  The created or the last modified?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:47 PM »
If you're using Windows, you can set it up to compress older files automatically.

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Something that I could specify to archive files in a directory 30 days after they were last created/modified would be great.

Which datestamp would you like me to use?  The created or the last modified?
Being able to choose between either would be great, but if only one then I think last modified would be best. Thanks so much if you're planning to code this up!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Being able to choose between either would be great, but if only one then I think last modified would be best. Thanks so much if you're planning to code this up!

Give this a shot: 30 Day Archiver

2011-05-10_171608.pngAutomatic Archiving?

I wrote it around the 7-zip commandline app (7za.exe) so you will need to provide that yourself.  You can download it from here: http://downloads.sou.../sevenzip/7za920.zip Just put the 7za.exe in the same folder as the 30DayArchiver.exe.

The options should be self-explanatory.  Notes/caveats:

• To use the different types of archive formats, simply specify that in the Output field i.e. c:\path\file.zip or c:\path\file.7z, etc.
  • If you attempt to use the same archive file, the program will give you option to update the existing archive file.
  • If you cancel whilst updating an existing archive file, you will corrupt it.  If this proves to be an issue, let me know and I'll code around it.
  • Obviously, choosing zero compression will lead to the fastest results.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:31 PM by skwire »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Hyphen, were you able to find some time to test this out?   :)