Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 18, 2014, 02:11:17 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here using a standing desk?  (Read 16835 times)
urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2011, 01:20:49 PM »

I've used a standing hydraulic table for ~7 months now. I do 70% standing, switching back and forth to sitting when I feel like it. I would not change my setup for anything in the world.
barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »

The long periods of standing just allow the damage caused by the valve failure to happen quicker

???

Sounds like a circular argument to me.  Or, perhaps more correctly, a specious one.  It still says that you'll get varicose more quickly by standing because of bad valves, and states prior to that, that the valves, at lest on the tested group (all female  huh) failed early on in their life.

Standing may not cause the problem, but is acknowledged to accelerate it.

That's like saying someone is obese because of a medical condition, not because of dietary excess ... either way, they're still fat  tellme tongue.

Make a good day ... barn
barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2011, 01:27:29 PM »

I've used a standing hydraulic table for ~7 months now. I do 70% standing, switching back and forth to sitting when I feel like it. I would not change my setup for anything in the world.

Now that seems practical.  Just out of curiosity, where did you obtain the table?  That might work will for this decrepit wreck that houses whatever is me  undecided, but most all of what I've seen is industrial, usually heavy duty and heavy price.

Make a good day ... barn
urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »

It is heavy as hell, yes.
The brand name is linak. I bought it used in Berlin.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »

ArsTechnica report on standing desk experiment: http://arstechnica.com/ga...-at-an-elevating-desk.ars
Lashiec

« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »

A brief article from Cornell University, with conclusions extracted from studies done there, and the recommendation of taking a break by getting up once in a while, like many posters have suggested through the thread.

Something that everyone should be doing to avoid the dreaded carpal tunnel syndrome, right? Yeah, me neither tongue
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2011, 09:38:41 AM »

A brief article from Cornell University, with conclusions extracted from studies done there, and the recommendation of taking a break by getting up once in a while, like many posters have suggested through the thread.

Something that everyone should be doing to avoid the dreaded carpal tunnel syndrome, right? Yeah, me neither tongue

I use kirby's alarm to set alarms on every hour to take a break for 5 minutes.  And every three hours during that time, for the first minute I do a minute of deep breathing.  It helps more than it would seem for such a simple change...

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2014, 06:15:42 AM »

Although I haven't tried a standing desk, I know enough about such ideas to know this would be my experience:
http://thenextweb.com/lif.../09/killed-standing-desk/
40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »

Although I haven't tried a standing desk, I know enough about such ideas to know this would be my experience:
http://thenextweb.com/lif.../09/killed-standing-desk/

Funny...but the picture of him sitting slightly back with legs elevated is the way I've been sitting when I'm at a desk for most of my life. And that's despite regularly being told it was "healthier" to "sit up straight and keep both feet planted squarely on the floor." Slouching back (as I call it) seemed to be my preferred posture for anything requiring long periods of concentration or brainwork. The body just seems to disappear and the mind go into "the zone" whenever I'm seated like that. (Although after all these years of repetition, I may have just conditioned myself to focus whenever I'm in that position.) I've discovered I can remain standing to draw, build, or do something active. But I can't remain constantly standing and truly and deeply concentrate on something. I will get up and pace around - or stare out a window every so often while working on a 'mind project.' But my best 'thinking position' is definitely seated and fairly stationary. And I don't think I'm all that unique in that regard.

Most of the people who I've heard advocate for standing desks are noticeably athletic younger people with no disabilities or old injuries to deal with. They're like those trainers you occasionally run into at fitness centers who've been decidedly fit and healthy their entire lives and simply can't comprehend anyone being any different.

Like her:

You know the type.  Grin
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:33:33 PM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »

It's not just slouching, however.  Note the posture of his back.  If your monitors and keyboard are not at the correct angle, you will tend to crane your head forward while in that position.  Until I lowered my chair, I found myself doing that, and had aches and such in the back of my neck.  Your neck needs to rest supported (which is the reason that the high backed chair is important also).

