topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: I think we should close the Company Complaints and Compliments Section  (Read 30508 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I think we should close the Company Complaints and Compliments Section.

This issue came up a year or so ago when we had another thread or two that just seemed to bring out the worst in everyone, and having a dedicated section for this stuff seems to give the discussions disproportionate weight and importance that doesn't reflect the spirit and focus of the site.

I'm not saying people shouldn't post legitimate complaints when they have them, I just don't think the idea of having a dedicated forum section for it is helping anyone.

It seems to encourage the worst behavior in everyone and act as a giant incentive to the worst tendencies in people, and i think it's probably too inviting a target for companies who want to promote themselves or hurt their competition.

If people have complaints or compliments they can post them in one of the other sections of the forum.  

So i propose that we move all of the posts in this section to the general software section or living room as appropriate and then remove the empty Complaints section.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:14 PM by mouser, Reason: minor rewording »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Fair enough
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Sounds good.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hear, hear.  *raises his coffee mug*
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:48 PM by skwire, Reason: Grammar edit. »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It did seem to keep it largely confined to that one spot rather than all over the Living Room or General Software sections.

But if it's just becoming a free-standing 'slag zone' perhaps we are better off without it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:26 PM by 40hz »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Works for me.

- Oshyan

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fair enough.

I got carried away in PE thread because of 'making software as hobby' remark and had to take down those rhetoric attempts of brand management. Sorry if it was in anyway troubled you mouser. My apologies.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's no one in particular and no one incident, it's something i've been thinking about for a while.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
$0.02 -> Keep the section (there must have been a rationale for creating it in the first place) but have some strong guidelines that people must view and adhere to before posting. No personal attacks, etc, etc. That way it's all confined to one place and people are well aware of what they should/shouldn't be doing before they post.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^+1 (โ‚ฌ 0,02)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Or limit it to Compliments and Recommendations? Just a passing thought...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

bscott

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think Renegade's suggestion of limiting it to Compliments and Recommendations is a good one.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
+1 w/nosh - that sounds like a good compromise. It could be kept under control by a firm set of rules and maybe a little less frugality with the moderator's kill-post and ban authority in that section.

That would allow you to keep all of that nonsense out of the regular forum areas but still leave space for reasonable complaints and consumer 'advisory' type posts. Also make Compliments its own section while you're at it, as has been suggested by the RenMan. That's a really good idea.

That's my 2ยข anyway. :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:26 PM by 40hz »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Or limit it to Compliments and Recommendations? Just a passing thought...

I'm going to post an Apple related thread there and try your patience.  ;D
Good night, everyone!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What exactly is the value of having it separated from other discussion areas? It really does just draw attention to it (good or bad).

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What exactly is the value of having it separated from other discussion areas? It really does just draw attention to it (good or bad).

- Oshyan

But it helps contain it as well. It can act as a troll & spammer magnet for bots and drive-by posters too.

I'd personally rather not have to see any of that nonsense showing up regularly in the main areas if at all possible. :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is possible to ignore individual threads in the DC forum. Would it not be a good idea to be able to have an option like 'ignore forum section', so none of the threads created in that section will appear for those who do want that?

Seems the best compromise to me, giving anyone the option to ignore sections if they so desire.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
$0.02 -> Keep the section (there must have been a rationale for creating it in the first place) but have some strong guidelines that people must view and adhere to before posting. No personal attacks, etc, etc. That way it's all confined to one place and people are well aware of what they should/shouldn't be doing before they post.

This seems like a good middle ground, along with re-naming it.  I think it does serve a purpose, and is a service to the members of DoCo, and visitors in it's current state.  Maybe even limit the topic creation there, so that only one thread is created per service/product?  And make it more of a discussion of companies rather than labeled complaints or compliments?

Just throwing out thoughts....

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is possible to ignore individual threads in the DC forum. Would it not be a good idea to be able to have an option like 'ignore forum section', so none of the threads created in that section will appear for those who do want that?

Seems the best compromise to me, giving anyone the option to ignore sections if they so desire.

Ignoring sections seems a bit along the same path as ignoring users, i.e. creating potentially parallel but non intersecting sub boards.  I rarely even ignore threads, because when you do, there's a possibility of missing something that is referenced in a different context- maybe even something enlightening or productive.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Honestly I think having a whole section for it invites *more* topics of that kind, and makes for more contentious ones as well. Granted you could have the occasional thread turn nasty in the main forum, but I suspect it would be less often, and in general be less abused. Just my gut feeling though.

- Oshyan

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Honestly I think having a whole section for it invites *more* topics of that kind, and makes for more contentious ones as well. Granted you could have the occasional thread turn nasty in the main forum, but I suspect it would be less often, and in general be less abused.

I think so as well.
i.e.
I'd scrap it - this idea of keeping it & strictly regulating it is not really dc style (that's more my style "delete the beggar" lol).
This place mostly gets along fine without a big rule-system, it would be a shame to have to bring one in now.
Tom

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think a few people have hit the nail on the head here. Nobody wants the flaming, but the section has a purpose which requires proper moderation and guidelines to come to its fullest potential.

First, I think the name might need a change. The fact 'complaints' come before 'compliments' sticks, and I must say I tend to always think of it as the company complaints section. Moving the wording around, or maybe naming it something like 'Company Experiences' or 'Company Support Stories' might move the negative connotation away.

Second, proper moderation is a must. I can't say I really noticed any of the topics that bring out this supposed worst, but I think keeping stuff on topic and keeping users from unnecessarily emphasizing the same aspect again and again in a negative context (while not detailing their personal experience with the company) should make a big difference.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another factor to consider is that I have always maintained that the fewer sections the better.  While there is some logic in having different sections for different subjects -- i think it detracts from the common sense of community, and should be kept to a minimum.

I think for the most part the different forum sections serve some purpose in localizing very specific discussions or information.

But the Complaints and Compliments is an anomaly -- it isolates discussions that would otherwise be completely at home in the General Software section or Living Room, and only serves to give them much more weight than they have any right to have.

And when in doubt, simplify.  The simplest thing i think is just absorb those complaint and compliment stuff into our normal discussions.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:36 PM by mouser »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I agree, if it stays it needs closer monitoring and moderation. Just, as tomos said, that's not really DC's style in general (in the other forum sections). As long as there are people willing to moderate it who will do a good job I'm fine seeing it stick around, but personally I would just ditch it.

Mouser's latest point about fewer sections being better is also important and one I agree with, along with the fact that it does seem (in my eyes) to give those posts extra "weight".

- Oshyan

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In my experience if only compliments are encouraged, ie a place to hear more positive stories rather than negative ones, then it increases the possibility of spam not decrease it. Unless it is heavily moderated and I would even go as far as saying that every post would need to be reviewed before being visible/posted