40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2014, 02:26:39 PM »

Hmm...now that I think about it, my monitor is elevated and angled downward when I do that. I'll also keep a small wireless keyboard/trackpad combo (or rigid backed 1/4" graph paper pad) in my lap most times too. I also frequently use Dragon-NS with a headset in combination with the above.
 smiley

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »

Yeah... I was already doing most of this.  Because of trends and studies, I kept thinking about moving to a standing desk.  Glad to read this, however.  Thmbsup

paulobrabo
Supporting Member

The Brazilian Bomber

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »

Most of the people who I've heard advocate for standing desks are noticeably athletic younger people with no disabilities or old injuries to deal with.

Like her:
 (see attachment in previous post)
You know the type.  Grin

I'm certainly not her, being otherwise lazy and closer to 50 than I have ever been – but I work on my standing desk at least 8 hours a day. I read the linked article some days ago because the title caught my interest; I thought I would find a good, sound medical reason the author had discovered to kill his standing desk... and in the end it was only the pain – certainly a good reason, but a very personal one, because I've never felt any.

My story goes the other way round because I had much pain in my back... until I started to work standing. I would suggest everyone interested to have a go: use a makeshift platform to work standing some hours a day for some days. I'm far from a paragon of health, but I just can't work sitting down anymore. It feels like I am literally chained to the chair, unauthorized to move and robbed of my most sacred personal freedoms Cool

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:59:33 PM by paulobrabo; Reason: Changed the photo for one where I look [justifiably] older » Logged

English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.
40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2014, 05:33:17 PM »

@paulobrabo - ^Well...I guess it's a good thing I said "most of the people" and not "all of the people" huh? Grin

paulobrabo
Supporting Member

The Brazilian Bomber

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2014, 05:47:02 PM »

@paulobrabo - ^Well...I guess it's a good thing I said "most of the people" and not "all of the people" huh? Grin

Of course!  Thmbsup But it's always the damn exceptions that won't let you sleep!  Cool

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2014, 05:50:33 PM »

I suspect these things depend on your posture and, if relevant, your reason for having back pain in the first place. I'd imagine that standing could help correct, or exacerbate a back problem, depending on what it is.

FWIW, standing gets me in the legs. After an hour or so I have to keep going up on my toes, after a couple of hours, I just want to put my feet up for the rest of the day.
Then again, I dont like sitting for too long either undecided smiley

This is making me think about my desk setup - think my monitor is too high for the way I sit...

Tom
Vurbal
Supporting Member

Mostly harmless

« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »

I couldn't work standing up now because of my bad knee. By bad I mean serious enough the doctor would have recommended replacement before my last surgery except I was only 26. I expect to finally have my first knee replacement either this year or next. If that alleviates my back problems I would seriously consider a standing desk.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.
barney
Charter Member

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2014, 08:31:29 PM »

I suspect these things depend on your posture and, if relevant, your reason for having back pain in the first place. I'd imagine that standing could help correct, or exacerbate a back problem, depending on what it is.

Imagine no more  undecided.  As an old cripple, I have a fused hip.  It's fused fifteen (15) degrees forward and ten (10) degrees to the side.  As a result, I neither sit nor stand comfortably.  Drives me crazy when I read about proper posture anent discussions about sitting or standing while at a desk  Cry.  I've been able to use a slant board in the past for extended coding/reading sessions, but that's not a currently viable option  Sad.  And sitting or standing for more than about twenty (20) minutes at a time aggravates lower spine (degenerative disk disease, lower five (5) vertebrae).

Not bitching about it, and this thread has been quite entertaining - almost comical at moments - but I stand/sit as a tribute to the phrase that not all things fit all people  tongue tongue.  (You should see my reaction(s) to most exercise commercials  Grin.)

Make a good day ... barn
paulobrabo
Supporting Member

The Brazilian Bomber

« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2014, 02:24:00 AM »

Maybe it's since we're not perfectly healthy (who is?!)  that each of us should spend a lot of time and thought looking for an optimal solution for our own condition and way of working. The way we work is in the end the way we will (or wish) to be living in the foreseeable future.

There are no fit-all solutions, but there are paradigms that we should all weigh and examine deeply. The mind is weak, but the flesh wants to find a way!

Now that I think of it, in the early morning (before 6 a.m.) I do some writing lying down on my bed, using my netbook.  Grin For some of us a mix of different solutions will maybe work better than a single one. We humans are not known for not being complicated.  undecided

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.05s | Server load: 0.21 ]